First time to the track need advice

03dsgdreams

Established Member
First time to the track took a couple pics and time slips

On my way out to milan drag way here in michigan with my 12 gt. Never ran down the quarter mile before any tips would be greatly appreciated. By the way just installed my Bama race tune yesterday and I love it the idall is spot on, drivability is great and the power is awesome.

Last edited:

13BremboGT

Established Member
Assuming you are mostly stock plus a tune, launch around 2k rpms and slip the clutch some off the line. Anything more and you will be roasting tires. After that, just bang gears. If you're not chirping 4th, you're doing it wrong.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Still here. Ran 4 times so far its taking me some getting use to especially the stageing lights. I ran couple 13.0s a 13.2, 13.4 and ready for it a 16.3 lol I spun bad and missed 3rd. Best 60 ft was a 1.9199 I'm not leaving until I get in the 12s

old_goat

Established Member
Still here. Ran 4 times so far its taking me some getting use to especially the stageing lights. I ran couple 13.0s a 13.2, 13.4 and ready for it a 16.3 lol I spun bad and missed 3rd. Best 60 ft was a 1.9199 I'm not leaving until I get in the 12s

September/October (if your track is still open) brings cooler air, and you're there.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Last 3 runs were in the 12s! Best was a 12.85 @ 113 with a 2.1522 60 ft. If I can just get that dam 60 ft time down..

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Gonna be hard on street tires and hopefully they prep better than the gulfport track i went to. I ran a 12.39 and that was about the best i could do and i couldnt get better than a 2.0 60' on the streets ....good luck

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
e5upe4us.jpg

ze6u5upe.jpg

8yja2azy.jpg

eru7eza4.jpg

7yvurusu.jpg

ybavuga2.jpg

ehemusa5.jpg

4yhujyza.jpg

03dsgdreams

Established Member
^ My car has a bama 93 race tune and a gt 500 axle back. How do my reaction times look? I don't know what's considered a good reaction time. I know my 60 ft can improve with some more time at the track and that should really help. I'm glad I got it into the twelves but I'm still a little disappointed because I've seen some people on here run better times completely stock. I just installed my Bama tune yesterday and can definitely feel a difference I'm very happy with it so far. I know the car is capable of a faster time I just need to work on my driving techniques. :beer:

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
^ My car has a bama 93 race tune and a gt 500 axle back. How do my reaction times look? I don't know what's considered a good reaction time. I know my 60 ft can improve with some more time at the track and that should really help. I'm glad I got it into the twelves but I'm still a little disappointed because I've seen some people on here run better times completely stock. I just installed my Bama tune yesterday and can definitely feel a difference I'm very happy with it so far. I know the car is capable of a faster time I just need to work on my driving techniques. :beer:

are they running the stock pirellies or something else? Those pirellies are garbage if that is what you still have. There are far stickier A/S tires than the summer pirelli tires. Also some really good summer tires far stickier than the pirellies.

somethings you can do to help, run with a half full or less gas tank. Pull the spare. I forget if the 12's have them, I know my 11 does. Make sure your tire pressure is 100% spot on. If over or under inflated street tires actually loose traction. Not to be confused with street radials or slicks that benefit from lower tire pressure.

apart from that, practice practice practice. Also, playing with the launching is key. Some people can do 2K clutch dumps, some people can do 2K fethering the clutch, others start out like starting out on the road. Seems like depending on tires/suspension etc. that these different ways of starting can all work differently.

Don't be afraid to try different things. Also make sure your TC is off.

Last edited:

1Bad5.0

Established Member
Your reaction times could use some improving, but that doesn't effect the ET at all....more seat time in the car and you'll see better RT's

03dsgdreams

Established Member
^ Yeah I ran like 10 times and started to feel like I was pushing my luck as far as beating the crap out of my car. Now I wish I would have stayed and ran a few more passes because I was starting to get use to it.

Users who are viewing this thread