Finally "modded" my truck

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've managed to leave my truck stock since I bought it in 2015. Recently I read a post where someone mentioned the disaster kits for the 6.7's. I looked into them and naturally I started thinking I need to do this. I ended up ordering the S&S Diesel kit from someone on Amazon. It's a pretty nice kit. I didn't have to cut anything. Everything popped into place with stock fittings. It took about 4 hours start to finish. But I'm sure someone that knows these trucks can cut that way down. This was my first time getting this deep into a diesel. Thankfully my metering valve was clean so the pump is good so far. I like how the kit has a filter on the return line so I can watch for particles.
730f83cdd1fa26ebfc98c6a13d264a28.jpg
b37833a24bbc40613a0e5994bfffc3e8.jpg
2cf990b398e20dda2ba68e0daf515a96.jpg
d4ce190acc5cf6f2336882fd2e2842a1.jpg
30706da5a1f0abc94bab5008034f6d28.jpg

red351wcobra

Established Member
I've been looking at this kit. Looks like it really is a clean and straight forward install. Keep us posted on how it holds up.

jayk17

Established Member
Awesome mod. Keep us posted. I'm curious if it is really worth getting.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Looks cool Bob. What is it/what does it do LOL.

Fuel filtration system or something?
The high pressure pump is known to eat itself in these engines apparently. When it does that it sends the metal back to the fuel tank which then makes it's way through the fuel system. When that happens everything from the tank to injectors needs to be replaced. Which I was told is about $8,000 just in parts.

This set up will keep the metal out of the rest of the system. The third filter is in the return line so the metal won't make it back to the tank. If that happens I'll probably have to change the lines for the kit, but I'm ok with that.

96dreamer

Established Member
I need to do this and cab mounts on my 15. $1100 on rubber and filters just isn't too exciting though. Did you look into doing the exergy metering valve while you had it apart or did you decide that this kit eliminates the need for it?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I need to do this and cab mounts on my 15. $1100 on rubber and filters just isn't too exciting though. Did you look into doing the exergy metering valve while you had it apart or did you decide that this kit eliminates the need for it?
To be honest I didn't even know about that valve until just now. After reading up on it I don't think it's needed with this kit. This kit redirects the inlet to get fuel straight from the filters. The metering valve might be another layer of safety, but I think the stock filters will be enough.

I know what you mean though. I need to look into bed mounts as my bed hasn't lined up right since I went off reading a couple years ago and had to crawl over a big ass rock.

Users who are viewing this thread