Flex fuel option?

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Cobb Tuning recently released a flex fuel kit for WRX's/STi's that allows you to put whatever fuel you choose (between 91 and E85) in your car and it will automatically adjust your tune for you easy peasy. All that required is the fuel pressure sensor kit, the ethanol sensor kit, and two tunes(one on the lowest octane you would run and the highest you would run).

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/flex-fuel/subaru-flex-fuel-package-wrx-2008-2014-sti-2008-2016

Is there any option for our cars to do this? I never plan on running anything other than E85, but it would be helpful to use if I were to go on a road trip. Imagine never having to plan your trip from E85 station to E85 station!

helloWorld

Established Member
I know for my coyote, the flex fuel tune works using inferred logic that takes the voltage reading from the upstream oxygen sensors and deduces an alcohol percentage from that voltage reading.

I assume the 03/04 cobras have upstream oxygen sensors. If that is true, the only reason why you wouldn't be able to have flex fuel tuning on the stock ECU is if that ECU does not physically have those flex fuel tables located in its memory.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I know for my coyote, the flex fuel tune works using inferred logic that takes the voltage reading from the upstream oxygen sensors and deduces an alcohol percentage from that voltage reading.

I assume the 03/04 cobras have upstream oxygen sensors. If that is true, the only reason why you wouldn't be able to have flex fuel tuning on the stock ECU is if that ECU does not physically have those flex fuel tables located in its memory.

terminators use narrow band O2 sensors, your 13 uses widebands from the factory and thats a big part of the equation. I dont know if there are any alternatives other than full on standalone systems like pro efi

helloWorld

Established Member
terminators use narrow band O2 sensors, your 13 uses widebands from the factory and thats a big part of the equation. I dont know if there are any alternatives other than full on standalone systems like pro efi

I didn't know that. I guess if that's the case, you will need wide-bad oxygen sensors and most likely a standalone ECU.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member

I didn't know that. I guess if that's the case, you will need wide-bad oxygen sensors and most likely a standalone ECU.

I'm using an AeroForce wideband, so I'd have that part covered. So a standalone ecu would be the only other way? Any way a future Xcal could do this like the AccessPorts for the WRX/Sti?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned above the other issue being the computer, I don't think here's anyway to interface widebands or flex fuel sensors. I'd be surprised if SCT made anything that would handle it. I've never heard of the accessports thing

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
As mentioned above the other issue being the computer, I don't think here's anyway to interface widebands or flex fuel sensors. I'd be surprised if SCT made anything that would handle it. I've never heard of the accessports thing

The AccessPort is similar to a DiabloSport Predator and an SCT XCalibrator.

So it sounds like I'm SOL then, unless I switch to a standalone.

Jmurrz

Established Member
This is the only reason I have not done E85 yet. If someone could come up with a way that would make it so much easier.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
This is the only reason I have not done E85 yet. If someone could come up with a way that would make it so much easier.

It didn't stop me, but since I like to drive it to out-of-state shows and racing, it makes planning a little trickier. Plus, with our cars being older, it doesn't lead me to believe that SCT or Diablosport will ever come out with something for us.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Its not about SCT or Diablo coming out with something... its what the factory ECU will support. SCT and Diablo can only work with what Ford put in the computer from the factory. There's no way to have true flex fuel on a terminator unless you run a standalone aftermarket ECU.

Users who are viewing this thread