Flip Key Upgrade?

mysteed

Established Member
I'm seeing more than a few of the new 11+ guys moving from the traditional OEM key + remote setup to one similar to that on the Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen's with the key included into the body of the remote & flipping open when needing to be used. I realize that I'd probably need 2 keys to do it, but I don't want to blow the money and it not work, ya know?

Here is the key in question:
New Ford Lincoln Mercury Flip Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote 4 Button | eBay

For a while I've considered doing this but am not 100% sure it's compatible with our Cobra's. Any thoughts?

SVT Rob

Established Member
Their listing shows it works for the 05-up Mustangs. I'm not sure what changes were made to the passive anti-theft system in 05, compared to the 96-04 vehicles. Theoretically, it should work without a problem.

I'd like to run one of those. I currently have my key off the ring, my house key and mailbox key on the key fob and toss them in the cup-holder or center console. It's constantly hitting my knee when I'm driving, annoys the hell out of me.

Last edited:

KCRN12

Established Member
u4epytu7.jpg

"Please make sure that your current key and remote look like those pictured to insure that this will work for you. If your OEM key is a different shape than the one in our picture. This WILL NOT start your car. Also, if you ignition has a plastic collar around it, this key will NOT fit."..... That's why not.

cobra-boss

Established Member
96-04 mustang uses H72Pt transponder key and a 05+ mustang uses 599114 key....2 different chips and will not inner-change. Also 05+ ignitions do not have "ears"

Jim

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Turn your PATS transponder off thats in your column and you can use whatever key you want. You can turn it off in a tune, I did. My alarm still works but if I want to get a spare key, I can go to walmart to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread