Flex Fuel Sensor

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
OEMS put it on the feed pressure side. However what are your power goals, fueling goals/needs...seems like you got a return style setup to feed a fairly high powered setup, so I’d be wary of a possible flow restriction on the feed side. Are you going to run straight E85 or try flex fuel? If never switching from E85 I’d probably just do return side. However if you are doing a flex setup to run gasoline/ethanol I’d want it on the feed side.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
This is on a Ford

Power???

Um, over 600hp but less than 800hp. I suspect 650ish.

I plan on mainly E85 but tuning with 93 and maybe race gas also.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

milktasd2

Established Member
This is what I used
Flex fuel sensor 13577379
Flex fuel pigtail 13352241
What they recommended for the Holley hp. I put mine on the return side.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
This is what I used
Flex fuel sensor 13577379
Flex fuel pigtail 13352241
What they recommended for the Holley hp. I put mine on the return side.

I have the right sensor and pigtail.

The question is actually installing it inline.

Sent from the Coronas Response Team.

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
Here is what I did and I installed mine in the return line so I didn’t have a restriction. I’m running a -10AN feed and -8AN return Edit- My sensor is also just for my own reference and doesn’t seem to be as accurate as when I test the fuel via test tube.

Attachments

• 09AFF2D6-D336-4084-B2F1-D2858AE8ACE7.jpeg
    09AFF2D6-D336-4084-B2F1-D2858AE8ACE7.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

JCDriller

Established Member
I have a deadhead setup on mine, my sensor is on the return line. I didn't do anything fancy like you posted, I figured a little restriction on the return shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm not using a CPU that adjusts for fuel, it's just for my own knowledge. If the computer was adjusting the tune, I'd want it on the feed side for sure.

However, my Innovative gauge reads 76-78% even when I have a perfect 85% blend starting with E98 and adding unleaded. It's so inaccurate it's pretty much useless. I wish they allowed you to adjust the 0-5v curve yourself so you could adjust what was 85%. I need to order a new sender and see if that helps, if it doesn't I'll probably just remove it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the MS3 PNP threads discussing this I believe most were putting it in the return side so as not be a restriction. I would think that once you pull out of the station and fuel sloshes around it would already be seeing the current mix but what do I know

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm Surprised at everyone putting it on the return side. Most guys in the import world have it on the flow side, which I also did. You wanted to know the % going into the engine to make the adjustment, not what's coming out.

Mind you, not all E85 is created equal. Actual % can change station to station and even at the same station depending on its refill cycle.

That is the beauty of the flex fuel, you no longer have to worry about running your tank dry to make a switch or being tied to a specific refill station. Just pump and go.

JCDriller

Established Member
I'm Surprised at everyone putting it on the return side. Most guys in the import world have it on the flow side, which I also did. You wanted to know the % going into the engine to make the adjustment, not what's coming out.

Mind you, not all E85 is created equal. Actual % can change station to station and even at the same station depending on its refill cycle.

That is the beauty of the flex fuel, you no longer have to worry about running your tank dry to make a switch or being tied to a specific refill station. Just pump and go.

I think those of us with it on the return side are just using the gauge, while those using true flex-fuel capabilities of Megasquirt or Holley would put it on the flow side or at least this is what I'm assuming.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct, I will be putting it on return side.
SVTHess, that looks great, how much in fittings?! :)
I was going with this just to monitor.
Or E85 station just tested 82 and during summer stays consistent 87-89.
Bummer on the Innovate reading low, but between old school testing and gauge, I guess I could calibrate myself.
Again, only looking to monitor pump E just in case I get a bad batch.
I only run straight VP X85 on track days, probably 50/50 spiked pump on Dyno tunes, X85 on glory pulls.
-J

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine is in the return line under the driverside floorboard, just inside the subframe connector.

I have a -10 feed and the sensor is 3/8" or -6.
My return is -8, but I'd rather have a small restriction on the return than on the feed.

I typically see a constant variance, but nothing more than 2%. Given that, I don't think having it in the feed, to know what's going into the engine, makes any difference.

GodStang

Established Member
I am running true flex fuel and have it on my feed because I want to know two things from it. Fuel Temperature going into the rails and % ethanol going into the rails so that my ECU gets the most accurate readings before making the changes. It is dual -6an in line on the -8an feed which makes for zero restriction.

IMG_5059.jpg

% E.JPG

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Is it just the innovate sensor that's way off? It seems like every time I see someone post one of these sensors showing a reading....it's always in the 77-79 range. Lol. Ok for casual info I suppose.....but there's no way I would want it communicating with the computer and making tune adjustments. I'd rather test pump side and carry along my handheld with multiple ethanol % tunes if your ethanol source is that erratic.

JCDriller

Established Member
Is it just the innovate sensor that's way off? It seems like every time I see someone post one of these sensors showing a reading....it's always in the 77-79 range. Lol. Ok for casual info I suppose.....but there's no way I would want it communicating with the computer and making tune adjustments. I'd rather test pump side and carry along my handheld with multiple ethanol % tunes if your ethanol source is that erratic.

I don’t know if it’s the sensor of the gauge. I have a new sensor ordered, I’m going to swap it out and see if that fixes it. If it doesn’t I’m pulling the gauge out.

Users who are viewing this thread