Finally getting my Cobra -- a few questions about mods

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
After driving the Sonic Blue Coupe, it's obvious it needs a new shifter. Will the stock knob fit on both the Tri-Ax and the Pro 5.0?

As far as the exhaust goes, what are the benefits of an X pipe? So far it seems most people are pleased with the Magnaflow. If I do get an X pipe, I would rather get the catted version to mellow the sound out a bit. Thanks for any help people:beer:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
From what I saw in 5.0 magazine... the X-pipe with hi flo cats was only worth about 8HP or so.. (but that was AFTER they had already changed the Catback) Maybe it is worth more as a single item.. when the catback isn't changed.

I am running a 2001 Bassani X-pipe w/cats that I took off my 2001 and a new MagnaFlow Catback. Very happy with it.

lifter213

Established Member
The stock knob will fit on the Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-ax, and the MGW handle.

mosconiac

Established Member
If it helps, all of the above mentioned shifters/handles have a 12x1.75 metric thread (same as stock).

Mosconiac

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
If I just went ahead and put the catback on for now, could I go in later and add the X pipe with no problems? I think I will order a shifter and catback this week. I also need a car cover. I will make a separate post about that I.

Where do you recommend I order the shifter and catback from? Thanks guys.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
If it helps, all of the above mentioned shifters/handles have a 12x1.75 metric thread (same as stock).

thank you, sir....

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Oh yes.. very easy to do the catback now and then the X-pipe later. There is enough "give" in the rubber exhaust hangers to be able to wiggle the catback enough to get the H-pipe and X-pipe in. The rubber hangers are a bitch. Get some dish soap or spray silicone lubricant.. use a screw driver to pry the rubber a bit so you can squirt the lubricant in around the hanger rod. They go in very easily they come out hard. If you use a catback that has clamps like the Magnaflow one does, angle the clamps so the bolts face inward. If you aim them down you increase the chance of the car rubbing against objects. (this thing sits low) Best to have access to a lift to put the catback on tho it can be done while the car is on jack stands. Just tougher to adjust it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to crawl out from under the car to check the fit and crawl back under to adjust to crawl back out to check to ...etc...

I'm too old for that...

03BlackMamba

Established Member
Hey 32 Valve Symphony......Go Jayhawks.......

I put the stock knob on my Pro 5.0 shifter...... I used the short handle that curves back some a little towards the driver. It came with the shifter. No additional trany noise is noticed on my Pro 5.0. I also have the new '03 Bassani Cat'd X-pipe & Bassani Cat Back system. It is an awesome sound but the neighbors will know it's you when you get on it...... I think the 4" chrome tips are a little over kill for me. Almost to the point of trying to keep up with the melon shooters.......hehehe. Or maybe Bassani was leaning towards the young guys and the big tip trend???? I haven't pulled the baffels out of the tips to see how it changes the sound so far..... My wife is from Hanover, her brother lives in Manhattan (Lake Elbo) so she is a BIG FAN of the Jayhawks.........and down on those Red Guys (football) -- you know.....Nebraska......Right? Our son plays for UW Huskies (soccer) and flys off to South Carolina this week and will take on College of Charlston & South Carolina while there.
Keep that Cobra off those dirt roads........and take care...

Last edited:

03BlackMamba

Established Member
ArizonaSnake.......
Old...man I am the old one...... Good write up and insight on the exhaust...... I visited my daughter @ Phoenix with my C5 a couple years ago.... Man, I thought it would melt..... Just came in for a break from waxing my Black Mamba.... Being retired and owning black rigs makes me want to write some poetry.......
Love That Cobra.....

sstock

Established Member
03 Black Mamba, that is one sweet Cobra you have.
Nice talking to you at the Union 76 station the other day.
BTW, An 03 Cobra was running 12.6's at get this 117mph at Bremerton track last night.
My truck is loaded and I'm heading out to the track tomorrow.
Get up early and meet us at The Tacoma Dome at 0615.
Racing at Bremerton . You dont have to race but cmon on out you will like!
Later
Steve

03DOHC

Established Member
I'd get an MGW handle before buying a shifter, you may conclude, as I and others have, that it works fine. Stock knob fits fine.

If you attatch your cat-back w/clamps you should be able to adjust your exhaust when you get your x-pipe. I have no dyno numbers for the Magnaflow, but others have posted results, and to be honest it is louder than I like. As long as you're on flat ground doing less than 80 in 6th and just cruising it is OK. Once you add even a little gas it's loud! IMHO IT SOUNDS FREAKING WICKED! Burble and gurgle and vroom and all! Sweet! It is loud though. Feels like some low end is gone but pulls nice up top. I'm talking about the MF x-pipe and cat-back.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Well, as you can see in my sig, I have got most of these parts waiting to be installed at home. I will have them on in a couple of weeks when I go home for fall break and I will be sure to do a write up on my impressions :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread