Florida LEO's - Please Enter

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Hello LEO's,

Wife and I are going on vacation to Florida in October and I had a few questions about certain laws.

Are there laws against having pocket knives and such or mace/pepper spray in the car? If so, what is the legal limit on size of the knife and container size of the pepper spray?

We want to bring things with us just in case as we are driving through several states and do not want to get in to trouble if we are pulled over.

Last thing I need is to get a ticket or go to jail in another state and break the law.

Thanks for the help.

-Chris

jshen

Established Member
I did a quick check of Fla statutes...You appear to be OK if items are in your car/ or you have permit...but if you carry items on you, pepper spray for self defense is OK but the knife thing is iffy....again car OK..possession and carrying knife..may be issue. When you read statute..it is subject to interpretation:

Fla Stat 790.001
(3)(a) “Concealed weapon” means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.
(13) “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife
790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) This section does not apply to:
(a) A person who carries a concealed weapon, or a person who may lawfully possess a firearm and who carries a concealed firearm, on or about his or her person while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252 or declared by a local authority pursuant to chapter 870. As used in this subsection, the term “in the act of evacuating” means the immediate and urgent movement of a person away from the evacuation zone within 48 hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered. The 48 hours may be extended by an order issued by the Governor.
(b) A person who carries for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:
1. A self-defense chemical spray.

2. A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(4) This section does not preclude any prosecution for the use of an electric weapon or device, a dart-firing stun gun, or a self-defense chemical spray during the commission of any criminal offense under s. 790.07, s. 790.10, s. 790.23, or s. 790.235, or for any other criminal offense.
790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed

Hope this answers your question, Jeff

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
^^^ Thanks for the help.

I did some searching and found that FL laws are pretty laid back. Apparently, you can conceal any knife under 4". Anything over 4" cannot be concealed but is legal for open carry or you can keep it in your car I believe.

I have 2 3-3/4" folding, but, wanted to buy a 4-7/8" fixed-blade that I could keep and wear during my stay there. It would also be a utility knife for the most part while at work and such.

I just don't want to get fined, charged with concealing a deadly weapon or something during my vacation. But, I also want to make sure I'm able to safely protect my wife and I as well and not roll with a small 1" swiss army knife. Haha.

If it was legal to bring my gun which I have a permit for in IL I'd transport it and keep it in the car. But, I am positive that is a big no/no and is illegal to do so. Knife and Pepper Spray just in case.

jshen

Established Member
Florida has a reciprocity law allowing your permit, if you qualify, to be good there. The problem is you will have to check the laws in every state you travel. For me, I carry my Glock 28 in a carry bag when I drive.

YJSONLY

Established Member
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Not a cop nor lawyer. But I do have a fl cwp. See if Illinois and Florida rhino reach other. If so check all states you drive through. And carry as needed (ie if need to be put in trunk during that state.)

Users who are viewing this thread