Finished my home subwoofer/end table

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
It is a Tempest Exodus X2 15" 1000 watt sub with a Behringer Europower 1500 amp bridged into it pushing 1400 watts. I went on a guys word on hometheaterforum.com a while ago and purchased the equipment he recommended and built the enclosure to the specs he mentioned and can't believe the response from this thing. Needless to say, when movie time is done, I have to go around and readjust all pictures. I had a Cerwin Vega 300 watt 12" previously that wasn't cutting it anymore so I decided to upgrade.

The sub...
sub.jpg

sub1.jpg

The size of the enclosure, 5.2 cf^3...
sub6-1.jpg

The comparison, little bit bigger, lol
woofer13.jpg

woofer12.jpg

woofer.jpg

Transformation into an end table...
wrap4.jpg

leg4.jpg

end.jpg

The final product
IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
holy balls lmfao thats awesome

my ex wifes dad built his own as well, bought whole set though and designed everything, looked really really nice.

13RaceRed5.0

Established Member
Good work! Looks awesome. Wish I could hear what it sounded like during a movie. Does the lamp ever fall off from the vibrations haha

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I remove it for movie time, lol. This thing seriously is amazing, I honestly have never heard this amount of bass in a house, a car of course but a house shouldn't have this much bass. It shakes the concrete floor in the basement, the kitchen upstairs, etc.

Lets just say my neighbor whose house is about 30 feet away knows when I'm watching movies because he's mentioned not only can he hear it but occasionally during a good scene, his blinds will vibrate slightly. And this is during the winter when the windows are shut, lol.

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
Is that just a hollow box? No accustic treatments in the box at all? Looks great, how much did it all cost?

Coiled03

Established Member
That.
Is.
AWESOME!!

Did you put any gain controls, or a crossover on it?

TorchMach

Established Member
Put up a vid please! I know it won't do it justice but it would give us a idea. I would love to do this one day.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Is that just a hollow box? No accustic treatments in the box at all? Looks great, how much did it all cost?

It's a slotted port enclosure so I don't have any type of treatment inside. The sub/amp/filter cost me about $550 and another $100 roughly with wood and materials to make it look like an end table. The company I got the sub from went out of business, found out when I went to order and build another one, lol.

That.
Is.
AWESOME!!

Did you put any gain controls, or a crossover on it?

Yes, it has a low pass filter on it, the amp also has a gain control as well. Between that and my Harman Kardon receiver, it is easily tuned.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Very cool man! I definitely would have added some bracing in there, but whatever floats your boat. End product looks great. I've heard the Tempest and it's a beefy sub for sure.

What'd you tune it to and what x-over you using? What we found with the tempest is it didn't like to play too high. Anything over about 65hz and it didn't work that well, but a car is a different ballgame than home audio.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Very cool man! I definitely would have added some bracing in there, but whatever floats your boat. End product looks great. I've heard the Tempest and it's a beefy sub for sure.

What'd you tune it to and what x-over you using? What we found with the tempest is it didn't like to play too high. Anything over about 65hz and it didn't work that well, but a car is a different ballgame than home audio.

only 65hz? that leaves a gap in most HT systems...yuck

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member

It has bracing, I didn't put all the build pics up, just no accoustic stuffing or whatever it's called. Plus I used 1" MDF board so it's plenty durable, pre-drilled each and every hole so no splitting. It's tuned to 21 hz and I'm using a Reckhorn B-1 Bass Control.

I've played a couple bass CD's on it from back in the day, one is a competition song and offers 3 second intervals of each Hz range. The highs are actually really nice, the mid range (roughly 60-100hz) may not be the strongest but they are there as well, just not as dominant as the lows which movies are aimed towards. Unfortunately that's the give and take with subs.

Bracing and port pics...
woofer10.jpg

woofer4.jpg

woofer3.jpg

Holy crap. Where is the amp mounted?

It's a rack mounted amp that weighs about 30 lbs, it's a bit loud due to the internal cooling fan so I may move it behind the wall the tv is mounted on. It's just storage behind it so the only downfall is I'd have to walk behind to turn it on.

amp.gif

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If you are going to use Pro-Audio amps I would have used the Crown XLS series.

The 1000 would have been enough, adjustable digital crossover built in, etc..
Fan is quieter and only weighs about 8lbs.

the Peavey IPR series is great too.

Behringer is about the worst of entry level Pro Audio.

I have a brand newIPR 1600 I could have sold you fairly cheap.

I am looking now for a processor/new blue ray with individual outputs to use my whole Pro Audio system as a HT.

4 PV-112s for surrounds and center pushed by my 2 XLS-1000s
2 JBL 115 with 15" and horns for mids-highs L/R pushed by my XLS-2000
2 PV 118 subs (18"subs) pushed by my XLS-2500

If you want to go Pro-Audio or vintage I can help.
New HT stuff, not as much. lol
I also want to build a vintage system working with my La Scalas

yellow98stang

Established Member
Heck yeah! My Elemental Designs home theater sub just took a shit and so did the company. Not sure if it's just the plate amp, or if the amp took the woofer out with it... I'm debating what to do next.

Nice work!

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
If you are going to use Pro-Audio amps I would have used the Crown XLS series.

The 1000 would have been enough, adjustable digital crossover built in, etc..
Fan is quieter and only weighs about 8lbs.

the Peavey IPR series is great too.

Behringer is about the worst of entry level Pro Audio.

I have a brand newIPR 1600 I could have sold you fairly cheap.

I am looking now for a processor/new blue ray with individual outputs to use my whole Pro Audio system as a HT.

4 PV-112s for surrounds and center pushed by my 2 XLS-1000s
2 JBL 115 with 15" and horns for mids-highs L/R pushed by my XLS-2000
2 PV 118 subs (18"subs) pushed by my XLS-2500

If you want to go Pro-Audio or vintage I can help.
New HT stuff, not as much. lol
I also want to build a vintage system working with my La Scalas

I was on a budget when I did this and honestly have no complains about the Behringer minus the fan noise, I believe I paid $199 shipped for the amp new then which was half of what the Crown amps were. Like I said I went on this guys word from hometheaterforum.com and mentioned the Crown amps and I can't remember why or what the reasoning from steering me away from them was minus price is any but I couldn't thank this guy enough for his help. Kind of like the help we got on this site for our cars!

My next move probably in the next few weeks is a set of nice towers, I have Boston Acoustic Micro130's for the rear and love them, very crisp and clean and got them for $70 a piece. I'm currently running some Paradigm BP's up front and although they sound very natural, I don't like the bipolar design and don't have the right room for the accoustics. I may end up with some Polk Audio Monitor's or rti's soon.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Heck yeah! My Elemental Designs home theater sub just took a shit and so did the company. Not sure if it's just the plate amp, or if the amp took the woofer out with it... I'm debating what to do next.

Nice work!

If there is no noise coming out of the sub, it's probably the amp. You could take the sub out and just run speaker wire from a stereo receiver to it to see if it works also to troubleshoot. I looked into the SVS cylindrical subs which were about $600 which I heard are a great sub for the price but got an IM out of nowhere and this guy asked me if I was handy and had tools. I used to be a car audio guy so I told him if he meant build my own, I'm game! I can honestly say I'll never buy another prebuilt subwoofer again!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Oh, I understand the budget.

I do know you can buy the XLS1000 for 299 all day and sometime catch it for 269.
But you did fine.

I just find the crowns a little quieter and better built.
You could always change it later.

The Box/end table look great too.
Nice job.

yellow98stang

Established Member
If there is no noise coming out of the sub, it's probably the amp. You could take the sub out and just run speaker wire from a stereo receiver to it to see if it works also to troubleshoot. I looked into the SVS cylindrical subs which were about $600 which I heard are a great sub for the price but got an IM out of nowhere and this guy asked me if I was handy and had tools. I used to be a car audio guy so I told him if he meant build my own, I'm game! I can honestly say I'll never buy another prebuilt subwoofer again!

Yeah, I was going to get a voltmeter and test the sub, but haven't had a chance.

Also, I have a pair of RTi A7's and LOVE them. It's funny since my sub went out, the speakers do much better than I remember them doing on their own!

Users who are viewing this thread