Filling Intercooler System

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
how's it going all?! i've tried searching on this, but can't really find a clear answer. i am putting an eaton on my 99. so the intercooler, heat exchanger, and everything else involved with the intercooler system will obviously be drained.

1) will i be able to fill the intercooler with any type of fluid then. i read something about early '03s being green, while later models were goldish. will i be okay if i run a regular green 50/50 coolant? should i make sure and get coolamt that says that it mixes with all types?

2) do i have to do anything special while filling the intercooler system? or ido i just let it run and leave the cap off the resevoir and keep refilling it until the level stays up?

thanks a lot for any input!!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
For simplicity sake, I would use the same coolant that is in your car. Just make sure the coolant that was in the intercooler is completely drained and cleaned. You don't want to combine the two coolants...use one or the other.

Fill the reservoir and get the pump running. Make sure there isn't an air lock and fill to the proper level. If the pump is running and won't pump fluid, you may have to bleed the system here and there to get rid of the air lock. Some have given a shot of air pressure to the system to help prime the pump...but be VERY careful...you could severely damage the components if you hit it with too much pressure. I would break hose connections and bleed before I used air. Since the pump is so low, you shouldn't have much problem priming it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto to what FireRed04Vert said. Ford is very clear about the fact that you cannot mix the two types (gold and green).

The early (first run) 2003 Cobras used the green coolant. They switched to the gold for the second run and for the 2004 Cobra. Here's a link to my FAQ page with more specific into. The link is for the Primary Coolant (which is the same coolant used for the intercooler). Also read the Intercooler Coolant info.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092349

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Ditto to what FireRed04Vert said. Ford is very clear about the fact that you cannot mix the two types (gold and green).

The early (first run) 2003 Cobras used the green coolant. They switched to the gold for the second run and for the 2004 Cobra. Here's a link to my FAQ page with more specific into. The link is for the Primary Coolant (which is the same coolant used for the intercooler). Also read the Intercooler Coolant info.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092349

That is a VERY helpful link. I now have a short cut to it on the ole comp. :-D

:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad it helped you out. I love when info is shared and helpful. :)

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
thanks a lot for the help guys! should i spray the intercooler out real good before actually putting it on? or is there another way to clean it out? thanks again!

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
I'd just flush it with clean water as best you can and then let it sit so the clean water can drain. As long as the old coolant is out then you're good. Excess clean water in the IC won't hurt you, you've gotta mix the new stuff with water anyway.

You can jump the IC relay to help cycle the new coolant through once it's all in the car to help fill everything up before you crank it over for the first time.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
I just used the premixed prestone stuff. I flushed the system completely with distilled water and then filled with the prestone. No problems at all and coolant stays nice a cool.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
AMP said:
I'd just flush it with clean water as best you can and then let it sit so the clean water can drain. As long as the old coolant is out then you're good. Excess clean water in the IC won't hurt you, you've gotta mix the new stuff with water anyway.
that's what i was thinking. sounds great!

AMP said:
You can jump the IC relay to help cycle the new coolant through once it's all in the car to help fill everything up before you crank it over for the first time.
can't i just turn the key to "accessory"(radio and lights come on), and let the pump run like that while i fill it? i'm probably thinking wrong though. thanks!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I don't know about the accessory position...that would surprise me. Possibly the KOEO position would do it. The relay jump is easy to do...and if you're going to do any racing, I would permanently do that with a switch so you can turn it on between rounds to cool.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
this may be a dumb question, but what is the KOEO position? is that where you turn the key all the way forward to the position just before actually startiing the car?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
thanks AMP! that helps. the only thing is is that i was going to hook it up to a key on/off circuit. that's why it made more sense to just turn my key to "ON". i thought that's how it was set up stock. is this a bad idea, or am i thinking right? thanks!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
99riocobra said:
this may be a dumb question, but what is the KOEO position? is that where you turn the key all the way forward to the position just before actually startiing the car?

Not a dumb question at all. It's an old Ford term. Key On Engine Off....which is exactly what you described. The key is in the run position, but you didn't go to the crank position. This should turn the intercooler pump on.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
so hooking the pump up for KOEO is the right way to do it then right? is there any sort of benefit to jumping the pump to fill it versus just turning the key then? thanks!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I don't believe you have to have the key on to use the relay trick...but I'm not sure on that. I would do the relay bypass and make it permanent with a switch under the hood. That way you can cool the intercooler fluid between rounds...or whenever.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
so the only benefit to jumping he relay versus just turning the key is that none of the other electronics switch on when you jump it, right? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread