First time 1/4 Paxton

phils04gt

Established Member
Well, finally got some tires for the car that would allow for some traction. Picked up a set of MTs 275-60-15 and some race stars. I did have some clutch issues so I am attributing my slower times to that. On every launch, the clutch pedal would stick to the floor and would take a while for it to fully engage.

Mods: Paxton kit with stock pulley, JLT, O/R X, tuned by BBR. It is a manual car. Not sure what it puts down for power but I am guessing around 600.

Don't have all the numbers but remember the important parts of it.

1st pass launched at 4k and clutch stuck:

60' 2.0
1/8 - 7.96 at 97 MPH
1/4 - 11.8 at 126 mph

Second pass gave me the biggest issue with clutch, tried launching at 5k
Pass felt good for the first 60ft but bogged when I let clutch out, never fully engaged until second gear. It felt like I was in first gear for about a week, and the RPMs seemed to stay at 3k for what seemed like years.

1/4 - 12.4 at 124

3rd pass would have been the best pass of the day but missed 4th.

60' - 2.0
1/8 - 7.88 at 101
1/4 - crap. Missed 4th

I am going to go back to the track once I replace the clutch line and fluid. After I hit second gear, the car feels like an absolute beast! The 1-2 shift is viloent as hell.

Last edited:

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Interesting. It doesn't seem like most people have clutch issues at that level, so I am curious how this pans out.

hopony

Established Member
I have had trouble shifting at track from day one. Locks me out in third at track half the time. With tune pedal stuck to floor anytime you go over 7k. So changed line no it shifts but pedal still gets soft when you beat on it.

Last edited:

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
guess im just lucky cause ive never had a lockout or the pedal stick to the floor and just turned 32k miles

sean04

Established Member
Yes the clutch is going to drive you crazy. Do yourself a favor and upgrade the clutch before you damage the tranny.

I cannot shift above 7000rpms without getting locked out of gear

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The most critical junction to transmitting power is the clutch, therefore i had mine replaced at the time of my Paxton install. Stock clutch felt cheesy before the install. also did a clutch line upgrade aluminum flywheel amsoil fluid change, and a very important upgrade for shifting upgraded motor mounts!

try03venom

Established Member
Well, finally got some tires for the car that would allow for some traction. Picked up a set of MTs 275-60-15 and some race stars. I did have some clutch issues so I am attributing my slower times to that. On every launch, the clutch pedal would stick to the floor and would take a while for it to fully engage.

Mods: Paxton kit with stock pulley, JLT, O/R X, tuned by BBR. It is a manual car. Not sure what it puts down for power but I am guessing around 600.

Don't have all the numbers but remember the important parts of it.

1st pass launched at 4k and clutch stuck:

60' 2.0
1/8 - 7.96 at 97 MPH
1/4 - 11.8 at 126 mph

Second pass gave me the biggest issue with clutch, tried launching at 5k
Pass felt good for the first 60ft but bogged when I let clutch out, never fully engaged until second gear. It felt like I was in first gear for about a week, and the RPMs seemed to stay at 3k for what seemed like years.

1/4 - 12.4 at 124

3rd pass would have been the best pass of the day but missed 4th.

60' - 2.0
1/8 - 7.88 at 101
1/4 - crap. Missed 4th

I am going to go back to the track once I replace the clutch line and fluid. After I hit second gear, the car feels like an absolute beast! The 1-2 shift is viloent as hell.

what about props for the pit crew chief??? :rockon:

phils04gt

Established Member
Anyone ever hear of the built in clutch protection? Sounds very similar if it came with the 14 GTs. Sounds like this is what is happening, or at least same symptoms.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Did you take out the clutch assist spring? Mine used to stick but I've never had a problem since I took that spring out.

phils04gt

Established Member
I think I may have figured it out, maybe. I disabled traction control but not the adcancetrac when I had it at the track. Didn't know that the car even had that option. Hopefully that was it.

13DIB5.0

Established Member
I havnt been down the 1/4 yet with my Paxton but on street tires I went 7.60 at 99 with a 1.9 sixty foot, very embarrassing for me, but slicks next time

Users who are viewing this thread