Fighting Belt Slip (Pics Inside) - Any Gates RPM Belt/GripTec Vendors?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Centri guys might need belts over 100". I think my last Procharger set up took 110" belt.

The K081092 is damned near impossible to get on at first, it would be too short with the RPM belt. I would need to go up one from there, closer to 110".

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
Yeah, I highly doubt I will. Was just going to purchase a griptec 2.6 to compare it with the carbonite coated pulley I'm currently using.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
How do you like the carbinite coated pulley? After seeing this thread, I reinstalled my carbinite 2.76" upper and cranked my RR tensioner down with 35 lbs. It's way tight now. And builds and holds boost better than ever if I'm being honest. Plus the belt dust is noticeably less. Obviously I had no where near enough tension on my tensioner first go around with this setup.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
If I measured right I'm going to need the k080828rpm which is 82.87". Right now I have the k080830 which is 83.75"

This is where that whipple aux pulley comes in handy....you have adjustment range. The one thing you can't do with the RPM is get it too tight initially because it's gong to snap on your first drive, right when you lift off the throttle after hitting boost. Since there really are not enough sizes in the RPM 8-rib lineup to accommodate all the pulley combos we run, you might need an assortment of idler sizes to get that 82.87" to have the tensioner arm fall in the 30% range.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you like the carbinite coated pulley? After seeing this thread, I reinstalled my carbinite 2.76" upper and cranked my RR tensioner down with 35 lbs. It's way tight now. And builds and holds boost better than ever if I'm being honest. Plus the belt dust is noticeably less. Obviously I had no where near enough tension on my tensioner first go around with this setup.
I like the fact that it works, but I hate all the belt dust it generates. I like my engine bay looking clean.

This is the main reason I'll be installing a lower with a standard 3" upper.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
On a side note. I'm wondering if this is enough slack with the RPM belt.

d00ccf719ab5f2a341971e7151bc2d1a.jpg
eb39a5d5b4ddad36e5a15f8918f1e1c8.jpg
aec937ade2fb6d722a2ec7e5687cbffd.jpg
b017b53d875caf8c73dd4bb1e431c68e.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

View attachment 1634370View attachment 1634371View attachment 1634372View attachment 1634373

I think that looks good seeing you pinch the belt over like that.....because I'm not positive how to read that main tensioner mark. Bet that works fine and if you are erring on one side or the other....it's probably on the loose side. Good starting point to give her a rip see if boost holds

GM2Ford

Established Member

View attachment 1634370View attachment 1634371View attachment 1634372View attachment 1634373

On mine, I cannot push my belt that far in on any of the spots.

Your Thump RRR tensioner also looks really close to the resting position. I'd probably move it so the stop screw it more to the right. There's a picture of mine I posted to give you an idea. But seems like with that Whipple adjuster you may need an extra pair of hands to help you install and tighten the bolt to that piece while you hold the tensioner in place.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
On mine, I cannot push my belt that far in on any of the spots.

Your Thump RRR tensioner also looks really close to the resting position. I'd probably move it so the stop screw it more to the right. There's a picture of mine I posted to give you an idea. But seems like with that Whipple adjuster you may need an extra pair of hands to help you install and tighten the bolt to that piece while you hold the tensioner in place.
I was wondering if it's "too" loose. Previous belt was a 74.5" and I still had the whipple pulley probably 1/2" inch further to the right than this. And this belt is a 75.1". I can easily adjust the whipple unit tighter by myself.

Also,

The station where I always got e85 took all there e85 pumps out....

I normally travel 20 miles one way to get it. I have another couple options. Bigger town just over 20 miles one way that has some good e85 I guess.

This weekend I'll probably drain the rest of the 91 out and get some ethanol.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I was wondering if it's "too" loose. Previous belt was a 74.5" and I still had the whipple pulley probably 1/2" inch further to the right than this. And this belt is a 75.1". I can easily adjust the whipple unit tighter by myself.

Also,

The station where I always got e85 took all there e85 pumps out....

I normally travel 20 miles one way to get it. I have another couple options. Bigger town just over 20 miles one way that has some good e85 I guess.

This weekend I'll probably drain the rest of the 91 out and get some ethanol.

Damn that sucks losing an e85 option!

But back to the belt, just take the breaker bar and socket with you on the test drive....you can pull over and snug it in 2 seconds if need be

04GTMustang

Established Member

How was that working for you with that much tension? I want to pick up an RPM belt but I'm in a dilemma. A 75.5" fits perfect, 60-65%-ish tension. 75.1" would be too tight with the RPM. and 76.48" I think would be no tension. I had a 76" on that was a few years old that was sitting at around 20-25%.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How was that working for you with that much tension? I want to pick up an RPM belt but I'm in a dilemma. A 75.5" fits perfect, 60-65%-ish tension. 75.1" would be too tight with the RPM. and 76.48" I think would be no tension. I had a 76" on that was a few years old that was sitting at around 20-25%.
So far it's working.....but I haven't brought it to redline either. I'm nervous of snapping a belt.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I just put one on my set up. Haven't driven it yet but I'm at 40-50% on the tensioner. Hopefully this weekend I can test it out. Looks so much better that the green!
20200505_140403.jpg

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I have a 2.9 Whipple e85, and have RPM belt, I ran it for a summer at 70percent tension with no issues. I have the metco tensioner brace and I was seeing some wear on the brace bump stop though

I bought the adjustable whipple supercharger aux pulley and have tension at 40 to 50 percent now. Don't feel any slip at upper rpms under 90 percent power. Haven't been to redline...
(Adjusting the tension on this set up is as simple as tightening a bolt to 34ilbs while holding tension on the tensioner. Takes 3 minutes.) Now I don't have to play with trying all these different belt sizes and if I change back to 93 octane my 3.5 pulley fits without changing belt.

I also picked up a RR supercharger pulley so that could be helping to.

Overall set up works well. Had about 3 tanks of e85 already this year without issues. Knock on wood. Too much fun to drive.

Would do the adjustable Whipple set up it's worth it.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Where does one buy this Whipple adjustable aux pulley??

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Call whipple directly. They are spendy, but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread