Final Answer on 10.5" Rims and 315 D/R's????

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
What's the definitive word on this set-up???

I've read a million different threads on it, but they all say something different:

10.5" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's work great.

10.5" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's don't work - tire is too narrow.

10.5" '03 wheels + BFG 315/35R-17's work great with NO spacers or funky button-head bolts.

10.5" '03 wheels + BFG 315/35R-17's don't work - tire is too wide.

Stock 9" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's work great.

Stock 9" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's don't work - tire bubbles-out too much.

It's all so confusing!!! For every person that says a combo above works great, there are 5 others who say it's unsafe and/or rubs.........

I prefer to use the BFG D/R as opposed to the crappy Nitto D/R....so what's the deal here. Spacers? Grind bolt down? Nothing needed at all?

Don

Tambini

Established Member
whats up don? hows the car? last time i was at laroccas they told me a bfg 315 will fit on our cars but you need a spacer and you need to grind down the bolt. they also said that the 315 nitto will fit with no modifications. i have the 275 nitto on for daily driving and so far it works better then i expected.

rb185afm

Established Member
I have 17x11" CCW rims out back with 315/35/17 BFG Drag Raidials. They fit fine on my car and I dont have any spacers. I also have the H&R race spings on my car and the tires will just barley scrap the wheel well lip when I corner the car to the limit of traction but that is it.

n0xlf

Established Member
I can testify to Sambandit's car, which is running 335x30x18s on AFS 10.5s, with no spacer...He is lowered a bit (don't know what setup there)...He says he hits the IRS bolt when it's raised, but no problems other than that..

He also has experience with the 315 DRs...

People's cars seem to be different also, even with the same setup..It seems that small variations here and there make a difference as far as clearance as well...

I'm sure sambandit will respond to this soon for more info! :)

Last edited:

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Well guys, my car for one isn't lowered, nor do I have any intention to lower the car. Just looking for answers as to what the deal is because I would really like to put some AFS 17x10.5's under there and run some BFG D/R's on there.

Tambini, car is still running lean over 5500rmp's so I really am avoiding driving the car right now. I have an appointment at JDM for May 24th, hopefully we can square it away, and can drive the car they way I like to. HARD!

Chris C

Established Member
i have 10.5 with 315/35/17 BFG's they will rub with spacers, when u have the car JACKED up, but fit fine when its on the ground.

Tambini

Established Member
that things gonna be a monster once u get it right, you have to give me a ride once its ready.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
No doubt Pete! Me, you, BMX and Foley will roll out after May 24th......definately man, definately.

Think I am going with the AFS 10.5 inch rims with the 315 Nittos and try to save myself the headaches of rubbing the IRS bolts.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Just to clarify some of the threads you mentioned...

10.5" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's work great...
10.5" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's don't work - tire is too narrow...

Here's why you get 2 answers to this question: 315 Nitto DRs are not nearly as wide as other 315 "street" tires. They are about as wide as a BFG or Goodyear 285 street tire. For example...BFG KDs and Goodyear GS-D3s (both street tires) have a section width that's a full 1 inch wider than Nitto DRs (12.75" vs. 11.75"). Because Nitto 315s run somewhat smaller, some people think they look too narrow on a 10.5" wheel. I have 285s on 10.5" wheels right now and I can tell you that they really don't look like enough tire for the wheel.

And just to make it more confusing... Someone posted on here not too long ago and said that they thought that Nitto was making their 315s a little larger than they used to. This was not confirmed by anyone, though.

10.5" '03 wheels + BFG 315/35R-17's work great with NO spacers or funky button-head bolts.

I haven't heard a lot about how BFG DRs run (as far as how wide the really are). But I can tell you that if you are NOT lowered and you're running ANY 315 on 10.5" wheels, your tires WILL hit the IRS bolt heads when the rear suspenmsion is unloaded. Plan on having to shave off about 1/4" from the IRS bolt heads if you go to 10.5" wheels (it's not a big deal).

As for not needing spacers...here's my experience: I fit Dunlop Sport 8000 315-35-17s on AFS 10.5" wheels. This combo barely fit on my car without spacers...I only had 1/8" of clearance between the sidewall and the IRS frame at normal ride height. Dunlops have a section width of 12.2" on a 10.5" wheel. So my conclusion was that anything with a section width of more than 12.2" (on a 10.5" wheel) will require spacers on a car that hasn't been lowered.

It would be highly unusual to be able to run 315-35-17s on 10.5" wheels without spacers (not including Nitto DRs). Again...I'm talking about a car that hasn't been lowered. If you're lowered, that buys you a little extra clearance.

10.5" '03 wheels + BFG 315/35R-17's don't work - tire is too wide.

I've only heard a few people say that a 315 was too wide for a 10.5" wheel. Even the largest 315s (BFG KDs and Goodyear GS D3s) look fine on 10.5" wheels. The Dunlop315s I mentioned above are just big enough for a 10.5" wheel...and the biggest BFG/Goodyear 315s are only 1/2" wider. So I don't know how they could be considered too big unless they have a section width over 12.75".

Stock 9" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's work great.
Stock 9" '03 wheels + Nitto 315/35R-17's don't work - tire bubbles-out too much.

Nitto 315s fit fine and look OK on stock wheels. I can shoot you a picture to judge for yourself. I can't say the same for BFG DRs because I don't know what their section width is. A "normal" sized 315 on a stock wheel would definitely have a "bubbled out" sidewall and would look goofy.

You can always work with a Discount Tire to test-fit some different combinations. My local store is very cooperative and they match/beat TireRack prices. :thumbsup:

-Greg

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
the facts

I've had two of those combinations on my car.
1. 315/35/17 Nitto on stock rim:

Fits with no clearance issues at all.
The 315 is too large for the 9" rim but it works.
2. 315/35/17 Nitto on 10.5" AFS wheel:

Clearance is ok when the suspension is loaded
Hits the IRS bolt when suspension is unloaded.
If you use a button head bolt you will have enough clearance,but the head is not nearly as strong as the original bolt.

I bought a few extra rear bolts to play with.I'm going to contour the heads in a lathe.I'll let you know how that comes out.
Guy

BTW with the 10.5" rim at the same pressure,26psi, you gain over1" more rubber on the road!

Users who are viewing this thread