Finally decided to mod the Vette.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So my Vette has almost 55K miles on it now and the only performance mod I've done since picking her up at the factory in BG has ben a Halltech CAI. I think I've gambled long enough with the LS7 valve issue and have decided to finally address it. I plan on letting Katech in Detroit perform a Stage 2 upgrade on my motor. Consists of completely reworked heads, bigger cam, fast 102 intake, and tuning. I've got a set of Kooks Lt's and catted x-pipe on the way which I will need to install before taking the car to Katech. Unfortunately they will not install headers on street driven cars.

I've got a new set of tires just sitting here at the house, but am torn between ordering some new rims, or getting my stockers restored. Also have a set of Carbotech brakes for all 4 corners which need to be installed while I'm deciding on what to do with the rims.

It's going to be a slow process getting all this completed over the next few months. Can't wait to get to it though!

U.M.

Machdup1

Established Member
Nice, while it is aparts you might consider new valve covers, fuel rails and relocation of the coil packs behind the fenders.

I still need to do my fuel rails:

4a8e3d8ae4484c69cf5ad40dc4666d14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So my Vette has almost 55K miles on it now and the only performance mod I've done since picking her up at the factory in BG has ben a Halltech CAI. I think I've gambled long enough with the LS7 valve issue and have decided to finally address it. I plan on letting Katech in Detroit perform a Stage 2 upgrade on my motor. Consists of completely reworked heads, bigger cam, fast 102 intake, and tuning. I've got a set of Kooks Lt's and catted x-pipe on the way which I will need to install before taking the car to Katech. Unfortunately they will not install headers on street driven cars.

I've got a new set of tires just sitting here at the house, but am torn between ordering some new rims, or getting my stockers restored. Also have a set of Carbotech brakes for all 4 corners which need to be installed while I'm deciding on what to do with the rims.

It's going to be a slow process getting all this completed over the next few months. Can't wait to get to it though!

U.M.
Ive always had a rule where if the wheel Im looking at doesnt meet or exceed the quality of the factory wheel, it doesnt get swapped. If you desperately need a different looking wheel, thats one thing. Perhaps a change in color is all you need?

I have to imagine the wheels on a Z06 are pretty sweet to begin with.

tistan

Established Member
katech is a sick shop - odd that they wont install headers on street cars, what's their reason for that? Just curious.

You're in good hands! In for gains!
With the crackdowns on shops circumventing emissions, it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't want to keep that on their record

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Nice, while it is apart you might consider new valve covers, fuel rails and relocation of the coil packs behind the fenders.
I haven't decided yet as far as any cosmetic changes. Katech wants $1100 for their cast aluminum valve covers!!

Ive always had a rule where if the wheel Im looking at doesn't meet or exceed the quality of the factory wheel, it doesn't get swapped. If you desperately need a different looking wheel, that's one thing. Perhaps a change in color is all you need?

I have the stock painted Z06 spyder rims. Thing is I'm on my 4th set of tires on this car and the mounting/dismounting of all those tires and the couple of 4-wheel alignments I've had performed have resulted in numerous chips around the outer edge of the rims. I'm trying to decide whether to get the stockers powder coated or go with something different. Leaning towards refurbishing the stockers ATM.

katech is a sick shop - odd that they wont install headers on street cars, what's their reason for that? Just curious.
You're in good hands! In for gains!
Yeah Katech does shit right. One of the reasons why I am taking my car to a shop which is almost 1000 miles away.
With the crackdowns on shops circumventing emissions, it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't want to keep that on their record

Yup! They don't want to deal with any potential federal law breaking by removing & replacing fully functional emissions equipment.

So I have the new tires on hand already. I finally made the switch from the Goodyear F1's to Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions. They have a bit more tread depth, run quieter, and are cheaper than those from GY.

Still waiting for the Carbotech brake pads to arrive.
Kooks Lt's (Jet Hot coated) and Kooks catted X-pipe are currently 'en route.

I have an outdated Halltech CAI on the car now as my only performance mod. I'll probably end up replacing that with an upgraded Halltech unit that is designed specifically to mate up with the FAST 102MM TB/Intake setup.

U.M.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Kind of strange, considering longtubes and a catted X pipe would be considered legal, assuming EGR and all other emissions equipment are full functional. So long as it remains intact and passes, I don't get how it would not be deemed legal?

But very cool. That thing is going to be an animal.

Kiohtee

Established Member
To my knowledge, there isn’t a set of long tubes that are legal by definition. They may pass a sniff test, but they won’t pass altogether.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive always had a rule where if the wheel Im looking at doesnt meet or exceed the quality of the factory wheel, it doesnt get swapped. If you desperately need a different looking wheel, thats one thing. Perhaps a change in color is all you need?

Amen to this.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it's only a matter of time before I pick up one of these also.

OP just curious, have you checked out RPM? They're pretty reputable in the LS world

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think it's only a matter of time before I pick up one of these also.

OP just curious, have you checked out RPM? They're pretty reputable in the LS world

They are very good and no disrespect, but they do not race at high level in Motorsports like Katech has done for decades in Trans Am, IMSA, Pirelli World Challenge.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't decided yet as far as any cosmetic changes. Katech wants $1100 for their cast aluminum valve covers!!

I have an outdated Halltech CAI on the car now as my only performance mod. I'll probably end up replacing that with an upgraded Halltech unit that is designed specifically to mate up with the FAST 102MM TB/Intake setup.

U.M.
A Heads/Cam C6Z is an amazing machine, just don't over-cam because driveability will suffer. For the money, FAST intakes don't work as well as others on the LS7. So I would stick with the factory intake, or go with an MSD.

Look into a set of Holley valve covers for $250ish and powder coat any color you want. Then get Proform coil relocation kit. I'm super happy with this setup and it's a fraction of what Katech charges.
0126192108a.jpg

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice, while it is aparts you might consider new valve covers, fuel rails and relocation of the coil packs behind the fenders.

I still need to do my fuel rails:

View attachment 1584310

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the look of hidden coil packs, but removing a fender to diagnose and/or replace a coil pack made me decide against it.

08mojo

Established Member
A Heads/Cam C6Z is an amazing machine, just don't over-cam because driveability will suffer. For the money, FAST intakes don't work as well as others on the LS7. So I would stick with the factory intake, or go with an MSD.

Look into a set of Holley valve covers for $250ish and powder coat any color you want. Then get Proform coil relocation kit. I'm super happy with this setup and it's a fraction of what Katech charges.
View attachment 1584898

^This. MSD has surpassed the FAST intake for performance. You guys make me miss my C6Z...

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Kind of strange, considering longtubes and a catted X pipe would be considered legal, assuming EGR and all other emissions equipment are full functional. So long as it remains intact and passes, I don't get how it would not be deemed legal?
While removing a functioning factory catalytic converter and replacing it with a less restrictive one seems like it would be okay, it's not. There's all sorts of state & federal regulations which make this a no-no. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendment is just one of the regs which covers the replacement of catalytic converters and what's allowed and what's not.

I did. I shopped around a bit before making the decision to go with Katech.

They are very good and no disrespect, but they do not race at high level in Motorsports like Katech has done for decades in Trans Am, IMSA, Pirelli World Challenge.
True dat. Katech did a lot of work for GM on the C5-R.

View attachment 1584898
No problem with over-cam'ing the car. The car is not tracked or raced. The wife and I use it for long distance car runs around the country so stock drive-ability and reliability are big concerns. I'll be going with one of the mildest LS7 cams they have, a Torquer 116. As for a better intake than the FAST... it's what Katech uses in their "Stage 2" package.

I'm not trying to make a monster with this car. I just want a bit more power across the board, a more aggressive exhaust note, and heads that I don't have to worry about dropping a valve.

I'll have to take a look at those valve covers from Holley...

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread