First ever HPDE event for me at Roebling Road Raceway on 4/10/15!!

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I can't really put into words what that experience was like. My instincts definitely were fighting what my instructor told me to do and where to place my car. It was quite the ball check and physical/mental workout. We started a 9am (arrived at 7!!) and had a 20 minute session every hour until 5pm with a one hour lunch break. I truly got to experience what I've meant when I tell people "your car is definitely better than you just like it is" your first several sessions racing. I did pretty good, think I saw a little over 120 on the front straight. It's quite crazy feeling to continue accelerating all the way into the braking zone for turn one as you feel there's no way you have time to stop. My instructor happened to be my best friend from my Navy days, so he liked barking commands at me that I've never heard before, that made it even more challenging at such speeds with other cars crowding your mirrors at times. I found myself coming up on some others too.
It was through www.seat-time.com and I highly recommend them! I'll try to get my pics up soon.

noldevin

Established Member
I did a few of these last year, and it is by far the most fun you can possibly have in one of these cars. It's also great for learning the RIGHT way to handle your car in extreme situations. As you said, a lot of what your instructors say is totally ass-backwards to what we're used to thinking, and it's kinda scary once you realize that nearly everyone reacts the exact wrong way in a slide lol.

bullet3z

Established Member
Good to hear that you had fun. I am going to do at least 1 HPDE event this year for sure. I feel that it is money well spent. We have our first TrackCross event next weekend and am planning on doing that.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've been debating on trying HPDE, I've done it in supercars down in vegas and it is an insane amount of fun. As much as I love drag racing, HPDE is a lot more fun. So much going on, pushing your car and yourself to the limits.

Only thing that's holding me back now, I'll have a turbo on the car. Probably not ideal although it may be a good compromise for coming out of a turn alittle sooner wide open.

What's a good recommendation of stuff to have before you go? I would think some DOT 4 brake fluid, better brake setup, what else?

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Depending on the track you go to, you might not need to do anything. I flushed my fluid out with Volvo brake fluid with a 395 deg wet boiling point just for the sake of it, (I work at a Volvo dealer) but Roebling Road isn't hard on brakes. It's a pretty high speed track. If you have the $, it's a good idea to get a set of track wheels and tires. Quite a few folks were running Conti DWS's. I did an alignment at work and made sure it was right. My friend flushed his Boss's fluid once a year due to frequent track visits. What brakes do you have now? With the extra power, you might need an upgrade depending on how aggressively you accelerate between turns.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I did a few of these last year, and it is by far the most fun you can possibly have in one of these cars. It's also great for learning the RIGHT way to handle your car in extreme situations. As you said, a lot of what your instructors say is totally ass-backwards to what we're used to thinking, and it's kinda scary once you realize that nearly everyone reacts the exact wrong way in a slide lol.

Next to sex, I think it's about as much fun as you can have period:) I see you're in NJ, which track/club did you run?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Depending on the track you go to, you might not need to do anything. I flushed my fluid out with Volvo brake fluid with a 395 deg wet boiling point just for the sake of it, (I work at a Volvo dealer) but Roebling Road isn't hard on brakes. It's a pretty high speed track. If you have the $, it's a good idea to get a set of track wheels and tires. Quite a few folks were running Conti DWS's. I did an alignment at work and made sure it was right. My friend flushed his Boss's fluid once a year due to frequent track visits. What brakes do you have now? With the extra power, you might need an upgrade depending on how aggressively you accelerate between turns.

Right now, just factory non Brembo Brakes :(

I've been planning on upgrading to Brembo 4 piston, but I really want the 6 piston 15" rotor upgrade.

I was also thinking of grabbing some 19" wheels on the cheaper side and putting sticky tires on them for HPDE events.

And go from there, if it's something I like, I'd obviously get more involved. Watts link, coil overs etc... but I'd like to get just enough to go. Dot 4 brake fluid, and better pads just to start with, and tires.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Right now, just factory non Brembo Brakes :(

I've been planning on upgrading to Brembo 4 piston, but I really want the 6 piston 15" rotor upgrade.

I was also thinking of grabbing some 19" wheels on the cheaper side and putting sticky tires on them for HPDE events.

And go from there, if it's something I like, I'd obviously get more involved. Watts link, coil overs etc... but I'd like to get just enough to go. Dot 4 brake fluid, and better pads just to start with, and tires.

FYI, even the Brembo 4 piston setup with a good/dedicated set of track pads is likely more than enough for any HPDE needs. You'd be shocked at how well they can stop these cars. I'd also look at brake cooling as soon as your budget allows. Otherwise I'd leave it alone for a while or maybe just look for a dedicated set of wheels & tires for the track.

Users who are viewing this thread