Fluid swap / Firewall Adj, Clutch Quadrant

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Well about a week and a half ago I ordered the new Micro-Click Firewall Adjuster and Clutch Quadrant from FIORE Performance. http://www.modulardepot.com/product...3342b08575c7178
I checked the shipping status and the ups' website said it will be here today. So I went ahead and replaced my old tranny fluid with GM Synchromesh. I will do the Firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant today after the UPS guy gets here.

With just the fluid change I took her out for a little spirited run down a deserted back road that is straight as an arrow. Wow, what an improvement for just 4 bottles of synchromesh and a half of a bottle of Fords friction modifier. Tranny shifts alot smoother. The shifter I use is the MGW. I use the short blue handle too. Smooth and shifts are alot faster. Before it felt like I had to crush the gears, but now it is alot easier.

For anyone curious on how to change the fluid, it is easy.
1. Support the car on 4 jackstands. You want the car as level as possible for this.
2. Remove the plug (3/8" drive ratchet is all you need) from the passengers side, bottom of the trany.
3. Allow to drain. While draining, remove the shifter from on top of the tranny.
4. Once drained, install plug back into bottom of tranny.
5. Remove plug from the drivers side, half way up the tranny. Same type plug as drain plug.
6. Add 2oz of Ford friction modifier to the top of the tranny where the shifter used to be. Next add the Synchromesh until it starts to dribble out the "FILL" plug on the side of the tranny that was just removed.
7. Reinstall "FILL" plug, followed by the shifter.
8. Clean up, and thats it.

I will update the thread after the Firewall adjuster/quadrant are installed.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
do you really have to jack the car up so it's not touching the ground? rhino ramps won't work?

cobrajim

Established Member
which synchromesh?????

are there 2 different synchromesh fluids??? one with friction modifier and one without??? went to the local gm dealer. all he had was regular synchrmesh. he could order the one with the friction modifier as they do not stock it. he also said i had to order a case of 12 @ $11 a quart. before i do this i want to make sure i get the right stuff. can some one tell me the right fluid to use. do you have the part nos. for the tranny fluid??? thanks, jim.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I just stopped at the GM dealer for mine. I got the one without the friction modifier. I added 2 oz (half a bottle) of the ford friction modifier to it. I can try to get you a part number after work.

I supported the car on jackstands to be sure the tranny was level. I wanted to remove as much fluid as possibe.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
do you really have to jack the car up so it's not touching the ground? rhino ramps won't work?
The car has to be level when you add the new fluid or you may not add the correct amount. It should also be level when you drain the old fluid or you may not get it all out.

Jpjr

Established Member
SnakeBit said:
The car has to be level when you add the new fluid or you may not add the correct amount. It should also be level when you drain the old fluid or you may not get it all out.

you change tranny fluid like you change oil. jack the car up, drain it. re-install plug. lower car back to the ground (i.e. level), fill until the overflow plug spurts. raise car back up, tighten overflow plug. reinstall shifter.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
If you use RP Synchromax you don't have to mess with the friction modifier.

Jackers: You never finished the How-To for the FIORE firewall adjuster. I am just about to start this and I would really like your input.
Thanks

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
You don't have to remove the shifter, but if you plan on changing the shifter, that is the perfect time to add the fluid. I don't recommend pulling the shifter everytime you want to change your transmission fluid.

The proper way to re-fill is through the drain hole, using a pump. That is how Ford does it, and that's how my friend and I did it, and that's how our super-duper mechanic does it when he drains/refills.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchromax is the best stuff. They are 100% compatible with our ring material inside the transmission, allowing gears to slip in and out with little effort, makes shifting a breeze, I love it.

badboy said:
If you use RP Synchromax you don't have to mess with the friction modifier.

Jackers: You never finished the How-To for the FIORE firewall adjuster. I am just about to start this and I would really like your input.
Thanks

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
It's just one of those plastic pumps with the rubber hose from any auto parts store, it's a syphoning pump, can be used to syphon gasoline or other fluid

Wings65288 said:
ChicagoMike what kind of pump can i use to refill it?

Jpjr

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
It's just one of those plastic pumps with the rubber hose from any auto parts store, it's a syphoning pump, can be used to syphon gasoline or other fluid

This is the 'proper' way to do it, but certainly removing the shifter is just as effective. Your probably right in that removing the shifter is a pain, but then again its great to point out that if anyone is changing shifters they can easily change the fluid too.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I would rather pull the shifter than try to use one of those pumps. I end up with more on the ground and down my arms than in the tranny. To each their own. Point of it is, you dont like synchromesh, dont use it. You dont like filling up through the shifter, use a pump. I put this on here to help others out. I didnt just decide one day to try different fluids and such in my car, I researched it first. I didnt just pull a shifter and see fluid in there and say I can fill a tranny that way. I researched it. My way works, my fluids works, my clutch quadrant works.

Not to get upset, I just hate when people come into a thread just to argue and try to discredit people.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
thats why i've done what jackers has done, i'm not sure what tranny fluid your using but i'm going to be install Pennzoil Synchromesh Tranny Fluid with 2 oz. of Ford Friction Modifier along with Fiore Clutch Quadrant/Firewall Adjuster Kit.

ercizm

Established Member
I've got the fiore. didn't install yet being as I just got my car back from being stolen. I'll probably wait till I buy a place with a garage but please post the install. Joe Fiore recommeded a mechanic should install it.I'm just an electrician. :)

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Why do you need to add friction modifier to the tranny? I just changed my fluid the other week, and the manual just called for Dexron III atf. I used some Redline D4 that was laying around at my work because it said it is compatible with all cars that call for Dexron III and IV. I understand why you would put friction moddifier in the diff, but why the tranny?

Juruense

Banned
Great "how to" except you suggest the wrong fluid and you suggest adding friction modifier which is also wrong...

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
royalpurple max atf, better shear strength and heat capabilities than synchromesh
no friction modifier
friction modifier is for rear end only, reading owners manual occasionally helps
save friction modifier for girlfriend, use as necessary

Users who are viewing this thread