finial brake-in hp... when?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
About how many miles to reach finial brake-in ponys? I only have a couple hundred miles and it feels good but not as much as what I'm read here. My 99 cobra felt almost the same upstairs but this thing got some balls down stairs unlike my 99 has. I'll just keep better the snot out of her.:rolleyes: Just curious if you guys experenced more ISP feel along the way through the mileage.:beer:

NastyWS6

Established Member
I would do one regular oil change around 1500 miles to get the factory crap out of there. then run it for around 2k or 2500 more miles before switching to mobil 1. Other's may disagree with me on that one.

Trader

Established Member
Ran it at the track with paper plates on it. I have driven the crap out of it ever since. Love this car. :D

Drove it like you stole it.

agof95

Established Member
I changed to Mobil 1 at 1,000 miles. That signified the end of my break in period.

I then moved on to breaking in the local f-bodies.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
My gas milage continued to improve until about 2500 miles. I suppose that was when everything was really broken-in. Or maybe I just calmed down a bit.:)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
Just thought it would have alittle more, ya know?

As stated already, the '03 is VERY deceptive in it's potency. My first drive in the cobra left me very surprised and confused, "This is what 400+HP feels like??" I quickly learned that I had been accustomed to the rough, quirky, rugged, clumsy HP of older mustangs, and it will take me some time to learn how to extract the full potential from this vehicle. It's more solid, civilized, subdued, and seductive than what I, and perhaps you, are accustomed to. But there's no doubt in my mind, this thing is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I've heard several people mirror the same feelings regarding the SOTP feel of these cars.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Thanks guys for the input, I have to have someone take me for a ride in my own car to feel the power, I think the boost drop after each fast shift is whats buging me with the SOTP feel area.:)

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I also say 2500 miles and she should be broken in pretty good. I waited for 500 miles till I got on her. Changed the oil at that time too. Then as the miles slowly went on...I slowly got on her alittle more each time and added mods and more mods too. Right now I have 1090 miles on her and after my last set of mods....hopfully before this weekend. My 03 will be pushing 20 to 23 lbs of boost and well over 500 rwh. Thats without the juice I also have. I have only used the juice in fourth gear for abit just to see how it feels and how the car takes it.

Dont kid yourself....your 03 is alot faster than that older one you had. Like someone said. They are very decieving. The older Cobra's were in the mid to high 13's and the 03's are in the mid high 12's. Depending on times...but thats almost 10 car lengths difference in the 1/4 mile. And if you notice the trap speeds of the 03....she comes on alot more up top than the previous model too.

Dont get me wrong...I love the earlier Cobra's too...they paved the way for our cars. And then soon enough...our cars will be shadowed by whatever SVT comes out with.

Wow...man did I go on and on...sorry.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Users who are viewing this thread