Finally Cut That Cord!

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
The GF got me a fire stick for Christmas and I love it. She has had one for a while. I now have 3 in my house.

Great for my son as well as he is a huge Marvel comics fan and is amazed that he can watch any movie he wants at anytime.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I do the Hulu thing, and just recently, picked up Amazon Prime to see the Grand Tour. I won't have it much longer though. The best 11 bucks a month I've spent. ha

kaotic

Established Member
Firesticks are good to get started but I'd recommend an Android box to run things smoother. Nvidia shield if you want the best. Xaomi mi box is a good cheaper option available at Walmart for about 70 bucks or so. Getting a real debrid account helps with getting better links with less buffering.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Satyr

Established Member
I've been cable free with an HTPC, Kodi and a home fileserver for 5+ years. When I started it, the options were pretty awful and it was nearly impossible to get any good material. For those of you with Kodi, the add-on "USTV Now" is a free service meant for overseas families to get basic cable. You can sign up online, just make sure you indicate you are not currently living in the U.S. Antenna also works, but if you already have Kodi you don't need to add anything else if you grab that add-on.

For those of you running the jailbroken firesticks and android boxes, what programs and add-ons are you using? I know Exodus and Phoenix are popular but wouldn't mind some new ideas for content, especially newly released theater movies. The Exodus streams for new movies (Logan, John Wick 2) were horrible when I checked them out, and there are usually so many variants that I don't know if any are actually good quality or not.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Cut the cord years ago, I just torrent but I think I'm going to build a Kodi box with a spare computer I have laying around, or I'll build my own with a controller

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Firesticks are good to get started but I'd recommend an Android box to run things smoother. Nvidia shield if you want the best. Xaomi mi box is a good cheaper option available at Walmart for about 70 bucks or so. Getting a real debrid account helps with getting better links with less buffering.

Are you running Krypton? My shield tv will not run it, i have to stay on Jarvis. Have you heard of this?

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Yes I'm using Kodi and it has a TON of add ons but I'm using Specto fork mainly, the search function is the easiest. I just watch Logan and Kong Skull Island this AM. :)

How was Logan on that add on? We set ours up last night and tried to use Exodus to watch Logan. Tried a couple different files and every one was choppy, bad quality and had Japanese subtitles. Gave up and my wife watched Fantastic beasts instead. Quality was good on that one.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
How was Logan on that add on? We set ours up last night and tried to use Exodus to watch Logan. Tried a couple different files and every one was choppy, bad quality and had Japanese subtitles. Gave up and my wife watched Fantastic beasts instead. Quality was good on that one.

A lot of the movies still in the theaters will have subtitles cause they're bootlegged from another country. Like in Logans case you saw Korean subtitles. The copy I watched was good quality it just had the subtitles.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
The only time you're going to get a good/decent quality picture on movies that are still in theaters is towards the end of the year.

I'm looking for a review of the new quad core firestick and how it compares to the 1st gen firestick? Anyone have experience with both? My first gen runs fine with Kodi 17.1/Titanium, but with the new one being quad core it has to run faster/smoother, right?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I hate my first gen fire stick. It is teeth grinding slow.

Anyone try/hear anything about youtube tv yet?

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Xaomi is a great device except if you use it for Netflix. I still have Netflix for its easier usage especially with kids. Plus I still have a free year of Netflix so why not.

The Mi Box has a huge issue with the Netflix app not working properly. So for me, that was the deal breaker and went with the Firestick.
The only time you're going to get a good/decent quality picture on movies that are still in theaters is towards the end of the year.

I'm looking for a review of the new quad core firestick and how it compares to the 1st gen firestick? Anyone have experience with both? My first gen runs fine with Kodi 17.1/Titanium, but with the new one being quad core it has to run faster/smoother, right?
Its faster and smoother but the Fire TV box is still the better option. You get less hiccups with the 2nd gen vs the 1st gen and I noticed the wifi signal was a tad stronger on the 2nd gen as well.

_Snake_

Established Member
Reviving this as I cut the cord last month and have questions.

I’m currently using a Firestick with Amazon Prime, Netfix, and Hulu. I’m looking for an antenna for inside the attic as my next step - should I go with one that’s amplified? I’m finding mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

Are there any other “must have’s” I should look at? I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more recommendations for apps like Sling, etc.

BTW, I went from paying my cable company $210/month to $90/month while upgrading my internet speed from 200 to 300.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

I’m currently using a Firestick with Amazon Prime, Netfix, and Hulu. I’m looking for an antenna for inside the attic as my next step - should I go with one that’s amplified? I’m finding mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

Are there any other “must have’s” I should look at? I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more recommendations for apps like Sling, etc.

BTW, I went from paying my cable company $210/month to $90/month while upgrading my internet speed from 200 to 300.

Getting ready to do the same. @SID297 for your antenna question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

Not sure on the antenna but look into downloading Terrarium, its much better than kodi.

We've been happy and cord free for a year with Fire Tv coupled with Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Terrarium.

Users who are viewing this thread