Finally pulled my eaton off...this is why you don't homeport sticky icky/helpmeJesus

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Well,
Finally got the balls to pull my "stock Eaton" off with the huge help of Zyborg last Saturday. i bought my steggy and other mods last year on deployment but kept getting set back on a lot of things. anyways, i pulled it and here she is...all dirty in all her home ported and half assed glory. there was an obvious leak on the underside of the hood but i could never tell if it was the snout or gasket. what is that hardened shit on it? i hit it with a butane torch and a screwdriver and it didn't come off. doesn't seem to affect the rotors but looks ugly as hell. you can see all the pits in the throttle body i pulled off and why you shouldn't home port and leave someone else to clean up your shitty mess. i know i bought it as a used car and "it comes with not knowing" but i think she's come a long way. enjoy! any input is appreciated.

i am replacing it with a steggy stage 4/ single blade accufab already in my garage.
IMG_3840_zps7deijiv9.jpg

IMG_3845_zpsi8av8dq5.jpg

IMG_3848_zpseod4gm9c.jpg

IMG_3847_zpsvwnwytzi.jpg

IMG_3881_zpssczi7sxq.jpg

IMG_3877_zpsdgiwsjgn.jpg

IMG_3875_zpsexqdedzb.jpg

IMG_3878_zpsaljbbgap.jpg

th_IMG_3879.MOV_zpsq3hivih7.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
That stuff is probably JB weld, its some what common for people to use it to fill the silencer holes. I bet it screamed.

I remember being at this exact stage several years ago about ready to install a stieg. Thankfully I decided to sell the stieg and go Twin Screw.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
yeah man it screamed loud come to think about it but also blew oil all over. i wish i had the dough for one, single income with a family....twin will have to wait for now.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Damn looks like a crap job. Congrats on your soon new found power.

thanks man, cleaned my cooler, bolts, and everything else. i'm debating filling the case with amsoil and getting her back up this week. the metal gaskets seem to be in good shape.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I still need to change the oil in my eaton I have the oil just have not got around to doing it. Keep us updated thanks for your service as well.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
:xpl:
Nothing wrong with home porting IF you have any sort of mechanical skill and/or common sense. That bad boy is ugly, I'm sure the new blower will be a huge step forward.

Don't want to worry you but if that was done by the vehicles original owner I'd start looking over everything I could. Looks like some one who had the balls to try things but not enough knowledge to do it properly.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I still need to change the oil in my eaton I have the oil just have not got around to doing it. Keep us updated thanks for your service as well.
no problem on the service!
i need new sc oil, i actually know an amsoil dealer so at $9 a qt i may fill my supercharger with it. 1 qt should be enough right? any idea on weight? i was going to use mobil 1 but at $9 i might as well try it.

:xpl:
Nothing wrong with home porting IF you have any sort of mechanical skill and/or common sense. That bad boy is ugly, I'm sure the new blower will be a huge step forward.

Don't want to worry you but if that was done by the vehicles original owner I'd start looking over everything I could. Looks like some one who had the balls to try things but not enough knowledge to do it properly.
yeah that was a really bad job. there ended up being a problem i found out later by tracking down the prev owner on here. i was surprised the compression test came back good to go. the gasket seems ok to use and i just hit my bolts with broke cleaner and they seem to be ok. i may reuse the stuff or buy another gasket from eBay, not sure yet

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
I don't advise re using the hardware for the intercooler or the sc-lower intake. They are super easy to break new let alone after they have been stressed already

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
cool beans, guess i need to hit a hardware store. i went to one that i usually go to and they said they don't have the bolts with the flange part attached, just bolts and washers with size 10 head to fit. they advised me to get the proper bolts since its for a supercharger.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I used 12.9 DIN 9 hex screws with washers for IC to SC. I re-used the lower intake bolts since if they break won't go through the engine. I wouldn't recommend it though, broke one came out easy but still not worth it.

Dont recommend stainless steel, some do it but in general SS into aluminum isn't the best idea.

cj428mach

Established Member
Put new intercooler bolts in, but I think almost everyone reuses blower to intake bolts, and intake to head bolts.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Oh ok that makes sense as they were on pretty damn tight on the cooler. I will try to get those today. I hit all of them with brake cleaner and tooth brush to get all the gunk off. I was advised to use locktite on the cooler to blower before i tighten it back down as well. The metal gasket seems to be in good shape still so i guess i will try and reuse it. I use 5w20 amsoil for the blower or should i go with GM sc oil? I used mobil 1 for the blower and it seemed to be ok considering i had a leak somewhere lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Oh ok that makes sense as they were on pretty damn tight on the cooler. I will try to get those today. I hit all of them with brake cleaner and tooth brush to get all the gunk off. I was advised to use locktite on the cooler to blower before i tighten it back down as well. The metal gasket seems to be in good shape still so i guess i will try and reuse it. I use 5w20 amsoil for the blower or should i go with GM sc oil? I used mobil 1 for the blower and it seemed to be ok considering i had a leak somewhere lol

I've reused the metal gasket but I always put some sealer on it just to be safe (silicone or gasket tack). I have a friend that reused the one on his car with no sealer but he has a pretty decent O2 split so it might be leaking from there or the manifold to head gasket.

On my car for the bolts I just torqued them to spec but didn't do the angle twist it has worked for me probably 1/2 dozen times.

As for oil I've only ever used the GM supercharger oil. I'm sure others would work but to me it wasn't worth finding out.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
On the weight I'm not sure PM POSI. I bought the Ford oil it was a little pricy the GM oil works as well.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I always use grade 8 intercooler bolts with red locktite. They go in with very little torque but you'll be happy they're grade 8 when you go to remove them later and they don't just snap off in place.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I always use grade 8 intercooler bolts with red locktite. They go in with very little torque but you'll be happy they're grade 8 when you go to remove them later and they don't just snap off in place.

I agree with red locktite, about the only thing I use red on. If I need to swap blower again I rather deal with that than have the engine eat one of them.

I don't know if you can find "Grade 8" per se since grade 8 is a standard fastener property rating and they are metric. 10.9 is the Metric equivalent of Grade 8, not to be confuse with 8.8 which is the metric equivalent of Grade 5. I know I'm being pedantic, but just figured I'd add it so you not running around looking for "Grade 8" metric bolts which your not going to find.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I agree with red locktite, about the only thing I use red on. If I need to swap blower again I rather deal with that than have the engine eat one of them.

I don't know if you can find "Grade 8" per se since grade 8 is a standard fastener property rating and they are metric. 10.9 is the Metric equivalent of Grade 8, not to be confuse with 8.8 which is the metric equivalent of Grade 5. I know I'm being pedantic, but just figured I'd add it so you not running around looking for "Grade 8" metric bolts which your not going to find.

Grade 8 would be the 10.9 rating in metric I believe. I still have spare intercooler bolts laying around and I checked them quick and they are 8.8 which is grade 5 equivalent. Still more than double the yield strength of a standard bolt although not as good as a grade 8. My mistake, my point is don't use a standard bolt, they're so tiny they will snap when removed if not very careful. I've had to use heat in the past to remove standard bolts that were very tight. Use a hardened one. I could have sworn in the past I've had 10.9 bolts but maybe they don't make them this small. The ones I have on the car now are 8.8 and the ones I just pulled off were 8.8 as well actually (still have them laying in the garage) and never snapped one of those.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yup, more than enough wasn't making a big deal of it. Just pointing it out so if OP Googled Grade 8 or looking in the store for it there was no confusion.

It's hard to find 10.9 that size, you can get DIN 9 just about anywhere which is 12.9 but then you have to live with internal hex head cap screws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread