Finally ran into a Kitty Cat

SixPak

Established Member
Been curious how my car would stand up to one and finally got the chance.
Newer Hellcat, looked stock from what I could tell.

Cliff notes version, I got my ass waxed.

But not near as bad as I expected. For a N/A 5.0 I did better than I thought I would.
We found urselves with a section of open road, I tossed him a rev and he honked it off at about 60mph. It was a good hit and he immediately started pulling, then went up a gear and it was all over. By the time I was doing 125-130 he had about a car and a half on me. I actually thought it would be worse for me, but IMO it was a good death for the mods I have.
Later on the same day I rolled up behind a 5th gen SS camaro. Traffic cleared up in front of him and he nailed it. I followed pursuit and came up next to him and honked it off. I beat him solidly 3 for 3. Never any doubt about the outcomes. All I can say for sure is he had exhaust mods, but his car actually ran stronger than most of the 5th gens I have come upon.
Still waiting for another chance with a 6th gen camaro. Only ran one so far and beat him 2 for 2. Those cars are no slouch and from what I hear respond to mods quite well. The one I ran still had the dealer paper on it, so I don't put a whole lot of credence on that one. They just ain't selling enough of them.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Been curious how my car would stand up to one and finally got the chance.
Newer Hellcat, looked stock from what I could tell.

Cliff notes version, I got my ass waxed.

But not near as bad as I expected. For a N/A 5.0 I did better than I thought I would.
We found urselves with a section of open road, I tossed him a rev and he honked it off at about 60mph. It was a good hit and he immediately started pulling, then went up a gear and it was all over. By the time I was doing 125-130 he had about a car and a half on me. I actually thought it would be worse for me, but IMO it was a good death for the mods I have.
Later on the same day I rolled up behind a 5th gen SS camaro. Traffic cleared up in front of him and he nailed it. I followed pursuit and came up next to him and honked it off. I beat him solidly 3 for 3. Never any doubt about the outcomes. All I can say for sure is he had exhaust mods, but his car actually ran stronger than most of the 5th gens I have come upon.
Still waiting for another chance with a 6th gen camaro. Only ran one so far and beat him 2 for 2. Those cars are no slouch and from what I hear respond to mods quite well. The one I ran still had the dealer paper on it, so I don't put a whole lot of credence on that one. They just ain't selling enough of them.
Good kill the 5th gen is as expected . Not bad against the hellcat .

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice reports, Michael, and good to hear that you did better than expected against the Hellcat. They're definitely no slouch. Was the Hellcat an auto?

SixPak

Established Member
What are your mods OP, cat deletes and bama tune?

LOL! No. BAMA wouldn't get me there.. Mods in sig.

Nice reports, Michael, and good to hear that you did better than expected against the Hellcat. They're definitely no slouch. Was the Hellcat an auto?

Cannot say for certain but I believe it was. When his car upshifted it was very quick and smooth, and pulled immediately, not like a stick shift. We only got one pull in and then the Radar went off. Johnny Law was up around the next corner so we waved and I took the next exit.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What are your mods OP, cat deletes and bama tune?

I lol'd.

Just a bit...

Im just messing with you. I saw your mods and makes sense to me. Had to be a bad arse run. Too bad there is no video.

Based on his mods I don't see him hanging, but anything can happen. It should've been a felony. But I read he has cams, not sure what they'd be worth? maybe he had the black key?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I lol'd.

Based on his mods I don't see him hanging, but anything can happen. It should've been a felony. But I read he has cams, not sure what they'd be worth? maybe he had the black key?

Haha....

A properly set up cammed / bolt on / CJ 5.0 can do some damage man.

I even had a run against a hellcat (with my old 5g camaro) which essentially matched OP's encounter, with very similar results. Believe it or not.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Haha....

A properly set up cammed / bolt on / CJ 5.0 can do some damage man.

I even had a run against a hellcat (with my old 5g camaro) which essentially matched OP's encounter, with very similar results. Believe it or not.

black key. But one thing I've noticed if left in default mode it's fairly docile even for 707hp, redkey. To get the car to run aggressive it has to be in Sport or track mode. At the track I have my custom as sport traction, sport suspension, and track transmission. 10.90 @ 127. CAI and DR's only.
I'm not afraid of a bolt on 5.0, unless said bolt on is a turbo/supercharger.

SixPak

Established Member
I lol'd.

I had no delusions that I would take out the Cat, I just wanted to know how well I would hang. The cams I have are L&M intake only with 290 duration and stock lift, they are the ones Shaun @ AED helped develope. The motor spins a little higher with them and the trans shifts at 8k. They afford a much longer torque band which compliments the CJ manifold. The hell of it is I get more power and better gas mileage after I put the cams in. Can't beat that! LOL!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
gettn beat by a Hellcat by 1-2 car lengths is hardly getting ur ass waxed lol I was thinking 5-10 car lengths.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
let u know as soon as it all back together if I can beat the snow but to be honest by the time I get the car 2-3 weeks its gonna be too cold I'm afraid being in CT. old set-up trapped 145 mph on E85. new set-up I'm hoping traps 150 on 93 pump gas.

ill be hunting for a Hellcat or maybe ill get real lucky and find a Demon....:D

Me too. Well done OP.

What does your car trap?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
let u know as soon as it all back together if I can beat the snow but to be honest by the time I get the car 2-3 weeks its gonna be too cold I'm afraid being in CT. old set-up trapped 145 mph on E85. new set-up I'm hoping traps 150 on 93 pump gas.

ill be hunting for a Hellcat or maybe ill get real lucky and find a Demon....:D

pssshhh... I wasn't asking you. Your car will make a mockery of 99% of Hellcats out there. Your car is CPR if I remember right? Beast.

Was asking OP! lol

SixPak

Established Member
Last time at the track I went 11.8 @ 119. That was on 255/19 MT Street Comps. I had a hard time launching on them with the 4C Converter. They were getting glazed over and just wouldn't hook. I since have put some 275 Michelen Pilot SS on the back and they hook up way better. My best 60 with the street comps was 1.9, so I think I could shave a few off of that.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
He really should've pulled you much harder. I think the average trap is 125 stone stock. I trapped a little higher. If the HC driver left the vehicle in default mode it really is a pig for 700+ hp.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ha lol sorry wasn't sure if u were askn me or not. yea CPR kit with head/cam package. ill keep ya posted anyway lol

pssshhh... I wasn't asking you. Your car will make a mockery of 99% of Hellcats out there. Your car is CPR if I remember right? Beast.

Was asking OP! lol

Users who are viewing this thread