Flowmaster 40 series vs Super 44.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Need some help here again . I guess you can not get a 40 series muffler for my 03 Cobra because they don't make the 40 series in an offset but inline muffler but the super 44 you can . My question is , how big a sound difference between the two are there. I love the original 40 series since I was a kid in high school w/ my 5.0 , so I'd like to go that way on this car but as stated above they don't make them for the 03 Cobra in a 40 series , just the super 44 . Those who tried these super 44 on our Cobras do they still sound like a Flowmaster exhaust ? Thank you much

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Hardly any difference IMO. Had Flows on several pickups but not on my Cobra. But to be honest, Flowmasters don't have the proper sound for a Terminator. On old 5.0s, they sound great, like old school muscle should. But Cobras have that unique 4v "burble" that Flowmasters just don't produce very well. Try Bassani, Borla, or Magnaflow, anything that is a "straight through" design.

Just my 2 cents.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Hardly any difference IMO. Had Flows on several pickups but not on my Cobra. But to be honest, Flowmasters don't have the proper sound for a Terminator. On old 5.0s, they sound great, like old school muscle should. But Cobras have that unique 4v "burble" that Flowmasters just don't produce very well. Try Bassani, Borla, or Magnaflow, anything that is a "straight through" design.

Just my 2 cents.

I've heard that before . They sound completely different when on the 4v . Thank you sir

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
only difference between a super 40 and 44 is a shallower case on the 44 for better ground clearance. worse case it wouldn't be as deep of a sound but that would even be hard to tell. I have super 40s on my gt, will change to 44s when needed

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Lol, I totally disagree with the guy that said Flows "don't have proper sound on a Terminator"! Flows have a signature classic muscle car sound, no matter what V8 vehicle they are on! I love the sound of a "chambered" muffler, Flowmaster being my favorite.

As far as diff between the 40s and 44s, the sound is very similar between both, deep aggressive tone and old school badass sound! But the big diff is the 44s are only 4" thick where the 40s are 5". I've ran both on my Cobra and love them both but once I lowered my car I switched to the 44s to help with ground clearance.

Last edited:

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
I had 40's on mine when I got it with a catted bassani x and it sounded really good. I lowered it and did headers a few years back and switched to the 44's for ground clearance and didn't like them at all. Sound was more balanced with the 40's vs the 44's were borderline obnoxious. Had a set of magnaflows welded in and it sounds nice and deep and smooth now.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
you can get 40 series flowmasters for these cars in the american thunder cat back. had it on my car. but i switched to borla ataks. loved the chambered mufflers on my 5.0l's. but the strait thru on the 4.6 is way to go. the atak is stupid loud. but i love it. tame it down to stingers which sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread