For The Buick GNX Fans!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice Bob! Iconic car that will never go down in value. I know personally of (2) ppl that have GNX's under a 1000 miles..... Imagine what they will be worth in 5-10 years!
You think itll get to 7 figures in 5-10 years knowing the rarity? or stay in the 6 figure range?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Absolutely love The GNX, Gn and Type.. Why hasn’t Buick come back out with something akin to them?
They did (sort of) back in 2018 with the Buick Regal GS, powered by a 3.6 liter V6 making 310 hp.

Jump to 9:32 for the confession it wasn't anything like the renowned GNX.

Jump to 12:50 for the drag-race with the Kia Stinger GT.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
And yet all the Kool Aid drinking Demon owners think their mass produced Challengers are going to be worth over a million dollars. I always point to the GNX and say guess what they only produced a fraction of these and they are no where near a million.

Again I would rather have a 20 to 35,000 mile example as all the rubber components on this one is also suspect on being deteriorated to powder due to lack of use and age.
Sold my Demon after 3.5 years of ownership and pure abuse/racing for PROFIT.
Will it be worth a million in the future? Doubt it, however I don't see them ever dropping in value.
The GNX is truly a special car, and I agree with you on wanting a used, driven car vs. a wrapper car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I did know a local guy who had a GNX back in 2004. It was a terror on the street. IMO the GNX will continue to go up in value and will always retain its bad-boy reputation.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I was fresh outta college with zero credit and Dad cosigned the loan. The car was 18k or so if I recall and I put down $1500. Loved that car. It got stolen in '94 at a shopping mall in suburban Philadelphia. RIP.
My fathah bought me a stolen camaro in faded red with a 6 cylinder. They paid him to take it.:cry::cry:

jshen

Established Member
When those cars came out- I remember them as being right expensive in the time. I remember them being fast and < correct me if I am wrong- had advertised 250 hp or so...I thought then that Buick underated the heck out of those cars..Does anyone know what they actually dynoed at?

cobracide

Established Member
When those cars came out- I remember them as being right expensive in the time. I remember them being fast and < correct me if I am wrong- had advertised 250 hp or so...I thought then that Buick underated the heck out of those cars..Does anyone know what they actually dynoed at?
Found a stock one: 242WHP@4300rpm and 375Ftlbs@2000rpm

VegasMichael

Established Member
I never dynoed mine but from everything I read in re hp the numbers from Buick were pretty accurate. The '87's had a tad more hp than the '86s' but both were rated anywhere from 235-245 hp. Those cars were easy to launch too. Powerbrake it and take off. They hooked pretty well.

jshen

Established Member
If my memory is correct Pontiac used that motor for their Firebird anniversary car- 1 year only but I remember it did 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and topped out at 161 mph....but Pontiac wanted 32k!

VegasMichael

Established Member
If my memory is correct Pontiac used that motor for their Firebird anniversary car- 1 year only but I remember it did 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and topped out at 161 mph....but Pontiac wanted 32k!
The stock governing chip in the GN shut off fuel supply at 124mph.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Back then, there was no other new, factory muscle car that could match it on the street.

Kel

Established Member
I never dynoed mine but from everything I read in re hp the numbers from Buick were pretty accurate. The '87's had a tad more hp than the '86s' but both were rated anywhere from 235-245 hp. Those cars were easy to launch too. Powerbrake it and take off. They hooked pretty well.
86 and 87 had the same HP rating, 245. C/D got them to run 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, but it ran out of steam at 13.9 @ 98 mph in the quarter (I'm looking at the April 86 article now :) ). Few GNX's running around this area and much like the earlier Shelby's it's the old coulda/woulda/shoulda about picking up one that was selling in the $20-$30k range in the 90's/00's.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Talk about car values..... Betting my Trackhawk will be worth $150-200k in 5-10 years. They are selling in Canada new for $140k so thats about $125k US. A collector car going up in value 50-100k is common place for just about any collector car.

I mean look at the GNX for example. It was $30k new. Its easily worth 5-7x that now! Look at the SRT Viper truck. They are selling for about $75k right now and thats just a novelty.

The Trackhawk is a TRUE performer that can easily make a 1000 hp with bolt ons..... AND it has the 8HP95 transmission which supports 900 lbs of TQ stock with a motor good to 1100 hp! Thing is a BEAST! Btw, the Demon or Redeye does not get the 8HP95 trans. It gets the 8HP90.

Considering they aren't making the TH anymore combined by the fact that ppl go absolutely nutz over it I can surely see it being worth double its current price which was $101,000.

I can honestly say there has not been one day that I have taken the TH out where people didnt stop to give me the thumbs up or take a picture of it while parked!

$200k may seem silly and I kinda laughed at my buddy when he mentioned it but he said name one really popular collector car that hasn't doubled in value? He made a good point.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
86 and 87 had the same HP rating, 245. C/D got them to run 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, but it ran out of steam at 13.9 @ 98 mph in the quarter (I'm looking at the April 86 article now :) ). Few GNX's running around this area and much like the earlier Shelby's it's the old coulda/woulda/shoulda about picking up one that was selling in the $20-$30k range in the 90's/00's.

From the article:
"The next significant improvement was in 1986, when Ron Yuille and the Turbo Engine Group engineered an intercooler for the 3.8 Turbo SFI V-6," wrote Martyn L. Schorr in his book, Buick GNX. With a new two-piece aluminum intake manifold that increased airflow by 10 percent, the engine was rated at 235 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque for '86, then 245 horsepower and 355 lb-ft for '87.

Users who are viewing this thread