Finally got hired!

03cobraracer

Established Member
Well after a few years of trying in NJ and then serving in the US Army for the past 5 years as a MP I finally got hired with a department. I finished my testing and got hired the next day with Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Department here in Savannah GA. I'm so excited to be starting my LEO career soon. I get out of the Army this week and then start the academy beginning of January.

I've wanted this for the past 7 years and finally got it. Now I'm ready to go to the academy and get my FTO training which I know is the real training. Just wanna say thanks to the LEOs on here as well as I've gotten a lot of good information from you guys in the past. Now it's time to take one uniform off and put a new one on!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Congrats to you! It is definitely a rewarding career!

03cobraracer

Established Member
Thanks guys yeah I'm ready to get started. I already did it in the army but I know there is a lot more for me to learn and I'm eager to learn it.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Thanks guys yeah I'm ready to get started. I already did it in the army but I know there is a lot more for me to learn and I'm eager to learn it.

:rockon: Congrats and thank you for your military service! A guy on my shift formerly worked for Savannah's PD.

Sidenote: I bolded an important part of your quote above. Try to keep this mentality for as long as you can. Even after FTO. Even after your probationary period. I have 1 1/2 years on the street in a city of roughly 200k people and by all accounts still consider myself a rookie. I came into this job at 30 years old after working a few corporate jobs and getting my bachelor's. I've noticed a lot of the younger guys, 22-27ish, with little "life" experience get cocky and a know-it-all attitude after 6-8 months on the job. This is dangerous for obvious reasons. Keep your ego in check and remember you never master this job, you only get better.

You'll also go through phases in this job of burnout and other things. I'm sure you're aware of it. Make sure you touch base with senior guys, your trusted high law, chaplaincy and other resources if things get gloomy.

Also, and I say this with a lot of respect meant, your time as an MP will be vastly different than that from a beat cop. You'll see what I mean once you get out in your city.

Congrats again! :beer:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Thanks! Yeah I here you on the age thing I'm 32 now and even young guys in the army are cocky little bastards lol. But yeah I really want to learn more since the training I got as a MP was not always the greatest. I'm ready to start with a clean slate and learn from the pros about the job.

I've definately been there where you get a little burnt out sometimes, I strictly worked LE in Germany for 3 years and worked a ton of hours (normal shift was like 14 hours) but I know I have to keep positive and a good attitude. I plan to learn from the guys that really know the city and the job well.

I'm sure it will be way different then MP work since we could only do so much and our hands were tied so much. And our call volume was no where near what Savannah has. I will be very busy. Lol.

Thanks for the advice though I appreciate it. I like to learn from anybody on the job.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Congratulations on your dream. I've been in law enforcement for 26 years and counting. As mentioned earlier, it is a rewarding career. Stay safe.

TaraFirma

Established Member
Congrats on your Army time and your new career.
Not sure if you saw combat in your time in the Army, but the streets here in the States can be even more dangerous than Iraq or Afghanistan.
Keep you head on a swivel!

03cobraracer

Established Member
Just an update so far so good! I only have 4 weeks left of the academy I'm completed 7 weeks already. Almost there!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Keep it up. Read the latest RIP thread. Read every one. Remember the fallen, listen to the old heads. ALWAYS KEEP EYES AND EARS OPEN AND MOUTH SHUT. OBSERVE EVERYTHING.

MG0h3

Established Member
Good job man. Keep it up.

Im thinking back to my academy and I recall thinking about how hard it was at the time. Now I just think back to what a great experience it was. Daily work is harder now I swear!

Users who are viewing this thread