For anyone running a supercharger?? IAT is through the roof on my set up with ysi?

peterlocal22

Established Member
Im running a 98 cobra motor with 10.5:1 timing with a vortect ysi supercharger.
The car has sct performance package set up.
IAT goes very high and I was wondering what everyone elses is at different ranges?
Are you running an intercooler?

thanks in advance,
Peter

LDC2335

Established Member
Well my understanding is that it is still compressed and heated air even when not under boost, its just escaping through the bypass . I logged mine and was like 60 or so over outside Temps while cruising with no boost, and over 200 under boost. Pretty common with no intercooler.

However, I immediately went home and found an intercooler. Piecing the parts together to get it done sooner than later. I had no idea they would be that high while cruising.

peterlocal22

Established Member
Ill check mine while cruising and report back. However when at the dyno it was around 300 degrees when at 21 lbs of boost at almost 7,000 rpms

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
10:5 and a non intercooler YSI? I hope you're running some good fuel..

Get a good A/W or A/A intercooler and it'll help you out tremendously

MOTOWN M

Established Member
If your running a YSI with 10.5:1 comp ratio , and no intercooler (you didnt say what boost) even with good fuel your going to blow up your motor!

You cannot run a YSI with no intercooler , and not expect to detonate! i run a YSI with a Procharger six core intercooler and my IATs never go above 115 on the hottest of days!

peterlocal22

Established Member
Im running 110 octane leaded fuel. Yes im looking into an intercoller. Which would you guys recommend, im leaning towards air to air since i drive both on the street and drag track. Also looking into meth injection.
ALso was wondering if theres a different supercharger that vortec makes that i could switch the ysi out with and keep all the plumbing as is and would lower the heat by enough to run no intercooler?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There is no way to get around needing an intercooler at 21psi. The air is compressed and that makes it hot. You need to cool it down.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
Im running 110 octane leaded fuel. Yes im looking into an intercoller. Which would you guys recommend, im leaning towards air to air since i drive both on the street and drag track. Also looking into meth injection.
ALso was wondering if theres a different supercharger that vortec makes that i could switch the ysi out with and keep all the plumbing as is and would lower the heat by enough to run no intercooler?

As stated above , there is no way around an intercooler , i recommend a Procharger , or a Treadstone intercooler , unless your going to run a V1 , any S/C you get will need an intercooler to run to its potential, i have an Alky control meth kit that runs straight M1 meth (no boost juice here) , also i would not run leaded fuel at anytime unless you enjoy changing O2 sensors , get some VP 109 octane unleaded oxgenated fuel.

svtshadow

Banned
Never understood the need to compress air, make it hot and then skip on cooling the compressed air whether its with a meth kit or A/W/A intercooler.

mystickb1996

Established Member
As Motown stated and also helped me with get a treadstone or procharger... I ordered a treadstone tr1245 4.5 thick ic yesterday driftbuild has them for a better price then treadstone direct. Also I'm running a t trim with meth and results with meth are amazing I wouldn't run without it.. Air to air with meth is beast mode

Users who are viewing this thread