CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Rare 1987 Buick GNX muscle car auctioned for near-record $215,000 on BAT.​

1633004017273.jpeg

1633004636991.jpeg

I know we have quite a few Buick GNX fans here on SVTP, like Brett, so this should be of interest. A 1987 Buick GNX muscle car with only 1,200 miles was sold recently on Bring-A-Trailer for a near-record $215,000 amid hot and heavy last-minute bidding.

Buick built only 547 of these coupes which were powered by a 3.8-liter turbo V6 that made it the quickest American car of the day. Helped by the auto transmission, LOL, Car and Driver managed a 4.6 second 0-60 mph. That was second quickest 0-60 in the world, behind only the Porsche 911 Turbo's 4.5 second sprint. The sexy and sinister-looking GNX was available in any color.....as long as it was black.

The high bid for the GNX was $136,000 with less than 9 minutes remaining, but quickly got hot and heavy as the deadline approached. The only GNXs that have publicly sold for more were the last one built (that one sold for $220K in 2017), and one with only 8 miles on the odometer which sold for a whopping $275K at Barrett-Jackson earlier this year.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nice Bob! Iconic car that will never go down in value. I know personally of (2) ppl that have GNX's under a 1000 miles..... Imagine what they will be worth in 5-10 years!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, that is crazy! I remember walking by one of those for sale with 1800 miles on it in Daytona. I think they wanted something like 20k for it.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
And yet all the Kool Aid drinking Demon owners think their mass produced Challengers are going to be worth over a million dollars. I always point to the GNX and say guess what they only produced a fraction of these and they are no where near a million.

Again I would rather have a 20 to 35,000 mile example as all the rubber components on this one is also suspect on being deteriorated to powder due to lack of use and age.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
While I think it's important to preserve certain cars for their impact on the automotive world, I would never want to own a car such as this.

Cars are built to be driven. Driving that car would diminish it's value and lower the prestige. I would much rather have a decently used car that was in good shape. Something you could enjoy and actually drive without too much hassle.

And yet all the Kool Aid drinking Demon owners think their mass produced Challengers are going to be worth over a million dollars. I always point to the GNX and say guess what they only produced a fraction of these and they are no where near a million.
Your assessment is flawed. There were over 550,000 mustangs built in 1965 but a 65 GT350R sold for over $3.8M last year.

It will take time but the Demon will eventually be collectable as well.

cobracide

Established Member
I had a GN for 7 years that I bought new in '87. Never had a problem. What issues were you referring to?
I like these cars too, just seen some random articles that call the durability into question and stuff. All cars have their "quirks" but I don't have the time to google it right now.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I like these cars too, just seen some random articles that call the durability into question and stuff. All cars have their "quirks" but I don't have the time to google it right now.
I'll bet a lot of the problems came from guys just driving them hard and doing mods that made them drive even more irresponsibly(read: more fun).

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d settle for a Buick T Type to build as a clone.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Recon

Established Member
The only 6 banger muscle car. The GNX and GN were awesome in they heyday and are still respected today. Their value proves it.

Pick your poison.

q6543

Established Member
Wow I wasn't expecting to see 215k.
Seems like a spoof.
That's happening more and more lately.

I think it will be worth less in 10,20,50 years.

Cobra1776

Established Member
Absolutely love The GNX, Gn and Type.. Why hasn’t Buick come back out with something akin to them?

Users who are viewing this thread