flaming river ultra clearance steering shaft

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
2005-2012 Mustang Ultra Clearance Shaft Kit - FR1515P-SHFT - 577 - 5951

Has any one installed one of these and gained clearance? I bought one last week and it looks like its gonna be a bitch to install was hoping someone could give some info on how much clearance is gained and where. I need clearance up near the column.

What are you trying to clear? My 2" ARH's with the motor dropped down a full inch still clears my stock shaft just fine.

Based on the pic, I'd guess you'd only gain 1/8" clearance with that shaft.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Also, wouldnt that possibly be a safety issue since the OEM Shaft is designed to crush under a hard frontal impact?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Also, wouldnt that possibly be a safety issue since the OEM Shaft is designed to crush under a hard frontal impact?

It doesn't replace the shaft that runs from the firewall to the steering wheel. That's the one you want to collapse. The one outside of the firewall is angled downward and if the collision is bad enough that it comes through the firewall and impales you, you were probably dead or dying anyway.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I put one similar to it in a 2003 Cobra recently and while it was certainly needed to clear the huge headers on that car, it still needed some messaging to fit and the header needed a dent as well. It did have a ton of adjust-ability which made it that much easier to install once I handled all of the rubbing issues. I don't know if it's the same for the 500 cause I didn't need one with my smaller Kooks headers, but if it's similar to the Cobra and you're running larger headers, you're probably gonna need to "work it" a little.

I wouldn't call it a "difficult" install, but it does take some flexibility and creativity. Two people is definitely a huge help too, so that someone can be inside holding that weight of that half, while you worm it around the headers.

Last edited:

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
11's & 12's have EPAS.. No need for shaft.

The 11+ cars all still have steering shafts the same as the previous years. Its only difference is the method in which the driver assist is applied. The shaft is needed for feedback to the steering rack.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
What are you trying to clear? My 2" ARH's with the motor dropped down a full inch still clears my stock shaft just fine.

Based on the pic, I'd guess you'd only gain 1/8" clearance with that shaft.

Stainless Works 1 7/8"
Long story, on how I received headers that are suppose to clear with a drop k-member that I raised back up and still have rubbing issues. Now I hear they have redesigned them to fit yet when I ordered mine I made it very clear that I don't want to purchase them unless they work with the BMR 1/2" drop K.

Users who are viewing this thread