For the Sous Vide fans...

Wingrider

Established Member
Lol this is bullshit.

I ordered one like 2 weeks ago and now it's $50 less.
Order a new one, send the other one back.
So I've been using a couple different methods to sear my steaks after removing them from the bath. I liked the sear I would get from a hot cast iron pan, but I always had to heat the pan on my grill outside due to all the smoke it creates during the searing process. So I found a device which I believe started initially from a Kickstarter campaign. It's called a "Searzall" and I'm hear to tell you it worked like a charm. I was able to sear my steak right in the kitchen with zero smoke. It's nice because you can actually watch the sear as it happens and you know exactly when the meat has been seared enough.

FYI- MAPP gas runs hotter than propane if you want that extra kick- http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-equipment/more/best-sous-vide-torch-reviews

https://www.amazon.com/WORTHINGTON-CYLINDER-332585-Pre-Filled-Cylinder/dp/B00826MGT2

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

08mojo

Established Member
What bags are you using while cooking? How do you measure meat temperature, is it done by removing the meat from the bag and probing or can it be done real time during the cook?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What bags are you using while cooking? How do you measure meat temperature, is it done by removing the meat from the bag and probing or can it be done real time during the cook?
I just use ziplock bags, so far I haven't been wronged by it. I put the food in there and keep the top of it cracked and push it down it into the water. It slowly pushes the air out and I seal it.

Also, if you go by guidelines on the internet of time and temp, you don't need to probe them.

331 LX

Established Member
I just use ziplock bags, so far I haven't been wronged by it. I put the food in there and keep the top of it cracked and push it down it into the water. It slowly pushes the air out and I seal it.

Also, if you go by guidelines on the internet of time and temp, you don't need to probe them.

I have never probed mine. There really is no reason to.

You guys would really benefit from getting a FoodSaver when one pops up on Slickdeals and start buying everything in bulk, then vac seal it and toss it in the freezer IMO. Hell, I paid full pop for the big food saver at Sams club and I love it. You can get the generic foodsaver rolls on Amazon and they last forever.

It's nice to walk in the house and just toss your meat in their frozen and let it ride. You just have to take about an hour of your night after grocery shopping to vac seal everything. I generally do Salmon/Steaks/ chicken at once.

331 LX

Established Member
Finally got onto flickr. **** Photobucket

As posted earlier, I'll add to the beef tenderloin pics :)

35518257500_b68b6a8c34_h.jpg

35518257460_c81c1910c8_h.jpg

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Too lazy to upload a pic..but, built one of these the other day for my Anova. Works like a charm. Did a apple butter pork tenderloin.
Power-Benchmark-Chest.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Too lazy to upload a pic..but, built one of these the other day for my Anova. Works like a charm. Did a apple butter pork tenderloin.
Power-Benchmark-Chest.jpg
More pics please.

I have a cooler with broken hinges, that would work well.

Blown 89

Established Member
Pork tenderloin and pork chops using sous vide are to die for. Pork benefits from sous vide more than anything I've ever tried. Bacon is brilliant as well. While steaks are difficult to mess up I prefer them on a smoker. If you prefer to marvel in your doneness and take pictures of your steak sous vide can't be beat, if you value taste there are better methods.

I have a searzall but think it's a bit of a waste for most things. Cast iron or chimney are the best methods for the final sear. I toast buns and bread with the Searzall the most. It is good for sausage though. You'll get a nice Browning on them without braking the casing and drying them out.

Wingrider

Established Member
I ordered one after reading this thread. Anyone just using ziplock bags?
My buddy that turned me onto this uses Ziploc bags and is adamant to only use the that brand as the off brands don't aways seal and are thinner. says lower them into the water until the air is gone then zip closed.

I lucked out and my in laws had a seal a meal type thing that I have taken ownership of with rolls of bag material. The advantage to the rolls is you can make any size bag you could need.

In all cases my buddy puts a butter knife or similar type of weight in the bottom of the bag with the food to make sure it sinks or sits vertically in the water. I haven't bothered, but can see its value.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
More pics please.

I have a cooler with broken hinges, that would work well.

Just drilled a hole in the top with hole saw the same diameter as my Anova. Filled the top with spray foam as my cooler lid was hollow. Picked up an expandable rack to place inside of cooler so I can cook more than one item at a time.
0095091_PE233458_S3.jpg

SVTDarin

Established Member

I use zip lock freezer bags

You don't measure temp. the sous vide cooker does that. You set it to an exact temp. and cook for required time.

Users who are viewing this thread