For the Sous Vide fans...

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So I've been using a couple different methods to sear my steaks after removing them from the bath. I liked the sear I would get from a hot cast iron pan, but I always had to heat the pan on my grill outside due to all the smoke it creates during the searing process. So I found a device which I believe started initially from a Kickstarter campaign. It's called a "Searzall" and I'm hear to tell you it worked like a charm. I was able to sear my steak right in the kitchen with zero smoke. It's nice because you can actually watch the sear as it happens and you know exactly when the meat has been seared enough.

U.M.

searzall1.jpg
searzall4.jpg
searzall6.jpg
searzall7.jpg
searzall8.JPG

331 LX

Established Member
So I've been using a couple different methods to sear my steaks after removing them from the bath. I liked the sear I would get from a hot cast iron pan, but I always had to heat the pan on my grill outside due to all the smoke it creates during the searing process. So I found a device which I believe started initially from a Kickstarter campaign. It's called a "Searzall" and I'm hear to tell you it worked like a charm. I was able to sear my steak right in the kitchen with zero smoke. It's nice because you can actually watch the sear as it happens and you know exactly when the meat has been seared enough.

U.M.

View attachment 94777 View attachment 94778 View attachment 94779 View attachment 94780 View attachment 94781

Yup it's a beast.

I'm on my 3rd year with my Anova. I use it probably 3 times a week, there's nothing like it. Salmon is currently my favorite @ 116 degrees! I think I have sold at least 10 Anova's for them LOL

Uncle Meat

Established Member
I'm on my 3rd year with my Anova. I use it probably 3 times a week, there's nothing like it. Salmon is currently my favorite @ 116 degrees! I think I have sold at least 10 Anova's for them LOL
I'm loving my Anova unit as well. I think I'm going to need to pick up an additional unit though. Sometimes I need steaks cooked at different temps because not all of my guests enjoy medium-rare steak.

U.M.

331 LX

Established Member
I'm loving my Anova unit as well. I think I'm going to need to pick up an additional unit though. Sometimes I need steaks cooked at different temps because not all of my guests enjoy medium-rare steak.

U.M.

I feel ya. We got my dad one for Christmas 2 years ago and I always Sous Vide two full beef tenderloins for our Christmas dinner. It makes it nice to do one at 130, and one at 135-136 for the not so med rare folks eating.

I found a recipe for sous vide carrots that were amazing also. So much you can do with it! Also, Anova CS is amazing to boot! My clamp broke on a 3 year old unit and they shipped me one free of charge.

Zemedici

Established Member
Looks sick - told my brother to look them up, I cannot cook for shit (no taste makes it hard to comprehend the culinary side of things)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Love my anova, it works so well.

I've only had it like a week but I think we have used it for 5 different things so far.

Need to look into the searzall.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Aw mann.... go old school on the grilling after you run them through the Sous Vide- Bust out the coal chimney! View attachment 94840
I've done this exact thing before and it does work well and even adds that "grilled" flavor you don't get from Sous Vide alone. However I am a lazy SOB and searing steaks in the Alabama summer at 90+ degrees and 99% humidity is a miserable chore.

U.M.

If you are an Amazon Prime member and are looking to try Sous Vide the Anova units are on sale today for $129!

Wingrider

Established Member
Another thing to keep in mind is- once the food hits it's temp it can stay that way for quite a long time in the bath as long as you keep it at temp. Even an hour or more past "done" isn't an issue. That lets you do other stuff or other prep and you can rock when you're ready. I started a marinated chicken breast for my mother before I did hamburgers and dogs for others and that way the chicken hit the grill at the same time time as the dogs and they all "came off the grill" at the same time. No waiting on the bird.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
GF and I did burgers last night.

I ran them at 131, I was going to do it for 45 minutes but some plans changed so I kept them in there for another 30 minutes waiting for other food to cook (not like it hurt anything). I pulled them out and seared them in a hot cast iron pan. They were incredible.

I might do like 134 next time, because it was a little different to eat a burger that was that pink but still, that was possibly the best burger I've ever had.

331 LX

Established Member
GF and I did burgers last night.

I ran them at 131, I was going to do it for 45 minutes but some plans changed so I kept them in there for another 30 minutes waiting for other food to cook (not like it hurt anything). I pulled them out and seared them in a hot cast iron pan. They were incredible.

I might do like 134 next time, because it was a little different to eat a burger that was that pink but still, that was possibly the best burger I've ever had.

It is a bit different with burgers but I have found that it's perfect to do stuffed burgers or just adding blue cheese etc to them because it doesn't torch the cheese. I do 134 with burgers myself.

When I find a new hosting site I will post up pics of the beef tenderloin I did last Christmas. It's always perfect. I vac seal it with a little bit of melted butter and fresh garlic, and just cut it in half then a quick sear on the cast iron.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It is a bit different with burgers but I have found that it's perfect to do stuffed burgers or just adding blue cheese etc to them because it doesn't torch the cheese. I do 134 with burgers myself.

When I find a new hosting site I will post up pics of the beef tenderloin I did last Christmas. It's always perfect. I vac seal it with a little bit of melted butter and fresh garlic, and just cut it in half then a quick sear on the cast iron.
Do you watch the sous vide everything youtube channel? They did a test with putting butter in the bag and without and were unanimous about not putting butter in there.

The butter somehow dilutes the flavor of the meat while cooking. It works great to sear it with though.

M91196

Established Member
Damn I can't shake thinking about the pre microwave days of lousy boil in bag food. But all this good stuff going on, I have the damn thing in my Amazon basket......

331 LX

Established Member

Do you watch the sous vide everything youtube channel? They did a test with putting butter in the bag and without and were unanimous about not putting butter in there.

The butter somehow dilutes the flavor of the meat while cooking. It works great to sear it with though.

I watch it every once in a while and yes, I would have to agree with them. I stopped doing it after I saw that. I can actually tell a difference between the salmon. I Vac seal and freeze my salmon, I used to put a bit of EVO in it before sealing it but I have stopped. Just throw it in there frozen and let'er eat. :D

We are actually having Sous Vide Salmon tonight. It's still my favorite thing to be sous vide and I love me some beef.

Edit- Yea, plenty of butter to sear..

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I watch it every once in a while and yes, I would have to agree with them. I stopped doing it after I saw that. I can actually tell a difference between the salmon. I Vac seal and freeze my salmon, I used to put a bit of EVO in it before sealing it but I have stopped. Just throw it in there frozen and let'er eat. :D

We are actually having Sous Vide Salmon tonight. It's still my favorite thing to be sous vide and I love me some beef.

Edit- Yea, plenty of butter to sear..
Lol we are doing steaks tonight. I have a few friends coming over, my GF texted me and said she went to the butcher and got some NY strips.

I've been thinking about it all day.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
You mean like this? :)

U.M.

Tenderloin.jpg

Cobra-O

Established Member
Amazon has them listed now for $99! Add it to your cart and the discount shows up at checkout for Prime members.

Users who are viewing this thread