Fixed exhaust leak/rattle w new clamps now louder?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
So when I installed a pipes OR X and steeda down pipes we could really never get the band clamp at the front of the X to not leak. Put Copper RTV and that all but fixed it but about 2k miles later I had this annoying rattle. Today I put it on ramps and checked and it was the passenger side band clamp. It just wouldn't ever fit right and if you hit the X pipe you could clearly hear it. I got creative and took the band clamps off my stock mufflers that had been replaced and put those on which werent as big but seemed to seal and fit much better. I ended up doing that to both sides. Then when I started the car the weirdest thing happened. First of all it was WAAAY deeper sounding. I thought at first it was a big leak but its not, I checked. Also upon driving there is WAY more vibration and the sound is much much smoother. No more rattle either. None. What do you guys think that's all about. My guess is the little bit smaller band clamps allow for more vibration and its finally sealed. Very odd to say the least. Thoughts?

choate

Established Member
Well this set up doesn't leak that's for sure but the clamps are just not as heavy duty I think. I'll compare when I swap back bc the vibration in the car around 2k RPMs is insane. It rattles everything. Vibrations pretty much everywhere have increased a ton. It's almost unbearable and I think over a few weeks or months it would drive me crazy. Very odd a band clamp that's not really that much smaller can cause such a huge change. If I could have just tightened the original clamp down more to keep it from rattling I would have just done that but it is rusty and I couldn't get it tighter when I tried and just thought swapping to the muffler clamps would fix it. It def did fix the rattle but the vibration and drone it created in the exhaust is crazy. Going back out to lay on my back on the concrete for a while. I'll report back later. I'm gonna be real ticked if when I get the original clamps back on if it's rattling again.

Last edited:

choate

Established Member
Well I guess it was just leaking before. I found a leak after reinstalling again. Done with the band clamps. It's getting welded in Tuesday. No more rattles or leaks from those stupid clamps for me

One thing I would add is if you were thinking of doing the OR down pipes I wouldn't waste your time and just get a full OR X or H. That will I believe bolt right up to the header and elimate the band clamps that are right behind the front wheel. Trust me they leak and rattle these are steeda brand which are supposed to fit best. They were given to me so thankfully I don't feel like I wasted money but will be paying to have them welded in.

Last edited:

choate

Established Member
Did you not reuse the factory clamps from the cats?

Yeah. That was what was originally used. It always had a little leak but nothing too bad. Then when it started rattling that's when I got the idea to use the ones that were on the factory mufflers. They are the exact same thing as the ones from the factory cats btw. The weld job probably won't cost me any more than $40 so I'm not too worried about it. My exhaust guy told me no matter what anyone says those band clamps may always leak bc they aren't made exactly for the delete pipes and will probably come loose again at some point and just get it welded and then you know it'll be sealed. That pretty much sold me

choate

Established Member
Sorry about driving this thread into the ground but another update. I think before the bolt that pinches the band together was touching the underside of the car causing all that vibrating. I tried another time to reposition the clamps and bolt and put copper RTV all the way around where the pipes meet and the outside edges of the clamp at the pipe and to my surprise it is back to normal with no rattle or vibration. So far lol. I got a C- in Shade Tree mechanics 101 btw but dang it I still passed

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Sorry about driving this thread into the ground but another update. I think before the bolt that pinches the band together was touching the underside of the car causing all that vibrating.

Ya you might want to fix that. The knock sensors will pick it up as false knock and dumb down your timing.

choate

Established Member
Ya you might want to fix that. The knock sensors will pick it up as false knock and dumb down your timing.

Thanks for the advice. I re-clamped it down and it's quiet now with no vibrations. Something was way off before. Working with race ramps and a 1.5" lowered car = not much room to work with. I think the clamp was off causing a leak. All seems good now

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I re-clamped it down and it's quiet now with no vibrations. Something was way off before. Working with race ramps and a 1.5" lowered car = not much room to work with. I think the clamp was off causing a leak. All seems good now

Glad to help, and it may not have been something that you did. Things can look good while the vehicle is being worked on, but a lot can change once it gets on the road. Heat and vibration could have shifted things.

Users who are viewing this thread