first oil change on 2012 gt

46-062

Established Member
Thanks. Whats with the royal purple guy? He says 5w20.. :??:

The "Royal Purple Guy" is recommending a warranty-compliant 5w-20 API licensed oil drained at factory recommended intervals as specified in your owner's manual to maintain the warranty.

Using a warranty-compliant motor oil can be ten times better when making an engine warranty claim.

Here's what your 2012 Owner's Manual states:

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the
current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.
To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification
WSS-M2C945-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and
durability performance meeting all requirements for your
vehicle’s engine.

The American Petroleum Institute does not list any Amsoil 0w-30 oil as licensed.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ten times better? :eek: WOW!!!:lol:

Used as a figure of speech, but there is no comparison of performance of Amsoil AZO 0W-30 to Motorcraft 5W-20

Thanks. Whats with the royal purple guy? He says 5w20.. :??:

Jimmy is an employee if Royal Purple. Their legal department has requirements for recommendations for any motor vehicle under warranty. He is clearly following those policies, and I commend him for it. If your car was not under warranty, his recommendation would be different.

Sid, owner of SVT Performance uses Royal Purple 5W-30 in his 2011+ GT.

Link

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 is only 1.7 cSt more viscous than their equivalent 5W-20. *a very light 30 grade*

The American Petroleum Institute does not list any Amsoil 0w-30 oil as licensed.

They shouldn't, Al. Amatuzio CEO of Amsoil has licensed the lesser XL and OE lubricants. He has no desire to license the Signature Series lubricants, even though they pass/exceed all API SN requirements.

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
The "Royal Purple Guy" is recommending a warranty-compliant 5w-20 API licensed oil drained at factory recommended intervals as specified in your owner's manual to maintain the warranty.

Using a warranty-compliant motor oil can be ten times better when making an engine warranty claim.

Here's what your 2012 Owner's Manual states:

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the
current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.
To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification
WSS-M2C945-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and
durability performance meeting all requirements for your
vehicle’s engine.

Thanks for the info. I meant no disrespest when i referred to you as the "royal purple guy" im at work and was in a rush. As far as the warranty goes i think im good with the amsoil it says recommended for applications requiring the following: API SN (Resource Conserving), SM...
ford WSS-M2C946-A and WSS-M2C929-A. You got me all worried now, unleashed had me feeling like i had the best oil out there for my car. I was worried at first because his recommendation its not what ford recommends and they built the car so i figured ford knows best. But supposdly the 5w20 reccomendation is all politics/bean counters trying to save on money that ford would have to pay the federal government.
:shrug::??:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I was worried at first because his recommendation its not what ford recommends and they built the car so i figured ford knows best. But supposdly the 5w20 reccomendation is all politics/bean counters trying to save on money that ford would have to pay the federal government.

You got it, 5W-20 is all about CAFE laws and saving money.

What is the penalty for not meeting CAFE requirements for any given model year (MY)?

The penalty for failing to meet CAFE standards recently increased from $5.00 to $5.50 per tenth of a mile per gallon for each tenth under the target value times the total volume of those vehicles manufactured for a given model year.

Since 1983, manufacturers have paid more than $500 million in civil penalties. Most European manufacturers regularly pay CAFE civil penalties ranging from less than $1 million to more than $20 million annually.

What are CAFE credits?

Manufacturers can earn CAFE “credits” to offset deficiencies in their CAFE performances. Specifically, when the average fuel economy of either the passenger car or light truck fleet for a particular model year exceeds the established standard, the manufacturer earns credits. The amount of credit a manufacturer earns is determined by multiplying the tenths of a mile per gallon that the manufacturer exceeded the CAFE standard in that model year by the amount of vehicles they manufactured in that model year. These credits can be applied to any three consecutive model years immediately prior to or subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned. The credits earned and applied to the model years prior to the model year for which the credits are earned are termed “carry back” credits, while those applied to model years subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned are known as “carry forward” credits. Failure to exercise carry forward credits within the three years immediately following the year in which they are earned will result in the forfeiture of those credits. Credits cannot be passed between manufacturers or between fleets, e.g., from domestic passenger cars to light trucks.

46-062

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I meant no disrespest when i referred to you as the "royal purple guy" im at work and was in a rush. As far as the warranty goes i think im good with the amsoil it says recommended for applications requiring the following: API SN (Resource Conserving), SM...
ford WSS-M2C946-A and WSS-M2C929-A. You got me all worried now, unleashed had me feeling like i had the best oil out there for my car. I was worried at first because his recommendation its not what ford recommends and they built the car so i figured ford knows best. But supposdly the 5w20 reccomendation is all politics/bean counters trying to save on money that ford would have to pay the federal government.

I'm not the Royal Purple guy (although I have RP in my transmission and differential).

Ford engineers have stated on internet forums that Ford's change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 was driven by CAFE. The simple fact remains Ford specifies an API certified motor oil. I for one refuse to dick around with non API certified motor oils simply because I do not want to give Ford Motor Company or any other manufacturer even the slightest reason to deny a warranty claim. Just because I wrote a check for my 2004 Mach 1 and 2005 F250 Powerstroke doesn't mean I'm willing or able to cover my own engine warranty expenses.

The Mach 1 engine (like '03-'04 Cobra Mustang motors) has reported head ticking issues. The 2005 Powerstroke has had a cavalcade of engine issues. For the duration of both warranties, I had the dealer perform oil changes while I supplied the API rated synthetic oil for both, with the Service Manager noting the type and weight of oil on the work order. I thought $19.99 labor per oil change was very cheap for peace of mind. (Draining and dumping four gallons of diesel motor oil is alone worth $19.95.)

Off the top of my head, I recall Toyota and Volkswagen both having major oil related engine failure problems. The Powerstroke problems are legendary. Google Volkswagen turbo engine failures. VW claimed customers were running the incorrect spec oil.

I paid for my car and the warranty and see no reason for going out of specification on engine oil until the warranty period has expired. If I wanted to use Amsoil on a in-warranty Ford, I'd choose an API certified variant in the factory specified weight.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks 46-062!

Ford obviously needs to keep their CAFE in line but on certain engines that I assume did not "durability test" well with 5W-20, Ford has moved several engines away from 5W-20.

The initial launch of the 2010 SHO Taurus was 5W-20 and later changed to 5W-30.

Ditto for the rest of the 3.5L Ecoboost engines in the F150 and the other vehicles as well.

The 4.O SOHC V6s were also 5W-30.

My 2004 SVT Focus is a 5W-30 engine, yet my 2004 SVT SUPERCHARGED Cobra Mustang was a 5W-20 spec.:eek::uh oh::dw::bash::burn:

Obviously certain engines will tolerate 5W-20 without any serious issues and Ford knows which ones those are and which ones will not.

Notice that identical 5.0L V8 engines in a 2013 Mustang take different oil, primarily due to I suspect the very different usage.
Normal 2013 GT Mustang = 5W-20
Track Pack 2013 GT Mustang = 5W----------50!!!:eek::eek:

IMHO none of those Ford engines that spec a 5W-50 truly need a 5W-50, any number of decent quality Euro spec API licensed 5W-40s would surely get the job done.
But this was an opportunity to have a captive audience for a unique 5W-50 oil that Ford has left over from the Ford GT program.

Though not warranty compliant for the engines that call for 5W-50 we recommend our RP SAE 5W-40 for most stock street use cars.
RP HPS 10W-40 for mostly street use modified vehicles
and RP XPR 10W-40 for the guys in dedicated race cars or the FIRE BREATHING over 700+ rwhp crowd.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I'd like to use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car on my next oil change. Is that acceptable or should I just stick with Mobil 1 5W-30, which I've been using. I see that a lot of guys run 10W-30 motor oils in their Coyote's, so I wanted to do the same with Mobil 1.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
So it has been about 500 miles since my first oil change and it seems the Amsoil AZO Signature series 0w30 is performing as unleashed said it would. I have noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage but what im really happy with is the fact that my engine is more quiet. It seemed to have a very slight tick before the oil change and now I hear nothing, my engine is whisper quiet.
Thanks unleashed!
:beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'd like to use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car on my next oil change. Is that acceptable or should I just stick with Mobil 1 5W-30, which I've been using. I see that a lot of guys run 10W-30 motor oils in their Coyote's, so I wanted to do the same with Mobil 1.

You live in south Florida where there are NO winters. Your car has no need for superior cold flow performance. I'd opt for the 10W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance to gain superior shear resistance and lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation/burn off). However, either lubricant in the Extended Performance line up will serve you well.

So it has been about 500 miles since my first oil change and it seems the Amsoil AZO Signature series 0w30 is performing as unleashed said it would. I have noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage but what im really happy with is the fact that my engine is more quiet. It seemed to have a very slight tick before the oil change and now I hear nothing, my engine is whisper quiet.
Thanks unleashed!
:beer:

AZO 0W-30 is Amsoil's #1 passenger car formulation. From the UOA's I have seen, since it's made with true synthetic base stocks, it's just as shear resistant as their ATM 10W-30. I gained mpg efficiency in a 2008 Mustang GT using it. Switched from Mobil 1 5W-20 (non-EP) to AZO 0W-30, gained 1 mpg on average. It's a remarkable lubricant.

Last edited:

eightballrj

Established Member
I'm curious as to why no one is recommending the 5W-20 (ALM) for his car. I am in the same boat as I am about to do my first change at 1500-2000 miles and get into a good oil/filter combo. I have the 100k premium warranty and I don't want to lose ANY of it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm curious as to why no one is recommending the 5W-20 (ALM) for his car. I am in the same boat as I am about to do my first change at 1500-2000 miles and get into a good oil/filter combo. I have the 100k premium warranty and I don't want to lose ANY of it.

I reserve ALM for my 2012 Ford Focus daily driver grocery getter. For the horsepower monsters, most of use have gotten away from Ford's CAFE law recommendation for additional protection.

Amsoil's 30 grade Signature Series lubricants are only 1.5 cSt more viscous than Motorcraft 5W-20, so it's not a huge leap. It's like comparing a heavy 20 grade to a light 30 grade, they are chatting at the fence like hick neighbors.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I'm concerned with my warranty compliance as well. That is the sole reason my car is not tuned yet.. I may just go with a pro cal until the 3 year 36k is up then get a real tune from AED. Back on point, I went with amsoil signature series because its one of the best motor oils available, I refuse to run less of of an oil with far less protection. If I need to take it in for warranty ill drain my amsoil and keep it, put some motorcraft 5-20 in and when I get the car back ill drain the poop back out and put my amsoil right back in..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is where I get amazed at people.

They worry about warranty when it concerns OIL, but could care LESS when it concerns the custom tune in the PCM, and other bolt on parts that would be shunned on first.

eightballrj

Established Member
I agree. I won't have any of that other than after cat exhaust. So no warranty issues there.

cobraboss

Established Member
UnleashedBeast, you need to give the ones that doubt the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Users who are viewing this thread