first oil change on 2012 gt

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Ok. So should I go with Royal purple or Amsoil? Also 5-20 or 5-30 and both amsoil and royal purple have several different types of 5-30 and 5-20 synthetic motor oils. Some one please chime in and help me out. Thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ok. So should I go with Royal purple or Amsoil? Also 5-20 or 5-30 and both amsoil and royal purple have several different types of 5-30 and 5-20 synthetic motor oils. Some one please chime in and help me out. Thanks

Do you drive your car year round, or store it in the winter?

How hot do the summers get in Michigan? How long does it remain that hot?

Up north, you can't go wrong with 5W-30 Royal Purple HPS or Amsoil 0W-30 AZO. Both will serve you well.

My personal choice is Amsoil AZO 0W-30 for northern cars driven year round.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Do you drive your car year round, or store it in the winter?

How hot do the summers get in Michigan? How long does it remain that hot?

Up north, you can't go wrong with 5W-30 Royal Purple HPS or Amsoil 0W-30 AZO. Both will serve you well.

My personal choice is Amsoil AZO 0W-30 for northern cars driven year round.

Thanks for the good advice. Just curious why you recommend 0W-30 over the manufacture recommended 5W-20 and what is the difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30? The summer time here in Michigan is usually mid 70s up to high 80s, gets into the 90s every now an then. The humidity usually gets real high in late July and august, may and June are more mild it gets real hot and humid in July and august then drops back down to the 60s-70s in September. Fall is 40s and 50s(pretty much just October), winter is FREEZING(November-March). Spring is mid 50s to low 70s(April-May). I drive the car all year round unless its raining a lot or snowing, its a fair weather D.D.
Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil Signature series 30 grade lubricants are lighter 30 weights. They are only 1.6 cSt more viscous than Motorcraft 5W-20 (that's barely anything). The extra viscosity will give you some extra cushion at WOT, yet the superior base stock will yield 1 mpg better efficiency.

Use this lubricant year round with confidence in the north.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Amsoil Signature series 30 grade lubricants are lighter 30 weights. They are only 1.6 cSt more viscous than Motorcraft 5W-20 (that's barely anything). The extra viscosity will give you some extra cushion at WOT, yet the superior base stock will yield 1 mpg better efficiency.

Use this lubricant year round with confidence in the north.

Thanks so much man! So should I go with the 0w-30 or the 5w-30 and whats the difference between the two? Sorry about all the questions but it seems i can really trust your info. Thanks again.
:beer:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Oh and how often should i change the oil ford says 10k miles. The Amsoil web sight says up to 25k with the signature series oil. I do a lot of stop and go city driving as well as a lot of WOT blasts. Im thinking 5-6k between changes. What do you recommend unleashedbeast? I have 3500 miles on the clock now ant the stock/original oil is still in. My oil change percent is still at 70% on my little info gauge should i change it now or wait?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've put 5000 miles on 5w30 RP HPS in the SVTP 2012 GT. Need to change it before I make another run in it. I'll be posting an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs when I change it out.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Oh and how often should i change the oil ford says 10k miles. The Amsoil web sight says up to 25k with the signature series oil.

Take that 25,000 mile "normal service" recommendation and throw it out of the window. I never recommend anyone use Amsoil Signature Series for more than 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first. That's the "severe service" schedule.

Unless you are on the interstate making long trips 95% of the time, you should always follow severe service intervals.

The larger 8 quart sump is more than capable to make a 10,000 mile interval....even with cheaper lubricants. More oil in the sump means more detergent and dispersant additives for longer oil change intervals.

I will have a sample of Amsoil ATM 10W-30 from a 2004 Lincoln Town Car with the 4.6L 2V V8 soon. It has almost one year....and just under 15,000 miles on it. This is going to be the sample to show members what Signature Series was formulated to do. Stay tuned!

I've put 5000 miles on 5w30 RP HPS in the SVTP 2012 GT. Need to change it before I make another run in it. I'll be posting an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs when I change it out.

Travis, please send me your UOA when you get it. I want to add it to the 5.0 Coyote tracking chart.

Thanks!

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member

Thanks Sid. How many miles did you have on the svtp gt when you did the first oil change? Do you think I should change mine now at 3500 or wait until at least 5k. I have heard of a lot of guys changing there oil to early on the first change and developing a tick. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Take that 25,000 mile "normal service" recommendation and throw it out of the window. I never recommend anyone use Amsoil Signature Series for more than 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first. That's the "severe service" schedule.

Unless you are on the interstate making long trips 95% of the time, you should always follow severe service intervals.

The larger 8 quart sump is more than capable to make a 10,000 mile interval....even with cheaper lubricants. More oil in the sump means more detergent and dispersant additives for longer oil change intervals.

I will have a sample of Amsoil ATM 10W-30 from a 2004 Lincoln Town Car with the 4.6L 2V V8 soon. It has almost one year....and just under 15,000 miles on it. This is going to be the sample to show members what Signature Series was formulated to do. Stay tuned!

Travis, please send me your UOA when you get it. I want to add it to the 5.0 Coyote tracking chart.

Thanks!

So should I go with 0w-30 or 5w-30 amsoil signature. I'm sold on the 30 weigt over the 5w-20 I just don't quite understand the 0w vs 5w. Thanks again.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So should I go with 0w-30 or 5w-30 amsoil signature. I'm sold on the 30 weigt over the 5w-20 I just don't quite understand the 0w vs 5w. Thanks again.

In Michigan, go with AZO 0W-30

I have heard of a lot of guys changing there oil to early on the first change and developing a tick. Is there any truth to this?

The tick is from two possible locations. Internal engine or a TSB for the A/C Compressor, or something of that nature.

If it's internal engine, the tick happens after you change the oil. Ford is aware of the internal issues, but chose to use a special additive in their bulk 55 gallon drum containers of Motorcraft 5W-20 instead of repairing the issue. To this day, we have no idea what the special additive is.

Not all engine get the the internal tick after the first oil change.

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Unleashedbeast i took your advice and went with the amsoil azo signature 0w30 and amsoil filter. I changed it yesterday at work, got it through our distrubutor at my work for around 8 dollars per quart. I had 3800 miles on the factory oil. So im a little nervous for the hot weather coming up soon. It will be in the 90s with high humidity, is the 0w30 going to be efficiant for such high and humid temps ecspecially if im running it hard? What exactly is the difference between the 5w and the 0w?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So im a little nervous for the hot weather coming up soon. It will be in the 90s with high humidity, is the 0w30 going to be efficiant for such high and humid temps ecspecially if im running it hard? What exactly is the difference between the 5w and the 0w?

The "5W" versus "0W" is cold flow characteristics only. Both lubricants are exactly the same viscosity at engine operating temperatures. You have no need to be nervous. Amsoil AZO 0W-30 is the most advance passenger car formulation Amsoil has. It's 10 times better than the previous fill of 5W-20 you had in there. Your engine will love you for it, no matter what temperature range you drive in.

46-062

Established Member
Amsoil AZO 0W-30 is the most advance passenger car formulation Amsoil has. It's 10 times better than the previous fill of 5W-20 you had in there. Your engine will love you for it, no matter what temperature range you drive in.

Ten times better? :eek: WOW!!!:lol:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

For a first oil change in a 2012 GT I you would normally want to use a warranty compliant oil that is a 5W-20 and an API-SN licensed oil.

The warranty compliant version of our 5W-20 is Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle).

During the warranty period we recommend following Ford's drain interval recommendations.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy,

Around these parts...people are too busy voiding their warranties with aftermarket tunes, headers, intakes, and superchargers. lol

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy,

Around these parts...people are too busy voiding their warranties with aftermarket tunes, headers, intakes, and superchargers. lol

True, his is pretty new though.

Once warranty compliance is no longer a concern a significant upgrade in performance and protection is available by using the Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle).

03dsgdreams

Established Member
The "5W" versus "0W" is cold flow characteristics only. Both lubricants are exactly the same viscosity at engine operating temperatures. You have no need to be nervous. Amsoil AZO 0W-30 is the most advance passenger car formulation Amsoil has. It's 10 times better than the previous fill of 5W-20 you had in there. Your engine will love you for it, no matter what temperature range you drive in.

Thanks. Whats with the royal purple guy? He says 5w20.. :??:

Users who are viewing this thread