Find this Audiobook & I'll paypal you $50.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I'm trying to find an audiobook for this year's Christmas and so far have come up empty. The book is called "A Dark & Bloody Ground" and was published by Texas A&M (history dept. I believe). This book focuses upon the events leading up to the Battle of the Huertgen Forest in WWII where the 9th Infantry suffered heavy casualties in the midst of a leadership blunder. The trek into the dense forest virtually eliminated the Allies air & mechanical numerical superiority leaving the infantry as the only tool available. Thousands & thousands of Allied soldiers....our granddads, great uncles, etc....were killed or wounded in what turned out to be a debacle. Also it discusses a small village called Schmidt, near Aachen, where a young corporal earned a Purple Heart. Schmidt was of little strategic importance...just another village. According to the corporal, his company was fresh with replacements & at full strength when they were given the order to secure Schmidt. What they didn't know is that german armor was embedded in the hills above the town along with machine gun nests. Just when the GI's thought they had the village secured, the german armor basically brought it all down on top of them. 139 went in, 36 made it out.

You won't find that corporal's perspective in this audiobook. I know of this town and the goings-on of that day because that corporal who took a bullet pulling one of his brothers to safety lives an hour east of me in an assisted living retirement home. He goes to dialysis three days per week because his kidneys failed two years ago. The effects of renal failure & dialysis have all but completely claimed his eyesight to the point he can't see his television, much less read his hardback copy of this book again.

He is also my grandfather & the reason for so many of the good things in my life. When he was 81 years old in 2004, he first told me of Schmidt. 60 years after that day the memory still brought tears to his eyes.

I want to find this as an audiobook for him because he wants to reread the book but can't. I'd read & record it myself but I don't know how to compress into something that won't take three or four cassette tapes. Google search won't work. I've tried it & came up empty-handed. So hopefully you guys can come up with something on this one.

Thank you

TBGT

Last edited:

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Sounds cool but just read it into your computer and burn a few audio CD's. It sounds like you're pretty interested in it anyways.

s_x_i

Established Member
Bad news man, I don't think it exists as an audiobook. You'll probably have to make one yourself.

Here's the publisher's details... you can contact them and they will know for sure.

Texas A&M University Press

John H. Lindsey Building
Lewis Street
4354 TAMU
College Station, Texas 77843-4354

979-845-1436

If you call them, PLEASE don't mention the Sooners game from last week! :bash:

SupaNOVA

Is Not Amused.
Established Member
You buy the book and mail it to me. Then i'll call and read it to you, but it'll cost $75.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
You buy the book and mail it to me. Then i'll call and read it to you, but it'll cost $75.

Real Classy:bored:

To the OP:

Good luck on your search first and foremost. Second, tell your grandfather THANK YOU for his service, courage, and sacrifice!

Red94SVT

Established Member
could not find anything so far, all i found on google was this thread, bing came up with nothing either, and no torrent files that i could find, i will look around next time im in barns and noble...

Users who are viewing this thread