Finally I own a Cobra - a Project to get it back on the road

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Post a pic of the engine with the wrinkle blue covers on. You tackle every challenge head on!

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
current state, replaced the running pony with the Cobra in the grill

60535B67-0477-489C-9844-E5110E9C8120.jpeg
7E173FDF-2CEF-4DC8-8311-0C45331C85CF.jpeg

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Post a pic of the engine with the wrinkle blue covers on. You tackle every challenge head on!

here it is. Still waiting for the custom covers.

Attachments

• 23BDB3A3-84C0-4296-B069-F6211B84D04C.jpeg
    23BDB3A3-84C0-4296-B069-F6211B84D04C.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 793AC58C-0D1F-409A-8117-6284AA2D798C.jpeg
    793AC58C-0D1F-409A-8117-6284AA2D798C.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 100

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
The Cobra has been up and running for a while now but has not been driven much, too much work and bad weather.
Also still trying to figure out a misfire that happens every 250-350 kilometers only, but it is always P0306.
The engine is fine, plugs are new.
Last time it happend I was very low on gas, but I doubt there is a link to it.
The only thing left "old" are the coil packs, plug wires and injectors. Moving them around the code didn't move, always P0306.

I already have a set of COP valve covers installed (which stopped the leaking) and I hate that my custom coil covers don't really fit over the stock coils on the valve covers. So I have a set of the coil plugs and correct covers for it sitting here and therefore I would like to get a COP conversion harness to try if it makes a difference, anyone know where I can get one?
I have given up on contacting "The Red Monster", he hasn't been on the forums since almost a year. No luck on Ebay or Email either.

Only other thing to mention, the previous owner installed a huge stereo system, no idea if that draws on anything that it shouldn't. I have no clue about stereos. Battery is new.

I will just keep driving it, feels good and makes good power for a stock car.
But it is annoying that I can't figure out what is causing this one code every now and then.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It sounds like you need to chase wires. It might be something loose at the ECU side of things. Does it have a shift light?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
it doesn't have one now, but wouldn't surprise me if it had one at a time, also had gauges installed at one point instead of the clock. Good idea to look at the ECU wiring, thanks for the tip.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
one other thing I wonder on a completely different topic, does anyone know if I can fit aerocatch hoodpins to a original Ford Racing/HO Fibertrends 95 Cobra R hood?

The hood scares me on the German Autobahn.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't see why you couldn't use the Aerocatch pins. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple around here.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
well, did not have the time to chase wires yet but I can narrow the code down to only happen at idle. And it does not always idle smoothly all the time so there seems to be a valid reason for the code. Still wonder why always only P0306.

The more I drive the more issues I still find though, driver side seatbelt gets stuck or blocked on the upper mounting point, seems to have been taken apart and reassembled wrong in the past (makes me wonder what else the previous owners have done to the car).

Something around my clutch is singing like a bird at low rpms, stops at 1800 and higher. The Rockauto/Sachs clutch I bought has been a waste of money. While it is much smoother to clutch than with whatever aftermarket clutch was installed before, it is not holding up well to shifts above 4500.
And I should have replaced the flywheel at the same, left the old one in after receiving the wrong one from Rockauto.

Any recommendations where to get a stock flywheel and clutch?
Or suggestions on stock like flywheel and clutch combinations?
Will anything newer fit like 99-01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach 1?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
As long as you get an 8 bolt flywheel you'll be good. The stock 8 bolt flywheel out of my 01 Cobra ended up in my son's 99 GT that had the wrong shortblock. I ran a Valeo clutch behind my big bore set up with no issues.

Too bad shipping would be killer. I have a couple spare flywheels I could let go.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
well after many years of not being driven and then me having to fix many things first the Cobra finally passed inspection today without any issues. Inspection can be a nightmare here but the guy loved the Cobra and was cool. Just need to adjust the headlights.
If only it would always be so easy

IMG_1428.jpeg

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
well before going through removing the transmission again and that in the middle of summer when I want to drive the car I ordered the UPR firewall adjuster and Ford Performance adjustable clutch cable kit with double hook quadrant. Maybe I can get by for a couple of months with just adjusting the clutch and then renew everything during winter.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
A couple of weeks later - installed a bunch of items:
McLeod Street Pro clutch
McLeod steel flywheel
new clutchfork
new pivotstud
new pilot bearing
new throwout bearing
FP clutch quadrant
FP adjustable clutch cable
UPR firewall adjuster
Now the shifts feel smooth, the clutch engages nicely, no more missing gears, no more whining.
Clutch pedal feels heavier than my McLeod RXT in the racecar but figured an RXT would be overkill for the stock Cobra. I'll get used to it eventually.

Also installed a new single DIN radio with the radio bezel that used to be in the car and white face a/c control plate with blue LEDs. Love how this turned out in comparison to the old double din JVC unit that was so annoying to use.
IMG_1703.jpeg

Winter will need to bring a rear end rebuild and maybe a new driveshaft as going faster than 190kph starts a bunch of vibrations and noises coming from the rear that are scary and force me to slow down.

One day she's going to be perfect again, attacking one bit at the time.
The wishlist is long, LOL!

Only thing sticking around is P0306 sometimes at idle, I have given up on that one.

freebird50

Established Member
the previous owner had a KB supercharger on it, car ran until he started to take it apart for a first analysis. Low compression on some cylinders. Apparently it kept blowing valve cover gaskets under boost. He had too many projects and let this one go to a good home.

I just want it back up running without supercharger, so if anyone wants a KB, let me know.
I wish I could find a ready to drop in shortblock to get it back up running quickly.
Take your time and build the motor for boost and do a vortech or procharger. Without that your only looking at a little over 300hp which isn't much. Up to you but that's what I'd do. These cars run very hard with even just a small amount of boost.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Take your time and build the motor for boost and do a vortech or procharger. Without that your only looking at a little over 300hp which isn't much. Up to you but that's what I'd do. These cars run very hard with even just a small amount of boost.

not wanting to supercharge the Cobra, first of all it would no longer be street legal and second I have a supercharged S550, that one is fast enough.
The Cobra is just a nice quick cruiser, 300hp is enough for that.

freebird50

Established Member
not wanting to supercharge the Cobra, first of all it would no longer be street legal and second I have a supercharged S550, that one is fast enough.
The Cobra is just a nice quick cruiser, 300hp is enough for that.
Vortech makes a 50 state legal blower kit. To each their own. Cobra and cruising don't go together. My opinion.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Vortech makes a 50 state legal blower kit. To each their own. Cobra and cruising don't go together. My opinion.
I'm in Europe, 50 state legal doesn't count.
And 300hp is plenty to go well above 200kph on the German Autobahn.
I didn't want to go through the hassle of building another car after my 03 and my 17, this is why the Cobra and the Foxbodies stay moderately modded.

freebird50

Established Member
I'm in Europe, 50 state legal doesn't count.
And 300hp is plenty to go well above 200kph on the German Autobahn.
I didn't want to go through the hassle of building another car after my 03 and my 17, this is why the Cobra and the Foxbodies stay moderately modded.
Europe blows for modding mustangs I feel bad for you. Super high taxes and tons of rules and no parts available. I get it. Plus the gas there costs way more too.

Users who are viewing this thread