Finally installed wideband. Is 10.8 too rich?

TP03

Established Member
So I've had my car for close to a year now and drove around AFR blind. In February i purchased a PLX Dm-6 wideband and finally got around to installing it. The idle/crusing numbers seem good from what research I've done, at 14.5 - 14.7. The WOT numbers are 10.8 - 11.2 which seem a bit rich. Car runs really good. What are some thoughts? Do I need to worry?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's richer than I aim for. But I've seen other guys with similar numbers. If it's running fine I wouldn't really worry about it. But that's me.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I'm at 12.3...on c16 so a bit of a margin.

What is done to your car? 10.8 is way richer than I'd run it on pump, a full point off. It sounds like a good time to just add a 100 dry shot.

cj428mach

Established Member
11.5 is a safe number, I personally wouldn't want to see any leaner than a 12.0 especially if you're on gasoline.

TP03

Established Member
I'm at 12.3...on c16 so a bit of a margin.

What is done to your car? 10.8 is way richer than I'd run it on pump, a full point off. It sounds like a good time to just add a 100 dry shot.

I'm running 2.76 upper only with JLT CAI and kooks LT, kooks catted mid, slp catback. I haven't tuned it since i purchased it but i believe it has a Amazon email tune. The 2.80 pulley that I removed had "Amazon tuning" stamped into it. I swapped to a billetflow 2.76 for cosmetic reasons. Now I'm kinda leaning towards a VMP email tune??? Hoping to get the WOT AFR closer to 11.6.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I would aim for 11.8. I don't think you are in the too rich to be unsafe category at 10.8, but you are definitely nowhere near optimal.

TP03

Established Member
I would aim for 11.8. I don't think you are in the too rich to be unsafe category at 10.8, but you are definitely nowhere near optimal.

That's good to hear, time to learn how to remote tune I guess. Thanks all for the input.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Or get the software and tune it yourself. You have a pretty mild set up. It wouldn't be hard to tune.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

TP03

Established Member
Or get the software and tune it yourself. You have a pretty mild set up. It wouldn't be hard to tune.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

I've actually considered doing this but I'm too chicken. Funny part is I do a lot of industrial PLC programming at work everyday but I have a lot classes and time invested in learning that. I've screwed things up pretty bad before when "learning" how to program but at the end of the day I punched out and tried again the next day without having to flip the bill.
Using my car as a learning tool just isn't something I'm comfortable with. I think I'll leave that to someone with experience from screwing up on their own stuff years ago.

Bingo, Justin nailed mine with 23* timing, but as mentioned it's a upper eaton only car.
I didn't realize you had a VMP tune. That makes my decision even more warm and fuzzy.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've actually considered doing this but I'm too chicken. Funny part is I do a lot of industrial PLC programming at work everyday but I have a lot classes and time invested in learning that. I've screwed things up pretty bad before when "learning" how to program but at the end of the day I punched out and tried again the next day without having to flip the bill.
Using my car as a learning tool just isn't something I'm comfortable with. I think I'll leave that to someone with experience from screwing up on their own stuff years ago.

I didn't realize you had a VMP tune. That makes my decision even more warm and fuzzy.
3 logs later, he had to keep adding fuel and once he was happy added more timing. What I like is he left some parameters open, so I can change fuel, timing and fan settings.

cj428mach

Established Member
If you buy Binary Editor software you can pull your existing tune off and modify it. This will work great if you're pretty happy with the existing tune and just want to start tweaking around the edges.

www.coretuning.net

Last edited:

TP03

Established Member
If you buy Binary Editor software you can pull your existing tune off and modify it. This will work great if you're pretty happy with the exist tune and just want to start tweaking around the edges.

www.coretuning.net

Oh man... checked out that link and that is cool stuff. I'm seriously considering going this route. Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
Email the guys at Core and talk to them, they're very friendly and helpful.

I originally bought BE software before it was Coretuning, when I went to buy the newest version for my Terminator the guys at Coretuning still wanted to talk to me about the product before purchasing. That way they could tell me what had changed, what to expect, and sell me exactly what I needed. They even tried to get me to not to buy another quarterhorse chip and just swap mine between vehicles to save money. I ended up buying a second one just to save the hassle of swapping, but it shows they're a good group of guys over there.

The BE package with the Mongoose cable is the equivalent of SCT's Proracer package, if you add the quarterhorse it becomes the quickest/easiest way to self tune.

Also as a bonus you can sell your old handheld. You pull the existing tune off the ecm with BE, then return your car to stock and unmarry the SCT handheld. Then after you've tweaked your tune you can reload the modified tune and with the mongoose cable and you don't ever need the handheld again.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
So if the car was tuned with PRP I can pull that tune off with that software and edit it? 100% positive? I will go this route as well if that's the case.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Keep in mind some of the Widebands on the market can be off in regards to AF accuracy. What your really want to do is put it on the dyno and lean it out until it stops making power then richen it up a tad for your final tune. Don't get too greedy with AF and timing and you motor will last. Get greedy with boost, AF or timing, make a couple of high speed runs get ready to open your wallet and your toolbox.

cj428mach

Established Member
So if the car was tuned with PRP I can pull that tune off with that software and edit it? 100% positive? I will go this route as well if that's the case.

Yep should be able to, feel free to call them up and ask them. I've used BE software to pull the tune off my Cobra using a Quarterhorse chip, I've also used BE with a Mongoose cable to pull the tune off an 05 GT Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread