flywheel clicking replacable?

hatched91

Established Member
so i've been told that the clicking sound coming from under the hood during acceleration, deceleration and idle is from the dual mass flywheel.

question: can i replace the factory flywheel with a regular single mass flywheel or does it require the dual mass for spacing issues? if so, what flywheel?

CT SVT

Established Member
yes, can replace it with regular flywheel. also remember to change your clutch and release bearing

Last edited:

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
If you're asking if you can change just the flywheel by itself, then no. The stock clutch is unsprung (since the flywheel has springs in it), and will need to be replaced with the flywheel.

But a clicking sound from under the hood could be a number of things. Typically, clicking sounds come from the injectors or the valvetrain, not the stock clutch.

hatched91

Established Member
DUH! i feel stupid now.:mj: the dual mass flywheel is made to absorb the impact thus the clutch disc does not have springs in it...unlike a regular flywheel/clutch combo.

next question:

is the spacing for the throwout bearing the same? and which clutch/flywheel combo should i use? a regular focus 5spd one?

Last edited:

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
No, they're two different transmissions. The SVT uses a 6-speed Getrag trans; the regular Focus uses an MTX-75 or something. Spec makes a kit with a billet steel flywheel which will cut down on noise. I've heard good things about Southbend too. Some people are holding out for Exedy to make an SVTf kit, which has been floating around the rumor mill for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread