For being 100% Irish I really do have some bad luck.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
So I try and relax, I follow my sister home and make sure she’s okay. Car seems to be okay, no strange noises and such. I call progressive and speak with someone on the best avenue to take care of this. Funny part he has progressive too. Anyways, she tells me there Is 3 ways to handle this. 1. I can make a claim straight to his carrier and have them do it. 2. Make a claim on mine, they’ll seek reimbursement for the claim, etc. 3. I can handle it without insurance adjusters. I said he wants to do insurance hence my call. She proceeds to tell me since florida is a no fault state, even though I’m not at fault my rates could go up solely on the fact that If his insurance isn’t good enough, and doesn’t cover all of it. They will have to pay for the rest, and my rates will go up. At this point I’m over it, I hang up and try and think it over. Looking for some insight on how to proceed with this one, roll the dice and make the claim get the car fixed and if insurance goes up it goes up? Or do I seek legal advice and go for the guys insurance caps? Anyways, sorry for the long rant. Stay safe out there gentleman. Thanks In advance.
1.)Your sister is feeling a bit sore, isn't she?

2.)When you called Progressive, you should have asked for Dr. Rick.

3.) Don't look for trouble by assuming his insurance won't cover your damages. Get a legit estimate and go from there.

4.) A false number? I'd stick it to him.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Did you take pics of his ID, and see if the Vin matched the insurance card as well?

I was in a similar situation, was rear ended. My insurance went after him to pay the deductible since only his wife was insured for that vehicle. I got his number as well but never dealt with him at all, everything was done thru my insurance. My rates didnt go up, not even a penny.

Obviously different state laws, but this is Cali we're talking about, couldnt be any worse anywhere else.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You are doing the right thing by documenting it and determining the extent of the damage yourself. New bumper and foam absorber at a minimum. If the bumpers were more readily available this guy could probably get away with less than $500 in damage as far as parts anyway. As is, he was a dick and I would do whatever it takes to get him or his insurance to pay the full amount of damage and might as well take it to the priciest place around. Someone else said it as well but that damage, even on a 19 year old Cobra, is nowhere near the minimum required liability coverage and since you both have Progressive there will be no fighting amongst insurance companies.

Side note, it appears it was not her fault at all but why are you letting your adult sister drive your Cobra as a DD?

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Side note, it appears it was not her fault at all but why are you letting your adult sister drive your Cobra as a DD?

was waiting for this..

He's Irish.

and this... even though i dont know why lol

unless Florida just sucks with insurance, which it may, i cant see his policy not having enough coverage for that damage.

from just a quick google:
In Florida, drivers need two kinds of insurance, $10,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 of property damage liability (PDL).

so your car and your sister can each get at least $10k out of the dbag.
that coverage is low. i hope everyone carries Uninsured Motorist out there with some decent coverage. im sure there's plenty of low lifes driving around with the absolute minimum coverage, if any at all.

then again, i went to a home (expensive one) where a guy ran into the house and only had $5k in property damage. claim came out to $60k! homeowner had to use their homeowners insurance to repair everything. here we have "special insurance" for the "undocumented population" which i believe allows them to carry really low limits for cheaper rates.

BlackStang00

Established Member
I had a similar situation with my 17 gt a few years back. Some asshat was mad at me because I passed him and he hit me. The worst part for me though was that he had just bought the car and didn’t have insurance. The insurance that was in the police report was the previous owners. So, I had to pay my deductible but got reimbursed when my insurance went after him. And the best part is the guy who he bought the car from knew the guy and didn’t want to cooperate so his insurance dropped all his cars lol. Oh and my rates didn’t go up even though they told me the same thing.

You’ll be fine. His insurance will cover everything, especially being he rear ended the car.

What part of Florida are you in? I live in Fort Myers and couldn’t agree more about Florida drivers. Everyone is in a race with everyone else and will do anything to get ahead. There was a shooting in Collier a week or so ago because some idiot rear ended someone else. He’s being held at my jail with a $1.5 million bond.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
What a dumbass law. I got rear ended 2 weeks ago. Only damage was a small hole in my bumper from where the plate screw hit. We both had geico. I called them and within 2 days they cut me a check for $1300. Case closed.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I would delete this thread and go through insurance and stick it to this guy as much as you can

I'll talk to a relative that's an attorney in that state that deals with auto accidents and insurance companies. Willing to bet they'll say the same thing I told you above, but I'll see what they have to say

SHOdown220

Established Member
I dropped progressive after 2 not at fault accidents of my wife’s both times they tried to talk her into filing under our insurance and paying a deductible and they would “try to seek reimbursement from the other drivers insurance” and possibly get us our deductible back and not raise rates. Said it would be faster and easier, I said f that file through their insurance and had no issues doing it that way.

I thought the point of me paying them every month was for them to be on my side and work with other insurance companies to handle a claim for me, not for me to do all the legwork with the other drivers insurance.

LS WUT

Established Member
Did you take pics of his ID, and see if the Vin matched the insurance card as well?

I was in a similar situation, was rear ended. My insurance went after him to pay the deductible since only his wife was insured for that vehicle. I got his number as well but never dealt with him at all, everything was done thru my insurance. My rates didnt go up, not even a penny.

Obviously different state laws, but this is Cali we're talking about, couldnt be any worse anywhere else.
Yes sir, I’ve gotten all the photos taken because of such. Progressive has been a headache thus far to be honest.

LS WUT

Established Member
You are doing the right thing by documenting it and determining the extent of the damage yourself. New bumper and foam absorber at a minimum. If the bumpers were more readily available this guy could probably get away with less than $500 in damage as far as parts anyway. As is, he was a dick and I would do whatever it takes to get him or his insurance to pay the full amount of damage and might as well take it to the priciest place around. Someone else said it as well but that damage, even on a 19 year old Cobra, is nowhere near the minimum required liability coverage and since you both have Progressive there will be no fighting amongst insurance companies.

Yes, he was a complete dick to be completely honest. I’ll handle that road when I get there. We shall see the extent of the damage as time goes on. I took some photos of the damage, however I’m not taking off the bumper and crawling under it to look any further. That’s their job. To answer your question, why did I let my sister drive my car. I’ve got several cars, she was out of a car. I’m also buying her a new car. So until the new one came in I figured I’d allow her to use the cobra I bought the enjoy, I’ve got a low mileage coupe sitting safely in my garage. I can’t drive all my cars. Helping family will ultimately be my downfall.

LS WUT

Established Member
was waiting for this..

and this... even though i dont know why lol

unless Florida just sucks with insurance, which it may, i cant see his policy not having enough coverage for that damage.

from just a quick google:
In Florida, drivers need two kinds of insurance, $10,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 of property damage liability (PDL).

so your car and your sister can each get at least $10k out of the dbag.
that coverage is low. i hope everyone carries Uninsured Motorist out there with some decent coverage. im sure there's plenty of low lifes driving around with the absolute minimum coverage, if any at all.

then again, i went to a home (expensive one) where a guy ran into the house and only had $5k in property damage. claim came out to $60k! homeowner had to use their homeowners insurance to repair everything. here we have "special insurance" for the "undocumented population" which i believe allows them to carry really low limits for cheaper rates.
Sometimes we make mistakes. Unfortunately regardless florida has become a sesspool of people coming down from their lovely states. Since 2020 I think it was said 550k people moved to florida. Makes things fun for sure.

LS WUT

Established Member
I had a similar situation with my 17 gt a few years back. Some asshat was mad at me because I passed him and he hit me. The worst part for me though was that he had just bought the car and didn’t have insurance. The insurance that was in the police report was the previous owners. So, I had to pay my deductible but got reimbursed when my insurance went after him. And the best part is the guy who he bought the car from knew the guy and didn’t want to cooperate so his insurance dropped all his cars lol. Oh and my rates didn’t go up even though they told me the same thing.

You’ll be fine. His insurance will cover everything, especially being he rear ended the car.

What part of Florida are you in? I live in Fort Myers and couldn’t agree more about Florida drivers. Everyone is in a race with everyone else and will do anything to get ahead. There was a shooting in Collier a week or so ago because some idiot rear ended someone else. He’s being held at my jail with a $1.5 million bond.
Gotta love florida man. Also I live in Sarasota. Slowly building my case to move.

BlackStang00

Established Member
Gotta love florida man. Also I live in Sarasota. Slowly building my case to move.
It’s sad because Florida is a great state to live in it’s just all the other asshats. I grew up in Naples and moved to Fort Myers when I got hired with the county but Naples was a great place to grow up. Now it’s only great if you’re a millionaire lol.

What part of Sarasota do you live in? I have family near Nokomis by the mall. And my uncle used to live in Deer Hollow.

LS WUT

Established Member
It’s sad because Florida is a great state to live in it’s just all the other asshats. I grew up in Naples and moved to Fort Myers when I got hired with the county but Naples was a great place to grow up. Now it’s only great if you’re a millionaire lol.

What part of Sarasota do you live in? I have family near Nokomis by the mall. And my uncle used to live in Deer Hollow.
Born and raised in Sarasota for me. Haven’t moved, or left. I live right off of university in Desoto Lakes right where UTC mall is.

shurur

Established Member
I live in Lutz FL..another damn Yankee from NH.

Guy who rear-ended you should pay and be grateful you don't have back pain and a civil lawyer by now. No fault my eye..this is FL

ASIDE: I got hit in a parking lot at a school I had been substituting at.
I sub all over HCPS FL, HS mainly.

Student drove in to a parking spot, then hit me in my Audi as I drove by her because she was using that spot to back into another. Apparently she "does it every day" and I was supposed to know that. "Do you know who I am!!??" Syndrome.

Parent was there, apologizing...until she heard "no fault."...suddenly I had humiliated her poor daughter.
Mommy and Daddy had bought her her SUV, with a trailer hitch...just saying.

I didn't report it because Audi is a 2002 with 250k miles. Insurance would have totaled her. I keep her maintenance up and she drives like new.
Our insurance is Progressive and they did that to us on the Wife's 330xi. I don't know why I haven't changed insurance by now...tired and lazy, I guess.

Craigslist found me a body worker. I got it done the next day...glazed and painted it myself...meh..

People suck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread