Filler neck damage wen pulling tank, opinions?

01vert

Established Member
Putting my 01 back on the road after two years. Find that the fuel pump died. When pulling the tank I was removing the filler neck as the gasket between the filler neck and the trunk floor is inside the trunk on the top so I couldn't just let it slide down.
As I was pulling it out of the tank gasket one of the plastic legs on the anti siphon / rollover Float assembly cracked! Since the float kept hanging up on the crack when I move the float up and down by hand I took the whole plastic asembly at the bottom end of the filler neck off

Anyone know if this will negatively affect normal driving / filling the tank / whatever?

Whole job has been a pita as I didn't realize I loaned out my fuel line disconnect tools till now plus the tank has 5 gallons of gas in it. Plus the fuel filter looks original and is a bear to get out. Replacing that, obviously.

Any tips or help is appreciated. Really want to get it back on the road as I picked up a set of FR500s for it and plan on mods as money accumulates.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the third time I dropped the tank in my 01 I broke that piece. Never had an issue after that. I think some people have issues with the pump not shutting off at the correct time, but I don't remember having that issue.

01vert

Established Member
UPDATE

FML. Connectors on the Delphi fuel pump were super tight to click in. The larger one I had to use a small c clamp to get the pieces to button up. The smaller one directly above the tank was off a tiny bit and I shaved the clip so it would lock.

Now the fuel gauge is dead and a have a CEL light on.....

Going to bring it down to a local shop as I am done pulling the tank. Easier for them to check it out than me waste two days fooling with it.

Users who are viewing this thread