Finally pulled my eaton off...this is why you don't homeport sticky icky/helpmeJesus

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You are in California right? Plugging the PCV probably isn't an option for you. That's the only way to keep the intercooler totally clean. I had a catch can and the pre filters and my intercooler was still gunked up.

Yup and I even sprayed water/meth.... lots of it and mine still gunked up like mad. I was hoping spraying gallons of w/m though there over time would clean it but no such luck. The only way to keep it clean is to completely eliminate the PCV and the oil getting in there in the first place.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
When I had mine off I plugged the intake (3/8 I believe) nice to not wonder if there is a leak under there. Then I ran both valve covers to a puke can with a breather. Keeps the oil out, but in certain situations you get the smell of hot oil.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Then I ran both valve covers to a puke can with a breather. Keeps the oil out, but in certain situations you get the smell of hot oil.

I noticed a lot of that smell is un burnt gas or possibly even burnt gas... not sure. All I know is when I swapped my old turbo honda from pump gas to E85 the catch can smell almost went away. It turned into a sweet smelling smell that you didn't hardly notice anymore. That's when I realized its more than just oil you're smelling in the catch can, it's also the byproduct of combustion.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Ha! So it's your Steggy that is here at the shop! Always good to put a face to a screen name.

-Tim
yup thats me! waiting for the wife to get home with my steggy...oh yeah and my kiddos too lol

When I had mine off I plugged the intake (3/8 I believe) nice to not wonder if there is a leak under there. Then I ran both valve covers to a puke can with a breather. Keeps the oil out, but in certain situations you get the smell of hot oil.
booo

stangfreak

Established Member
From you local GM dealership I take it? Does it have a more specific name or do I just ask for some supercharger oil?

I spoke to dustin whipple himself and he told me to use the GM s/c oil. I have been using that oil for years. I got 5 bottles in my garage

stangfreak

Established Member
Ported eatons are cool. If you really really are tight on money fine. But with all these options we have, especially the TVS, I would skip and just get a upgraded blower. we all did the ported eaton years ago but we never had all these options now. I still remember brian who did the apten ported eatons. I would go TVS

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i just got my steggy back from Tim.....very happy with it and very excited to install it! thanks Tim!
I am glad i spent the money and found the red 2.76 and hub....little pricey but was def. worth it

FullSizeRender-5_zpsnd89loof.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Ported eatons are cool. If you really really are tight on money fine. But with all these options we have, especially the TVS, I would skip and just get a upgraded blower. we all did the ported eaton years ago but we never had all these options now. I still remember brian who did the apten ported eatons. I would go TVS

$1800 for a lexus tranny rebuild :/

cj428mach

Established Member
I think unless your old setup wasn't pullied you're going to see minimal gains. The other blower while not ported to perfection was probably giving you a little more power. Ported blowers only add 40-50hp over a stock one anyways.

You could probably have sold the home port, + the stieg and been pretty close to used twin screw territory.

I do find it funny stangfreak is telling you to go with a bigger blower though since he always says his biggest mistake was not staying with the stock eaton, :p

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I think unless your old setup wasn't pullied you're going to see minimal gains. The other blower while not ported to perfection was probably giving you a little more power. Ported blowers only add 40-50hp over a stock one anyways.

You could probably have sold the home port, + the stieg and been pretty close to used twin screw territory.

I do find it funny stangfreak is telling you to go with a bigger blower though since he always says his biggest mistake was not staying with the stock eaton, :p

I realize its minimal gains and i really wanted to go whipple but its literally been one thing after another. We paid $650 for a home ac compressor that went out, have to cough up another $1800 for the lexus, and we are a family of 4 on a decent income. Just no way at this point to afford it, i love my car but not that much. i would rather be excited about switching to a good running setup and doing it right than keep running that crappy one with oil all over my motor.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I realize its minimal gains and i really wanted to go whipple but its literally been one thing after another. We paid $650 for a home ac compressor that went out, have to cough up another $1800 for the lexus, and we are a family of 4 on a decent income. Just no way at this point to afford it, i love my car but not that much. i would rather be excited about switching to a good running setup and doing it right than keep running that crappy one with oil all over my motor.

All in good time man. Family first, the toys will follow soon enough.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thought I'd post this for others since we were talking supercharger oil. Found a link on Ebay which turned out to be LFP and they have XL4 (Ford's part #) supercharger oil for $9.75 a bottle plus free shipping. You need two 4 oz bottles from what I've been reading. My local Ford dealer wanted $25 a bottle plus tax.
I called LFP and they said it's the same exact oil just not branded with Ford's name. So there you go for anyone looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LFP-XL4-Tan...112-/261880254067?hash=item3cf9478e73&vxp=mtr

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The GM sc oil is basically Ford sc oil in a cheaper bottle. Looking good op.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Thought I'd post this for others since we were talking supercharger oil. Found a link on Ebay which turned out to be LFP and they have XL4 (Ford's part #) supercharger oil for $9.75 a bottle plus free shipping. You need two 4 oz bottles from what I've been reading. My local Ford dealer wanted $25 a bottle plus tax.
I called LFP and they said it's the same exact oil just not branded with Ford's name. So there you go for anyone looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LFP-XL4-Tan...112-/261880254067?hash=item3cf9478e73&vxp=mtr

$25 a bottle?! That's criminal :(

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I just drained and filled mine but only used like 6ozs and it started pouring out of the hole.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I just drained and filled mine but only used like 6ozs and it started pouring out of the hole.

i had the blower and went ahead and just turned it on its side and drained the old oil into the oil pan lol no pain in the ass today. oil smelled like shit, like transmission fluid, glad i got that shit out.

Users who are viewing this thread