First Legit Race in My '13 GT! (Hayabusa)

RunninHorse

Established Member
TL;DR: Walked a Busa!

I've had this car for about a year and a half, but haven't found a good race just cruising around. So I haven't really been able to test this car.

I was cruising down the highway and passed a motorcycle. Gave him a wave as I passed and he started following me. I don't know motorcycles, but I saw GSX 1300 R on the side of it. Along with a bunch of other stickers. It was LOUD, so I assume it was modified too.

I cruise around on wastegate pressure, which is about 12 psi. I've been taking my time getting used to that and never turned it up. When I saw we were going to line up I bumped it up to ~15psi. That's about 930/880 at the tire. I knew I was going to need it.

We tried to line up 3-4 times, but couldn't get the timing right. Then we finally had a good spot, we were both ready, and it was a clean start on the third honk from about 70. I expected him to jump out and I'd have to reel him in, but I was just steadily pulling ahead.

It was awesome! Felt good to finally test this car and get the win. It was one hell of a first "legit" race.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Awesome! Anytime u beat a 1000+ CC MC in a roll race ur shit is fast! Ur no where near 930 whp tho at 15 lbs. with a 76mm on E85.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Nice kill. When I first saw Hayabusa I was thinking this guy is full of it but you have the power to take down a bike. Well done!

RunninHorse

Established Member
Awesome! Anytime u beat a 1000+ CC MC in a roll race ur shit is fast! Ur no where near 930 whp tho at 15 lbs. with a 76mm on E85.

Not sure what you mean. 928 at 15.73 PSI is what the dyno (Dynojet, SAE smoothing 5) showed and there haven't been any changes. You think that's high or low? (AED tuned)

Nice kill. When I first saw Hayabusa I was thinking this guy is full of it but you have the power to take down a bike. Well done!

Thanks! Felt good to represent!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
So, you need to post your engine set up. Id like to hear whats done to the COYOTE. At a minimum id say you have a Gen 2 block but I bet its more than that :).

RunninHorse

Established Member
So, you need to post your engine set up. Id like to hear whats done to the COYOTE. At a minimum id say you have a Gen 2 block but I bet its more than that :).

Just an Aluminator crate (M-6007-A50NA) from Ford (built by Fonzie Novelo) with a CPR kit and supporting mods. No headwork. Stock intake, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_7872.JPG
    IMG_7872.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 92

RunninHorse

Established Member
Sick ass set up, congrats! That's a heavy hitter you took down. Crazy.
Thanks! I didn't even know it was a Busa until I got home and Googled it, lol.

I'm sure there are plenty of Busas out there that could take me to Gapplebees.

Edit: Thought it may have been a 2003 because it had a second seat behind the driver, but it looks like that was an option for other years too.

Last edited:

68gtscode

Established Member
Bad ass win! Were you on e85? You’re correct on the tail- the second seat is always there, just some have a cowling installed. The main thing that catches my eye between the 1st and 2nd generation hayabusas is the tail. The tail on the 2nd generation bikes curves down in the back, kind of wrapping around the rear tire a bit… Very ugh IMO. Either way, sounds like he at least had a slip on but likely more.

RunninHorse

Established Member
Bad ass win! Were you on e85? You’re correct on the tail- the second seat is always there, just some have a cowling installed. The main thing that catches my eye between the 1st and 2nd generation hayabusas is the tail. The tail on the 2nd generation bikes curves down in the back, kind of wrapping around the rear tire a bit… Very ugh IMO. Either way, sounds like he at least had a slip on but likely more.

Yes, I can only run on E85. I don't have a tune for pump gas. Something about it running too lean.

Thanks for the Busa lesson. I'm thinking it was a first gen. I don't recall seeing it wrap around the tire.

Wish I had my GoPro on. Would have been fun to watch it over and over, lol.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Haha, nice!
My engine isn't as fancy as yours though, but I'm a fan of the sleepy/stockish look. People overlook it at cars and coffee as they are just in a hurry to see more exotic cars.
BTW, that kit works at -14F, and in the snow in the mountains of Colorado with all seasons on stock wheels (expensive snow plow), but don't run real E-85 below freezing. Your injector duty cycle is like 400% of stock with 1050s lol. Swapped to 91 for the winter after one cold day after leaving work and it was running rough, alcohol was basically 2 continuous streams, one coming out of each of the exhaust tips. Hooked up the tuner and data logs explained why.
I had to have tunes for E85 and 91 as I'll drive it between Kansas and Colorado (over 1k miles round trip) if the weather is nice. While there is plenty of E85 in southern KS, there is not much along I-70 and into Colorado until you get near Denver or Colorado Springs. You just don't have the range, especially if the wind is blowing hard.
Good kill, playing with bikes is fun, though I've only messed with a few guys trying to show off 600s.

Last edited:

RunninHorse

Established Member
I like the stock look too. It’s one reason I picked this car. Aside from the GT500 rear valance it, and if they don’t notice the drag radials, mine looks stock.

I don’t plan to use this car in that type of Winter, but I can say it works well at 105F. Lol

I’ve been really impressed with this kit and I’m just scratching the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine went from garage queen to daily for 6 months 4x4 and truck prices (150/ranger) kept climbing past 20k up to near 30k with 100k+ miles and above so replacing it with another was going to be expensive. So I waited for spring and gave up, bought a E89 Z4 roadster as they were not going up as fast and it's damn comfortable with the adaptive suspension and sport seats. Unlike the mustang the seat heaters in a bmw will burn your ass lol. I can't really tell if they are on in the mustang. Thats my only real complaint about that car. The Mustang has One setting on/off and it's hard to tell it on without the light. The bmw has 3 settings, basically 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns, the computer controlled adaptive suspension feels fantastic on long drives as the mustangs suspension is basically all about performance rather than comfort, smooth roads are fantastic, but bad roads/ expansion joints would punch my kidneys.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RunninHorse

Established Member
I have a ‘93 325i parked in a field. It had so many problems and doesn’t run, so I just parked it and haven’t dealt with it yet. When it was running it was such a great car. Handled like it was glued to the road!

My GT has heated seats and I’d happily trade them for cooled seats.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Those CPR kits look awesome under the hood. When I first decided to go forced induction I seriously thought about these kits but the lead times were ridiculous. I love a clean engine bay and the CPR kits look perfect under there.

RunninHorse

Established Member
Yeah they look great. I didn't start out looking for a car with that kit, but after reading about them it was my top choice.

The original plan was to Coyote swap my '93 coupe. With $20k already in it, and a swap costing another $15k+, I just pressed the easy button. Haven't regretted it once. I guess I'm technically in the bought not built crowd, but I don't care. Through the years I've done just about every mod except build a transmission. That was all on NA pushrod engines though. I have a lot to learn about turbos and modular motors.

Users who are viewing this thread