Finally scored some True Forged Hood vents!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The GT seats were bad enough, but to throw those in their "unicorn" car was kind of silly at the time. Not sure why they didnt just do Recaro's like the other flagships got. lol

Very cool cars though. I find myself missing my SN95 greatly compared to my GT500. I caught way more compliments in it!

Supposedly it was all about weight. The 5.8 and HD Tremec added weight, so they reduced weight in other areas including the manual cheap seats, the manual windows and the deletes (A/C, Radio and Rear Seat). Recaro's would have added to the build cost, at only 300 cars and all of the unique engineering and parts that went into that car, there was no money to be made, even at the original MSRP of just under $38K.

To get Recaro's, you had to pay just under $55K for a 2000 Cobra R, but unlike the 95 R-Model, which had IMSA, SCCA, NHRA and IHRA classes to qualify for racing, the 2000 Cobra R did not have a sanctioned racing class or classes, so it did not have a home in the racing world like the 93R and 95R did. The closest competition in 2000 was the Z06 Corvette and the V10 Viper, both of which were rated in the same 385HP range.

R

fullboogie

Established Member
Really looking forward to your before/after IAT1/IAT2 datalogs. Let me know if you need help posting them.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
nice video. finally had a chance to watch it lol.

yeah it definitely helps to remove the double sided tape. that just makes the frames sit higher. as you noticed, everything was designed with tight tolerances.

ive installed a few myself, including a set during a car show lol. obviously since i know what to do it takes me maybe 5 minutes. we always would put the internal plate in first, as you did, and then add the "snorkel" part next. that then holds the plate exactly where it needs to be. then add the mesh and top frame. i would just push the frame down and pop it into place. then the studs line up in the holes perfectly. no need to modify the hood at all. these wont move once properly tightened down.

oh, also, dont need to remove the hood liner. definitely easier for install video so we can see what you're doing but you dont need to remove it to do the install.

great video. ill send yours to people instead of my boring, way too long videos lol.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Thanks much Steve!
Yea the first time doing anything is usually a little painful. Lol.
Filming always makes it worse too.
I don’t run the hood liner. It’s been out for awhile while testing underhood temp evacuation.
Deff nice tight tolerances. I didn’t even think to do the snorkels second to hold the bottom plates in place.
Not sure if I will keep the grills under the hood or place them over eventually. Depends how much my ocd gets me

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Looks good! Question: I see you don't have the hood liner in your car. Did you remove it yourself? Just curious whether its worth doing or not, and what, if any benefits there are. Mine still has the liner.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Looks good! Question: I see you don't have the hood liner in your car. Did you remove it yourself? Just curious whether its worth doing or not, and what, if any benefits there are. Mine still has the liner.
I removed mine last summer when I was trying some different things to bring down underhood temps. IMHO those hood covers just smother the motor and do not aid in letting heat out and traps it in.
So I removed the cover first and the rubber seal at the back of the hood to let some more heat escape before I put these vents in. I will leave them out even with the vents in now just because its a little cleaner looking and more air out the better as it seems these bays do not seem to breathe all that well.

Technically I think they are there to melt the tabs and drop on the engine to put out a fire if you have one, but I cannot say if they are actually any value to that or not.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I took mine off when I installed them. Made it easier. Probably will leave it off for awhile. Don’t see the point of it as PMP suggested. By the time those clips melt and it drops down to smother your car/engine that is on fire, not sure there will be much left to smother..

in case of an engine fire, the hood blanket may just buy you enough time to pop your hood and remove your TF hood vents lol.

PM-Performance

Established Member
hahahahahaha, thats a good idea Steve. We all know we won't see a replacement in the forseable future so that may be reason enough to add it back in. haha

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
How can I get info and pricing on these ???

just shoot me a pm on what youre looking for. keep in mind i have a ton of people hitting me up wright now so im working my way through the PMs and shipping as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You’re back to making the hood vents, Steve?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah, okay. I remember him saying that awhile ago, but it sounded like he might be back to production.

Users who are viewing this thread