Fixed front suspension rattle!

coild

Established Member
Greetings everyone!

My 2004 Lightning developed a metallic front suspension rattle when hitting a rough patch of road or even small pothole. Where I live, the roads are total crap, so no surprise. She has about 97K miles & is bone stock.
Turns out it was on the passenger side where the front stabilizer bar mounts to the frame with a saddle bushing holder.
There is one on each side mounted to the frame rail.
I was able to duplicate the sound simply by smacking the stabilizer bar with my palm. Went to the dealer....and as common as those bolts are...they are dis-continued. I was shocked. Ended up having to remove another bolt from the driver side, taking that one to Home Depot to find out what size it was. The stripped one was damaged beyond repair and I was unable to screw a nut onto it to find the size.
Turns out it is stinking metric ; an M10-1.5 X 20 mm hex bolt. It is about 1/8" shorter than the original, but works just great.
Noise is gone!

Just wanted to give a heads up, if anyone else had this issue.

Dusten

Established Member
Greetings everyone!

My 2004 Lightning developed a metallic front suspension rattle when hitting a rough patch of road or even small pothole. Where I live, the roads are total crap, so no surprise. She has about 97K miles & is bone stock.
Turns out it was on the passenger side where the front stabilizer bar mounts to the frame with a saddle bushing holder.
I was able to duplicate the sound simply by smacking the stabilizer bar with my palm. Went to the dealer....and as common as those bolts are...they are dis-continued. I was shocked. Ended up having to remove another bolt from the driver side, taking that one to Home Depot to find out what size it was. The stripped one was damaged beyond repair and I was unable to screw a nut onto it to find the size.
Turns out it is stinking metric ; an M10-1.5 X 20 mm hex bolt. It is about 1/8" shorter than the original, but works just great.
Noise is gone!

Everything on the truck is metric.

Murcie

Greetings everyone!

Noise is gone!

I like your blue truck. Sell it?

GerryMX

Established Member
My friend is looking at this 2005 SVT Lightning and the owner mentioned the intermittent suspension rattle coming from the front passenger side. We'll just finish the installation of the headache rack and tonneau covers on the Silverado tomorrow and we'll take a look at it.

Dusten

Established Member
My friend is looking at this 2005 SVT Lightning and the owner mentioned the intermittent suspension rattle coming from the front passenger side. We'll just finish the installation of the headache rack and tonneau covers on the Silverado tomorrow and we'll take a look at it.

There was no 2005 lightning

OX1

Established Member
Greetings everyone!

Noise is gone!

What grade bolt, did you duplicate that grade?

Users who are viewing this thread