FL Resident buying an out of state car FL DMV ?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I sold my car to an FL resident and the car is still in my garage waiting on shipping.
The person tried registering it and FL DMV told them they need a vin check performed by a cop and notarized. I'm in PA and the nearest cop shop is a half an hour away and I am booked 24/7 for the next few weeks with work and weddings and other BS.
Is there anyway around this?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
CA does the same thing... requires VIN verification if out of state.

Can you set him up with a temp tag just to get it down to FL?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I sold my car to an FL resident and the car is still in my garage waiting on shipping.
The person tried registering it and FL DMV told them they need a vin check performed by a cop and notarized. I'm in PA and the nearest cop shop is a half an hour away and I am booked 24/7 for the next few weeks with work and weddings and other BS.
Is there anyway around this?
Ship it to him and let him get the VIN verification done. I brought my car back from Oman and the LBGs screwed up my Vin on their paperwork. I had to work with the sheriff office and got it resolved. Have DMV double check if a FL or out of state cop does it.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
That's definitely on the buyer's end. But its typically just an simple VIN to title verification.

_Snake_

Established Member
As mentioned, there’s no way around it but it’s the buyer’s responsibility. I drove my new to me in FL truck to get it registered and had to walk out with the agent to verify the VIN.

jshen

Established Member
YUP as said above..buyer transports to FL and has local officer check VIN..It is a 5 minute process

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Ship it to him and let him get the VIN verification done.

^^^This.

If you absolutely cannot help this guy out then the buyer receives car and goes through the process to have it registered. If he's not comfortable he can refuse to buy the car. But, it's always the buyers responsibility to get their purchase registered and go through the process per their state laws.

I purchased my 03 Vert out of Phoenix. Drove up there and picked it up. Completed paperwork and had owner sign title and provide bill of sale. Took said paper work to TX registers office and had the car registered, paid taxes and had my license plates and title issued in my name. Done deal. I did everything. All seller had to do was provide a signed title and bill of sale.

On another note, the VIN on my 65 was wrong. When I rebuilt it I noticed someone took the VIN off the door plate rather than the stamped steel VIN on the body. So, the stamped VIN and the VIN on the title did not match (never noticed this when the car was purchased because a VIN verification in TX is not required).

I had to physically take the car to the local police impound lot and have them run the VIN to verify it was not a stolen vehicle and it had to be there so they could physically see the VIN. Once they realized the car was not stolen and verified the VIN on the car the cop provided me with some paperwork. Took that paperwork to the registers office and they issued me a new title with the correct VIN.

So, I'm sure FL is requiring the VIN verification before issuing a title to ensure the correct VIN is placed on the title. Again, buyers responsibility to do this. It is inconvenient, but not difficult.

shurur

Established Member
I think that when he goes to register the car in FL, there is a Sheriff right there to check the vin.

It should no different a process than when someone moves to FL from out of state.

_Snake_

Established Member
I think that when he goes to register the car in FL, there is a Sheriff right there to check the vin.

It should no different a process than when someone moves to FL from out of state.

Just an agent from the local tax office.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
^^^This.

If you absolutely cannot help this guy out then the buyer receives car and goes through the process to have it registered. If he's not comfortable he can refuse to buy the car. But, it's always the buyers responsibility to get their purchase registered and go through the process per their state laws.

I purchased my 03 Vert out of Phoenix. Drove up there and picked it up. Completed paperwork and had owner sign title and provide bill of sale. Took said paper work to TX registers office and had the car registered, paid taxes and had my license plates and title issued in my name. Done deal. I did everything. All seller had to do was provide a signed title and bill of sale.

On another note, the VIN on my 65 was wrong. When I rebuilt it I noticed someone took the VIN off the door plate rather than the stamped steel VIN on the body. So, the stamped VIN and the VIN on the title did not match (never noticed this when the car was purchased because a VIN verification in TX is not required).

I had to physically take the car to the local police impound lot and have them run the VIN to verify it was not a stolen vehicle and it had to be there so they could physically see the VIN. Once they realized the car was not stolen and verified the VIN on the car the cop provided me with some paperwork. Took that paperwork to the registers office and they issued me a new title with the correct VIN.

So, I'm sure FL is requiring the VIN verification before issuing a title to ensure the correct VIN is placed on the title. Again, buyers responsibility to do this. It is inconvenient, but not difficult.
I think they do it to ensure the buyer is not purchasing a stolen car.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Just registered all my out of state cars in florida over the last few months.

They will do this when he goes to register.

They check the vin and mileage.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread