First time overheating

Black Chip

Established Member
Just getting back to SVT, searching threads and looking for help.
I never had any cooling issues. Have had my current setup since 2008.
I was out this weekend. Car ran fine for a while. Then while under light acceleration the car stumbled. Sort of nosed over. I felt it but my wife thought I was nuts.
I almost pulled in my driveway but decided to go around the block again.
Same thing happened. Got back home and it let loose. Coolant vapor pouring out.
I thought I blew a hose! Got it in front of garage (in case I had to push it in) and shut it down.
It was coming out from under the cap on my Canton overflow tank.
I did notice a slight anti freeze smell at times during the day.
Would the T-stat be the first thing to change?
Does the computer pull back on power when the car gets too hot?
Should I diagnose further to see if it's water pump or something else?
Gauge was way high but not pegged.
I might give it a romp when it's cold to see if the stumble is gone.
Thanks for any help. I used to enjoy helping those that were doing the same mods I did back in the day.
Trying to get some guidance in the right direction myself now. Thanks again!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
My car overheated last summer. I was about 10 min from home. I saw the gage go up up up so I pulled over. Let the car cool for a few min. Started back up and coolant came pouring out from the cap. Let the car cool down for couple hours while I hung out in a parking lot and was able to limp the car home. Ended up diagnosing a bad fan. Replaced it, burped the system and the car is perfectly fine. I was worried I possibly warped a head or damaged a head gasket but I got lucky. Good thing I noticed something didn't seem right and stopped driving the car.

I would check the fan for proper operation first.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Check the fan as mentioned. Mine did something similar when the fan died. Also check the radiator cap. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a new one on for good measure.

The computer will pull timing when things heat up. Don't romp on anything cold or not unto you get the cooling system sorted.

Black Chip

Established Member
Radiator is another item,,

Even without use,, 15k. And 18 years of sitting still.

Alot of threads on cooling issues
Check the fan as mentioned. Mine did something similar when the fan died. Also check the radiator cap. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a new one on for good measure.

The computer will pull timing when things heat up. Don't romp on anything cold or not unto you get the cooling system sorted.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I/C pump may not have kicked on either. Time for a little investigation. Hopefully nothing too crazy for you. Welcome back too!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I/C pump may not have kicked on either. Time for a little investigation. Hopefully nothing too crazy for you. Welcome back too!

The intercooler pump wouldn't affect the main cooling system. All he would notice then is a lack of power. It wouldn't cause the engine coolant to get that hot.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The intercooler pump wouldn't affect the main cooling system. All he would notice then is a lack of power. It wouldn't cause the engine coolant to get that hot.

this.

Keep it simple

1) is the ac condenser/radiator plugged up with crap?
2) is the fan working on both low and high speed? Let it idle up to temp with climate controls off, stock fan turn on temp is around 205-208 if I remember right (put the dash cluster is engineering mode or use a scanner), then turn the AC on and within a minute or two it should kick up into high speed
3) a new cap is a cheap thing to try from the parts cannon
4) then move onto things like thermostat and water pump.

Black Chip

Established Member
this.

Keep it simple

1) is the ac condenser/radiator plugged up with crap?
2) is the fan working on both low and high speed? Let it idle up to temp with climate controls off, stock fan turn on temp is around 205-208 if I remember right (put the dash cluster is engineering mode or use a scanner), then turn the AC on and within a minute or two it should kick up into high speed
3) a new cap is a cheap thing to try from the parts cannon
4) then move onto things like thermostat and water pump.
T-Stat definitely working. Fan was not. Found a blown fuse. Fixed that and then..... heard that awful sound. Cracked or busted fan. Didn't take it out today but ordered the part. Been away too long. Sounds like it's a common issue. Cheap easy fix. I already ordered the 170 T-Stat from Lethal so that's going in too. Thanks everyone!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
T-Stat definitely working. Fan was not. Found a blown fuse. Fixed that and then..... heard that awful sound. Cracked or busted fan. Didn't take it out today but ordered the part. Been away too long. Sounds like it's a common issue. Cheap easy fix. I already ordered the 170 T-Stat from Lethal so that's going in too. Thanks everyone!

first fan I had split at the seam during a pull, thought uncle Rodney was at the door. Never so glad to replace a fan

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Make sure you burp it right too after the T-stat change and revise the fan settings if you can.

How2003cobra

Established Member
Hey guys new to the site. My 03 cobra stated to overheat from the overfill cap. took off the cross over plug and no coolant there. any suggestions why?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hey guys new to the site. My 03 cobra stated to overheat from the overfill cap. took off the cross over plug and no coolant there. any suggestions why?
Asking in another thread for help.on your vehicle should be done with a new thread.

When you go and start one,
Look above section.

Stickys, these are full of Information..each section has something different..

Talk section
Engine section

So on.

See read before you post.

How to thread.

Cobra bobs termator facts and questions. He spent many years on this. Has almost every question with answers.

See svt documents ..
This has every thing else.

Also in here is the ford factory manual.
Both repair and emmision
Than full wiring diagrams,,

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad you found the simple issue. Mine ended up being a blown head gasket....ftl

Users who are viewing this thread