FINALLY got the Cobra back where it belongs among the cones :)

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
It's been almost 2 years since I've run my own car at an autocross because of a whole host of issues (lack of money, tires that were shot, broken shit, etc...) but this last weekend was the first event of our South Jersey SCCA season at out new site which is an abandoned airport near AC.

In between running the event and instructing which is what I've been doing for the past 2 years, I snuck a few non competition runs in to check out the Eaton posi diff that just went in along with new LCA's and longtubes. The diff felt AMAZING, big difference coming out of corners, the LCA's were solid as hell, and the longtubes were SCREAMING although I was getting this strange chirping noise every once in a while from them when putting the hammer down coming out of corners.

Enough talk, on with the video :)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6d8aea8tM&"]‪7/31/2011 South Jersey SCCA Autocross‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

A few pictures from the event...

185433_10150736752200494_900355493_20090073_5603601_n.jpg

189298_10150736757875494_900355493_20090140_5274254_n.jpg

284183_10150736742785494_900355493_20089972_5254275_n.jpg

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
NICE!!!!!!!! Car sounds freaking awesome bro. I am glad to hear you like the eaton diff. I think I may do that and some 3.73s this winter. Although now you got me wanting long tubes. Looks like the new venue is working out for you guys. If you are going to run into Oct. I may try and come up and run with you.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Thanks man, to be honest though I'm not %100 sold on the longtubes yet. The install is absolutely awful, they rub even with my big ass vert x brace, the fact that you can't get the trans past them is really shitty, and they make some really odd noises sometimes (rattling when decelerating, valve train tapping is much louder, indescribably weird noise at idle). You can hear the weird idle noise here... http://www.ciottiindustries.com/audio/Cobra/BBK Longtubes/Warm start and idle.mp3

They do sound great when I'm flogging the car and they're definitely quieter when I'm just cruising, here's a link to before and after's of the ruckus they make... Index of /audio/Cobra

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Did you get a tune? It almost sounds like the car is trying to figure it self out and keeps re-adjusting to maintain idle. Ill be that some of the idle stuff could be cleared up with a tune.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
No tune yet, I didn't even think of that, you may be on to something there. That noise is actually the least of my worries, the rattling on decel and valve trail tapping are the things that I'm currently OCD'ing over.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
No tune yet, I didn't even think of that, you may be on to something there. That noise is actually the least of my worries, the rattling on decel and valve trail tapping are the things that I'm currently OCD'ing over.

I am wondering if the rattling on decel is the headers hitting something. If that is the case, did you put a new set of motor mounts in the car? If not that may take care of it. As far as the valvetrain tap is it possible there is nothing wrong and for some weird reason it is mor audible now the headers are on? How loud is it?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
New motor mounts went in last year so they should be good, it's not super loud but it's just one of those annoying things that I OCD on :(

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Nice build!

Do you plan on running any PhillySCCA events with it?

Going to Warminster next month?:banana:

Nah, a lot of the Philly guys are real dicks so I don't go to any of their events, plus I have a hard enough time setting up and running the South Jersey events that there really isn't any time left to think about other regions.

AMDanBailer

Nah, a lot of the Philly guys are real dicks so I don't go to any of their events, plus I have a hard enough time setting up and running the South Jersey events that there really isn't any time left to think about other regions.

Hrm....that's odd. I've been running in central penn/phila region for about 8 years now and everyone, including JR has been nothing but nice:shrug:

Oh well, if you ever have a weekend free of running your events, come to phila region and hangout with me. I'll be nice, I swear!:beer:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Hrm....that's odd. I've been running in central penn/phila region for about 8 years now and everyone, including JR has been nothing but nice:shrug:

Oh well, if you ever have a weekend free of running your events, come to phila region and hangout with me. I'll be nice, I swear!:beer:

JR is awesome, love that guy... I just can't say the same about some of the other guys there and unfortunately they've ruined almost every autocross I've been to in that region.

This Sunday is actually going to be my last autocross for quite some time (budget constraints) but if I ever decide to go to another Philly event I'll definitely let you know.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Nice. I havent been to an auto-x yet this year either. Most of the folks in my region are pissed that I havent been out yet. With no regional SCCA races this month I guess Ill haul the car down and throw it through the cones. It'll be interesting to see how nimble it really is.

firstdayofschool002.jpg

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
The valve train noise could be heard easier because of the bigger headers. It sounds stupid, but the stock manifolds restrict a lot.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
The valve train noise could be heard easier because of the bigger headers. It sounds stupid, but the stock manifolds restrict a lot.

That's exactly what I'm hoping but the main problem right now is that this is my daily driver so if it goes boom I don't have a way of getting to work :bash:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The thin header material of the headers doesnt muffle valve train noises as much as the heavy cast manifolds do. The noise was there before, you just couldnt hear it.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
The thin header material of the headers doesnt muffle valve train noises as much as the heavy cast manifolds do. The noise was there before, you just couldnt hear it.

I never thought about it that way, that makes total sense good call brother!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread