Firearms in house

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I know I am a bit behind when it comes to firearm knowledge but I have been thinking it's getting time we get something to protect ourselves in our house and out and about. My wife and I did not grow up around guns and are very nervous when it comes to having one in the house due to having little ones running around who get into everything. There are places around here where they have classes to learn about shooting and the operations of a gun, we may be looking into that. Our biggest concern is safety, what do you all recommend as far as safes and education for both my wife and I and possibly the kids when they get old enough.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I know I am a bit behind when it comes to firearm knowledge but I have been thinking it's getting time we get something to protect ourselves in our house and out and about. My wife and I did not grow up around guns and are very nervous when it comes to having one in the house due to having little ones running around who get into everything. There are places around here where they have classes to learn about shooting and the operations of a gun, we may be looking into that. Our biggest concern is safety, what do you all recommend as far as safes and education for both my wife and I and possibly the kids when they get old enough.
Pistol = out and about
Shotgun = home defense

Treat them with respect, know the basic rules, and don't be afraid to ask questions and you will be safe and learn a lot. The big three rules are:
1 TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT'S LOADED.
2 NEVER POINT THE BARREL AT ANYTHING UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DESTROY IT.
3 NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD OR ON THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.
There are obviously more things to consider but these are the absolute minimum to always keep in mind.

Take a pistol training class and then the concealed carry class (some places offer a combined course).

Also take a shotgun class and/or go to range with an experienced shooter.

I right now don't have anyone under 18 under my roof so I don't have to worry about a safe or anything at this time.

The best gun (of any shape, size, or style) is whatever you shoot the best. Whatever you are comfortable with and can consistently put rounds on target with is your best gun.

Posts and likes are not mine.

Last edited:

ZiaRunner

Established Member
The last rule to go along with post above is
4 KNOW YOUR TARGETS BACKGROUND AND BEYOND.

Another firearm familiarization class is hunters safety usually offered by yours states game department. That will go over a firearm, muzzle control, safety and use etc.

You can use large safes, smaller biometric safes, trigger guard locks etc. Happy to hear you are the research on safety and security before diving in.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Gun safe. You can get a decent gun safe for a few hundred bucks. I keep all my shotguns and pistols in there except for the pistol in my nightstand in case some idiot tries to break in. I keep valuables in there too, like home deed, SSNs, etc.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Pistol = out and about
Shotgun = home defense

Treat them with respect, know the basic rules, and don't be afraid to ask questions and you will be safe and learn a lot. The big three rules are:
1 TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT'S LOADED.
2 NEVER POINT THE BARREL AT ANYTHING UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DESTROY IT.
3 NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD OR ON THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.
There are obviously more things to consider but these are the absolute minimum to always keep in mind.

Take a pistol training class and then the concealed carry class (some places offer a combined course).

Also take a shotgun class and/or go to range with an experienced shooter.

I right now don't have anyone under 18 under my roof so I don't have to worry about a safe or anything at this time.

The best gun (of any shape, size, or style) is whatever you shoot the best. Whatever you are comfortable with and can consistently put rounds on target with is your best gun.

Posts and likes are not mine.
Unfortunately the rules at my job do not allow weapons on the property, including the car. If I travel in the city with it in the car I could get fired. It kind of leaves me in a bad spot if I were to get a handgun. I am not sure if there are ways around that.

Honestly a good place to start is a hunter safety course
I will have to look into that, didn't know those existed.

The last rule to go along with post above is
4 KNOW YOUR TARGETS BACKGROUND AND BEYOND.

Another firearm familiarization class is hunters safety usually offered by yours states game department. That will go over a firearm, muzzle control, safety and use etc.

You can use large safes, smaller biometric safes, trigger guard locks etc. Happy to hear you are the research on safety and security before diving in.

That is a concern for me as well, especially for home defense. I am worried about something traveling outside the walls if something were to go down. A coworker mentioned something about trigger locks, they come with new hand guns. That seems like a good way to secure it from little ones. I have been researching for a while and trying to educate myself and the wife on this subject. It is a serious topic and something I don't take lightly. With all this mess going on across the country and in my capital city I am worried this is going to spill over to the small towns.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Gun safe. You can get a decent gun safe for a few hundred bucks. I keep all my shotguns and pistols in there except for the pistol in my nightstand in case some idiot tries to break in. I keep valuables in there too, like home deed, SSNs, etc.

I purchased the GunVault SV500 - SpeedVault handgun safe a few years ago and mounted it right to the side of my nightstand. I keep my full size M&P in it and can access the gun in seconds by hitting the code I set.
It definitely gives me peace of mind when the grandkids are visiting.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you worried about someone coming in the house while you're asleep a trigger lock and similar will make it basically worthless imho. I would have some kind of safe with a keypad (or maybe even one of those hidden cabinets requiring a magnet or RFID to open) for quick access to a loaded weapon.

the more you both practice with it, the more comfortable you'll get. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS verify the chamber is empty if you're gonna be cleaning, transporting etc... It doesn't matter if you drop the mag if there's one in the hole.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Here in PA the course was an absolute joke. Failure was not possible. I gained NOTHING from the course that I already didn't know or learned from others.
Wow that sucks...wasnt 30 years ago when I took it

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Most of anything I would say was covered by Boogie Man. I'd get a single weapon drawer safe with push buttons, not biometrics. Depending on the age of your kid you CAN keep you weapon Condition 3 because racking a round can be done quick but nearly impossible for a younger kid to accomplish. People will say Condition 3 is stupid but your call. You can rack a round quicker than you can get a weapon out of safe. The older they get the more likely they will be able to rack a round which would mean getting a safe. Practice can not be emphasized enough. I was an instructor in the Navy so friends from time to time ask me to teach them. I taught one guy the basics of safety, operation and lots of range time. Since then he and his wife are rather skilled and he is an instructor. He was so scared of them when we started, grew up in a liberal bubble. Just understand guns are deadly, but with training safe and enjoyable. Be careful, one gun will turn into 3 then a shotgun, then an AR and then many many of each. LOL. Maybe you should just pick out your Liberty 64 gun safe in advance ;)

Machdup1

Established Member
Buy Gock 19

Buy wall safe

Mount wall safe in closet (bolt to wall)

Put gun in safe until training complete. When at home, the gun stays locked in the safe.

Take intro to pistol class

Take basic shooting class

Take gun to range weekly and put 50-100 rounds down range. For a target, do not use man size/zombie target. Use the standard ring target at 7 yards. Continue this until you can shoot roughly a four inch group.

Complete the conceal carry requirements and receive your permit

Learn your states laws regarding the use of deadly force and follow those laws to the letter.

When you can be humble, reasonable and know when to run from a fight, then start carrying the gun.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Whose going to know its in your vehicle?
We all park in the same lot and everyone knows who has what car, small shop.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Most of anything I would say was covered by Boogie Man. I'd get a single weapon drawer safe with push buttons, not biometrics. Depending on the age of your kid you CAN keep you weapon Condition 3 because racking a round can be done quick but nearly impossible for a younger kid to accomplish. People will say Condition 3 is stupid but your call. You can rack a round quicker than you can get a weapon out of safe. The older they get the more likely they will be able to rack a round which would mean getting a safe. Practice can not be emphasized enough. I was an instructor in the Navy so friends from time to time ask me to teach them. I taught one guy the basics of safety, operation and lots of range time. Since then he and his wife are rather skilled and he is an instructor. He was so scared of them when we started, grew up in a liberal bubble. Just understand guns are deadly, but with training safe and enjoyable. Be careful, one gun will turn into 3 then a shotgun, then an AR and then many many of each. LOL. Maybe you should just pick out your Liberty 64 gun safe in advance ;)
Good info to digest, also I was warned by another co-worker that guns can be addictive. I don't have to worry because my budget doesn't allow me to do that.

jmsa540

Established Member
Why would you get fired if youre travelling in the city with your weapon in the vehicle?

Do you use employers vehicles during work?
Unfortunately the rules at my job do not allow weapons on the property, including the car. If I travel in the city with it in the car I could get fired. It kind of leaves me in a bad spot if I were to get a handgun. I am not sure if there are ways around that.

I will have to look into that, didn't know those existed.

That is a concern for me as well, especially for home defense. I am worried about something traveling outside the walls if something were to go down. A coworker mentioned something about trigger locks, they come with new hand guns. That seems like a good way to secure it from little ones. I have been researching for a while and trying to educate myself and the wife on this subject. It is a serious topic and something I don't take lightly. With all this mess going on across the country and in my capital city I am worried this is going to spill over to the small towns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread