Finally got the Black Swan Reference

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
When the commercial for the 2013 Mustang came out, I think TOB highlighted the 'Black Swan' reference near the end of the commercial when the Shelby drove by. I looked around briefly but saw so many interpretations of Black Swan that I couldn't clearly define what the reference was supposed to stand for definitively. Today, I came by this story:

The Black Swan breeds mainly in the southeast and southwest regions of Australia and was unknown in Europe until a few hundred years ago. When the Roman satirist Juvenal wrote in 82 AD of "a rare bird in the lands, and very like a black swan," he was saying as a black swan did not exist, neither did the supposed characteristics of the 'rare bird' with which it was being compared. For the next 1500 years the black swan existed in the European imagination as a metaphor for that which could not exist, and the phrase "all swans are white" was used as a standard example of a well-known truth. Imagine the surprise, then, when The Dutch explorer Willem de Vlamingh sighted a black swan in 1697 on the western coast of Australia. Today, a black swan event is a large-impact, perceived impossibility that actually came to pass. Such an event was the 9/11 attacks.

A 200 mph Mustang. 662 horsepower. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have bet money on it. Now we'll see if this really is the swan song for the GT500, too.

nate

Established Member
I always took as a reference to the Black Swan movie since all the suits also change in the reflection. The little girl was showing her "dark" side, she didn't want some pink girly car, she wanted the baddest mustang around.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
For reference if someone hasn't seen it:

[youtube_browser]KnqNkGjN-Ck[/youtube_browser]

Crowley

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The little girl was showing her "dark" side, she didn't want some pink girly car, she wanted the baddest mustang around.

I think Ford's intent was along those lines, that she saw in herself a little of the "dark" side in the baddest mustang of all.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I never thought I'd say this but as much as the movie had a lot to do with ballet it was pretty damn good. The hot lesbian scene probably helped.:)

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I never thought I'd say this but as much as the movie had a lot to do with ballet it was pretty damn good. The hot lesbian scene probably helped.:)

That was the best scene in the whole movie.

When the commercial first aired my wife said " if we have a daughter, thats her right there" Of course we had a daughter after that.....:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread