Finishing detached garage

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
My detached garage is 22' x 18'8" with 10' ceilings. Completely unfinished other than epoxy floor.

An exterior wall of the garage is 28' from the main electrical box. It appears that only one measly 15 amp circuit is feeding the entire garage. Even if there is a second 15 amp circuit (which I haven't been able to locate) it's obviously going to need more power. What sort of electrical do you guys suggest I run?

There's also a natural gas line (currently used for a grill) 1' from the electrical box. Can I tap into this line and run gas to the garage?

I can handle all the insulation / sheetrock, etc. myself. I can do basic electrical work but any serious electrical, gas, or other technical install I'd hire out.

Mini split for heating and cooling? Something else?

I'd like to have a more comfortable work space the 8 months out of the year that the garage is either a 100 degree sweat box or a 15 degree freezer.

sleek98

Established Member
Decide on what you want to run all at once. Most garages will do fine on a 60 amp run. Less if your not going to run a welder.

I wouldn’t use a heat pump for the garage in Denver. Mine has a hard time keeping up in Kansas City and your likely colder than I am.

Check out garage journal if you want to lose a few days of your life. It’s awesome.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
What kind of service do you have in your house? I had a 200 amp so I put a 100 amp sub panel in my garage. If you only have a 100 amp put a 50 amp sub in the garage. You'll have to run a new power line from to the sub panel so while you're running the conduit add an extra one with a pull cord for later in case you want add cable or internet or??
As for the gas line it really depends on the load of your furnace, but I would be inclined to say no you can't tap off your grill line.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
200 amp service to the main box. There is already a 100 amp sub panel in the basement from when that was finished. Any welding I do is so infrequent I just rent a small one from HD for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread