First time out car bogs.

BLKXTC

Established Member
I have an 04 cobra and no matter what rpm i launched at the car bogs and falls on its face. Best 60 ft was 2.03. Mods are cold air, t.b, bassani x-pipe,bassani cat back and and irs brace with mt 275/40r17. Maybe i need more seat time but very dissappointed. The car ran a 12.66. Anyone else have the same problem. It has stock gears but it seems like forever to shift from 1st to 2nd. The car is hooking but just cant get the 60s ft down any help would be great.

NukeGuard

Established Member
Do you have the T/C (traction control) off? If it's on, that would definitely make it fall on it's face.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Mickey Thompsons are no joke, but you should be able to launch without bogging. Maybe add a little more air pressure. Launch at 5000+ and it shouldn't bog.

BLKXTC

Established Member
Ah yeah traction was off. Leaving at about 4,500 5,000rpms. I had 15lbs of pressure in the tires on stock wheels. It comes out but then its like the tires bite so much that it falls back on its face. I would like to have 1.7s which isnt difficult. It does have a stock clutch with no adj. or quad. maybe thats it. I have qa1 12 way adj. on the back and have them set on the lowest setting for drag and the front sway bar off on stock irs.. And im just shifting into 4th coming through the traps it seems like if i try to ride 3rd out it will hit the rev limiter.... Great times F8LSNAKE.......Yeah and the 12.66 was granny shifting so I know there is more room for improvement!

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I remember driving a friend of mine's cobra that was basically stock and it would do the same thing. Hell, try 6000 launch then. If that don't do it, go ahead and add some pulleys. That should fix the bogging problem. At least you have traction. I would rather have that problem then no traction. Easier to fix. Your times aren't that far off, but I definately think you can get into the low 12's with practice, maybe even 11's without pulleys. Thanks for the compliment and good luck.

BLKXTC

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. My goal is 11.99 or faster the way it sits I just put a adj. and quad on and the car powershifts great now so I think its somewhat fixed but need to go back to the track for better times. I love the times you put down. I bought a steggy stage 4 and and 6lbs lower and jpc is going to do the tune. I bought all the suspension first for it so it has a k-member and coilover sitting waiting to put on but was kind of trying to do suspension first and see how fast it can go and then bolt the performance side on next but got like $6000 worth of parts waiting to go on. Is your car a solid rear or irs?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
It's solid now, but I've only had 3 passes with it. Unfortunately, the first day out with the solid rear I torched the motor. That's why on the last time in my sig it only ran 121. The motor is back in now and will be back in action soon. I've still yet to get a clean pass with the ported blower. On the 10.95 irs pass I missed 4th gear. I'm hoping for mid 10s with it once it's all sorted out.

BLKXTC

Established Member
What do you think about the whole irs/solid rear deal. I would love to launch the car like my old 93 gt with h/c/i. But like the drivibilty of the irs. (handling) I want a low 11 second street car with 17s all the way around it. Maybe even high 10s on maybe a little shot. But also don't want to put a roll cage in it. Theres nothing like a black terminator. Your car looks sick with those wheels on it. By the way are you able to hold 3rd gear coming through the traps or should i move rev-limiter up. Stock gears. Thanks man for your help.

BLKXTC

Established Member
What do you think about the whole irs/solid rear deal. I would love to launch the car like my old 93 gt with h/c/i. But like the drivibilty of the irs. (handling) I want a low 11 second street car with 17s all the way around it. Maybe even high 10s on maybe a little shot. But also don't want to put a roll cage in it. Theres nothing like a black terminator. Your car looks sick with those wheels on it. By the way are you able to hold 3rd gear coming through the traps or should i move rev-limiter up. Stock gears. Thanks man for your help.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Even with stock gears you should be shifting into 4th gear. When I had stock gears I shifted 4th around the 1000' mark.

As far as the irs vs. sra, it really depends on what you like. I loved the ride of the irs, but I'm more into drag racing, therefore I went solid. It's just simpler imo. I did run 10s with the stock irs and low 11s with 18" drag radials. It's(irs) tougher than some would have you believe. Wheelhop seems to be the real killer. If you can avoid that, then it might last awhile. I'd say if you only go to the track every once in awhile, keep the irs.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
If I had to guess, you probably run at Mason Dixon since your from Winchester(BTW, I used to live there myself)

When the big slick cars are out, Mason Dixon is probably one of the best hooking tracks in the area. I would say with alittle more seat time and the right combo of letting the clutch out and giving it gas, you will get closer to reaching your goals. With your setup, you could also try going 2 or 3 clicks stiffer with the rear shocks so your not hitting the tires as hard. Good luck!

MIKEC501

Established Member
I went to the track last night and had the same problem. I just have a k&n fipk and M.T. dr's and I tryed leaveing at 4 grand and it just bogged I got a 2.0 60 ft and ran a 13.0 at 108 mph. just wanted to see what it would run stock. and the air was real bad hott and humid.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
People don't usually believe it when you tell em, but you have to launch these cars hard. If it bogs keep upping the rpm till it doesn't.

BLKXTC

Established Member
Going to Manassas with the Pro-Stick Cars in a couple weeks so we will see. Got new firewall adj. on and a quad. so I will be able to power-shift for the first time. Yes from what I hear Mason-Dixon is hooking better than M.I.R. this year kind of crazy because I love M.I.R. I'm still used to my 5.0 off 6250 and dump the clutch. So will keep everyone posted. I would like to go 11s on a stock pulleys with me driving the shit out of it. I'm going to play around with the qa1s. Thanks everyone.

98bullet

Established Member
my buddy has a 04'cobra with a stock clutch and he runs the MT's on 17's and lauches at 4500 and has no problems..he pulls off 1.7 60' times...you just need a lil more seat time...just make sure when you drop the clutch, you let all the way off and mash the gas, no hesitation...hell I have my 98', but I swap wheels to my 15x8 w/ 275x50 and pull off 1.8 60' times launching at 4500...and none off my other cobra buddies have any problem w/ launching...so my advice is to just get some practice...

BLKXTC

Established Member
Yeah just a little scared of the axles popping. So kind of babied it the first time out. I just don't want to be left at the track with a broken axle. Car has low mileage so will definently try leaving higher the stock clutch still has alot left.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
you have to feather the clutch. if you just drop it and hold 5k, it bites good, and bogs.
so feather the clutch, its hard and it take getting use to it, and you are going to roll threw the light a few times, but that is how you get to know the launch.
trust me. i see guys blow the tires off leaving the line, and that isnt helping them, and guys that rev it up, and drop the clutch, and bog.
so learn to feather it and you will be good.
just a tip. works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread