FOR SALE: Northern VA; stock 1998 Mustang GT coupe, 5 spd. 161k miles; $3500

Kornilov

Established Member
SOLD!!!

I'm selling a 1998 Mustang GT 5 speed. I bought this car specifically to turn into a mild track car. I spent nearly 2 years looking for a stock 96-98 Mustang GT 5spd that I could use as a fun car and keep as a project to turn into a track car. When I found this car, I snatched it up. However, my wife wont get in the car so its useless as a fun car and family and other financial obligations preclude me from putting the money into making it a track car.

About this car:

***FIRST OFF, this car is A STOCK, UNMOLESTED SN95. SN95s are getting harder and harder to find in good running condition. I intend to sell this car to a person that is an SN95 enthusiast. I want someone that will enjoy this car and keep it running well - not someone that will throw the JC Whitney catalog at her and clap this thing out as a rolling display shelf of the Autozone clearance aisle.

***SECOND, as mentioned, this car runs perfectly. This engine is the SMOOTHEST RUNNING Ford modular motor I have ever driven or owned (and this is my 4th modular Mustang). Yes, the engine is an NPI 225 hp 285 lb/tq weezer, but it will wind out and take any and all abuse without flinching. 5 spd T45 transmission and clutch shift smooth and without issue.

***THIRD, the car has 161K miles on the clock. I had a carfax on this car when I bought it and the second owner bought car in 1999 and owned it until late 2011. So it has been owned by one person for most of its life. As you can see in millions of cabs and police cars this 4.6L SOHC engine can go many hundreds of thousands of miles with zero issues. This engine is one of those - its strong and pulls as well as it did when new. No leaks, sludge, oil burning issues (check out the flashlight in the oil fill spout photo). Will provide carfax in .pdf form to new owner.

***FOURTH, the car has been maintained very well since Ive had it. It runs Mobil 1 5w-30 oil and a Motorcraft oil filter. I've also replaced the fuel pump with a high end Walbro 255 lph pump and replaced all the parking brake cables (see photos). I've also put Pennzoil Synchromesh in the trans. and it shifts like a warm wooden spoon through butter.

MECHANICAL NEEDS: The rear end has a SLIGHT whine which means it will eventually need bearings. Since anyone who is going to buy this car is going to upgrade to 3.55's, 3.73's, or 4.11's, this is a problem that will be resolved once the rear end gearing is upgraded. Otherwise it drives just fine and reliably, albeit with a little noise. ALSO, the drives side door pins are in need of replacement. it doesnt affect the closing of the door, it just makes it squeek.

ADDITIONAL: This car still has a functioning MACH 460 HEAD UNIT! This car is GUARANTEED TO PASS any safety/emissions/tech inspection in this country. The worst part about this car is the condition of the paint - the previous owners have neglected the paint and it looks very dull and faded in many areas. However, the body is straight and accident free.

CONCLUDING REMARKS

Please read and consider all of the above. If this is the car for you, I will know it right away when we talk/communicate. Otherwise, if you dont have passion for SN95's / Mustangs, go ruin some other car with poor taste. I will ensure this car goes to an enthusiast.

Also, if you dont believe me about the drivetrain on this car, I invite you come drive it, thrash it, and see for yourself.

SEE UPDATED POST(S) DOWNTHREAD FOR CURRENT INFO

Last edited:

Kornilov

Established Member
Took part of the day to shore up some bits to ensure car is 100% inspection ready for the new buyer:

New ball joints (Moog) new rotors (Wearever) and fresh synthetic gear oil in the diff (Valvoline 75w-140)

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Heavyfoot

Established Member
I can't get any of the pictures in the first post to load. Is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kornilov

Established Member
Actually yes. PM me or text/call at 818 687 8336. I decided to keep it earlier, but now we are moving and I need to explore selling it again.

Thanks,
Eric

Kornilov

Established Member
Here is a list of major maintenance items I have completed:

-Walbro high output fuel pump
-New Motorcraft fuel filter
-New brake rotors front and back
-Drained, flushed, and cleaned the cooling system - refilled with Motorcraft coolant
-New serpentine belt
-New parking brake cables all around
-Drained and filled transmission with Pennzoil Syncromesh Synthetic trans. fluid
-Replaced differential fluid with Valvoline synthetic gear fluid 75w-140
-Moog ball joints
-Replaced Timing Chain Tensioners and Timing Chain Guides on both sides

Last edited:

Kornilov

Established Member

Kornilov

Established Member
SOLD, SOLD, SOLD!!!

The right guy showed up this morning, fell in love with her, and she is going to a good home.

Users who are viewing this thread