first oil change on 2012 gt

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UnleashedBeast, you need to give the ones that doubt the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I know, right, but this is somewhat a different case.

Most people don't realize that 20 grade lubricants are on the heavy side of the 20 grade range, and 30 grades are on the light side of the 30 grade range. They are close in viscosity, but people see the 20 to 30 jump and think "big 10" OH NOESSSSSS....the sky is falling....WARRANTY WARRANTY!!!

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
^ I haven't got a tune yet because i don't want to void my warranty.. If I do get a tune it will be a ford racing pro cal that covers the 3 year 36k warranty but not the 5 year 60k powertrain. Im pretty happy with the car the way it is so i may just leave it alone aside from some gt500 mufflers. So your saying that a 20 weight oil is actually thicker then a 30 weight? No i do not think the sky is falling lol.. I trust the information you have given me and went with the oil you recommended based on that info. I just don't want ford to be like ohh you have the wrong oil in here warranty denied..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So your saying that a 20 weight oil is actually thicker then a 30 weight?

No, not what I was saying at all. I edited my post for more clarity. Here is a picture to assist you.

Green = Amsoil all SS 30 grades, Red = Motorcraft 5W-20

The areas of significance are in the blue boxes.

20vs30_zpsaacffdb0.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The 50 weights confuse me with the GT-500's and 2013 drag pack? I'd think a 40 would be more than sufficient?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The 50 weights confuse me with the GT-500's and 2013 drag pack? I'd think a 40 would be more than sufficient?

You are correct, and I have been preaching this in the GT500 forums for 2 years. There is a dedicated thread on it, and most everyone there is on the 10W-40 true synthetic band wagon now.

SixPak

Established Member
Seems lots of people have lots of questions about oil.

A good source of oil information as well as oil testing can be found at
- Bob is the Oil Guy in case anyone is interested in educating themselves on some of the fundemental aspects of lubricants, adpaks, etc.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Seems lots of people have lots of questions about oil.

A good source of oil information as well as oil testing can be found at
- Bob is the Oil Guy in case anyone is interested in educating themselves on some of the fundemental aspects of lubricants, adpaks, etc.

There is a lot of good knowledge to be found there, however....be very careful who you take advice from. There are a few we have narrowed down to be employed by big oil with very biased opinions on lubricants. They are easy to spot, much like a liberal in politics.

Key traits they try to ram down the untrained throats....

1. Hydrocracked petroleum isn't inferior to PAO or Esters.
2. ................................ gives the same efficiency and performance as true synthetics, etc.

and on....and on. It's all BS. These were the same guys that denied Mobil 1 was using hydrocracked petroleum before the evidence leaked. Then their tune changed.

Users who are viewing this thread