• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Filler neck damage wen pulling tank, opinions?

Discussion in 'New Edge Cobras' started by 01vert, Aug 2, 2019.

1. 01vert

01vert Active Member Established Member

Putting my 01 back on the road after two years. Find that the fuel pump died. When pulling the tank I was removing the filler neck as the gasket between the filler neck and the trunk floor is inside the trunk on the top so I couldn't just let it slide down.
    As I was pulling it out of the tank gasket one of the plastic legs on the anti siphon / rollover Float assembly cracked! Since the float kept hanging up on the crack when I move the float up and down by hand I took the whole plastic asembly at the bottom end of the filler neck off

Anyone know if this will negatively affect normal driving / filling the tank / whatever?

Whole job has been a pita as I didn't realize I loaned out my fuel line disconnect tools till now plus the tank has 5 gallons of gas in it. Plus the fuel filter looks original and is a bear to get out. Replacing that, obviously.

Any tips or help is appreciated. Really want to get it back on the road as I picked up a set of FR500s for it and plan on mods as money accumulates.

2. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

I think the third time I dropped the tank in my 01 I broke that piece. Never had an issue after that. I think some people have issues with the pump not shutting off at the correct time, but I don't remember having that issue.

3. 01vert

01vert Active Member Established Member

UPDATE

FML. Connectors on the Delphi fuel pump were super tight to click in. The larger one I had to use a small c clamp to get the pieces to button up. The smaller one directly above the tank was off a tiny bit and I shaved the clip so it would lock.

Now the fuel gauge is dead and a have a CEL light on.....

Going to bring it down to a local shop as I am done pulling the tank. Easier for them to check it out than me waste two days fooling with it.

4. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

I feel you. I went through something similar with my 01.