Fighting Belt Slip (Pics Inside) - Any Gates RPM Belt/GripTec Vendors?

GM2Ford

Established Member
So the initial results are in. Absolutely zero belt slip or boost drop off. It actually looks to have picked up boost throughout the entire pull. It was very hard to actually monitor the gauge and watch the road as lots of things were happening very fast. But when I tell you this thing felt like a MONSTER! Man... I was actually a little hesitant to keep it going in 4th because I'm pretty sure I need a revised to tune at this boost level. I took 3rd gear to about 7k rpms.

I was very surprised to see it continuously picking up boost.

GripTec RPM.png

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Awesome results!

I'm really not surprised.....I knew this belt was more than just a pretty face.....it has game changing technology packed into it that is custom tailored for running these PD/twin screw/roots blowers. And remarkably low tension levels. Safer on the blower snout, crank, idlers....

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So the initial results are in. Absolutely zero belt slip or boost drop off. It actually looks to have picked up boost throughout the entire pull. It was very hard to actually monitor the gauge and watch the road as lots of things were happening very fast. But when I tell you this thing felt like a MONSTER! Man... I was actually a little hesitant to keep it going in 4th because I'm pretty sure I need a revised to tune at this boost level. I took 3rd gear to about 7k rpms.

I was very surprised to see it continuously picking up boost.

View attachment 1634144
So, initially you've been fighting belt slip for awhile? What pulley combo? Crazy I've had gatorback and green HD belts work on a little 2.6

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

GM2Ford

Established Member
That's awesome! Told you it would feel like a new car up top. Glad it all worked out.
Better revise that tune and get some more fuel up top

Yeah I’m definitely on it. I need to redo the vacuum hoses because the vacuum hose at the rear base of the blower blew off while I was at WOT somewhere at end of 3rd shifting into 4th.

Awesome results!

I'm really not surprised.....I knew this belt was more than just a pretty face.....it has game changing technology packed into it that is custom tailored for running these PD/twin screw/roots blowers. And remarkably low tension levels. Safer on the blower snout, crank, idlers....

I’m definitely a believer now. I probably will get a bigger GripTec Pulley like a 3.0” and see what type of boost numbers it’ll provide. 28~30psi is a ton of boost lol, maybe too much for me right now.

So, initially you've been fighting belt slip for awhile? What pulley combo? Crazy I've had gatorback and green HD belts work on a little 2.6

Prior to that, I always used the Gates Green and I had it with...

2.75” upper, stock lower, 3x100mm Metco idler w/ 90mm Metco Aux idler.

I was having belt slip even with a 3.00” RR pulley.

However, this is the first time I was able to document it and see raw data. Sometimes my boost gauge doesn’t pick up the quick drops, or I mean, it’s hard for me personally to watch it myself while speeding lol.

thats awesome!

Gates still doesnt have any longer 8 rib RPM belts sadly

I heard if you call Gates and ask them to make you an RPM one, they will do it. You just need to know the size you need. & they’ll also add it to their inventory list supposedly.

94slowbra1

Established Member

We are comparing two different animals here though. An older 3.4 that takes a ton of power to turn trying to hold 30lbs vs a newer 2.3 much more efficient blower holding 22lbs. OP is going to need all the help he can get, which apparently he now has and it's working.
I'm just excited there is a black belt option now and its going to work just as good if not better than my green belt!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I’m definitely on it. I need to redo the vacuum hoses because the vacuum hose at the rear base of the blower blew off while I was at WOT somewhere at end of 3rd shifting into 4th.

I’m definitely a believer now. I probably will get a bigger GripTec Pulley like a 3.0” and see what type of boost numbers it’ll provide. 28~30psi is a ton of boost lol, maybe too much for me right now.

Prior to that, I always used the Gates Green and I had it with...

2.75” upper, stock lower, 3x100mm Metco idler w/ 90mm Metco Aux idler.

I was having belt slip even with a 3.00” RR pulley.

However, this is the first time I was able to document it and see raw data. Sometimes my boost gauge doesn’t pick up the quick drops, or I mean, it’s hard for me personally to watch it myself while speeding lol.

I heard if you call Gates and ask them to make you an RPM one, they will do it. You just need to know the size you need. & they’ll also add it to their inventory list supposedly.

might have to try calling, ive talked to em on social media. I doubt my procharger combo is that common though

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

I think it's tough to compare the 2.3 vs a 2.9. It takes more effort to physically spin a 2.9 vs a 2.3. A 3.4 or 4.0 are worse still. So, to see anything approaching 28psi on an upper and factory lower combo is good! Most just go to a lower. But.....now that he's seeing a hit of 28psi and then pushing it to 30psi by redline is pretty damn phenomenal upper only

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad you guys like griptec. I won't waste anymore time with them. They remind me of many years ago dealing with Mac products.

How long of a belt do some of you need? I found a 78" RPM belt. Trying to figure out if that will work for my possible 3"/4lb lower combo.

94slowbra1

Established Member
If I measured right I'm going to need the k080828rpm which is 82.87". Right now I have the k080830 which is 83.75"

94slowbra1

Established Member
for the guys with rpm belts: when it says you need to be at 30% on the tensioner, is that up or down? meaning is the tensioner at 0 or 100 when there is no belt on it and its all the way up?

GM2Ford

Established Member
That's awesome! Told you it would feel like a new car up top. Glad it all worked out.
Better revise that tune and get some more fuel up top

If you notice in the data log picture, in 4th gear is when that damn vacuum hose blow off. A fraction of a second into 4th and vacuum when to flat line 0 lol, it shouldn’t look like that. I’m assuming it was slowly working it’s way off due to approaching 30psi lol.

Awesome results!

Good deal man. Griptec pulley's are worth the upgrade. Rpm belts are a nice addition.

I will forever be a believer in the RPM belts now. Literally every time I had the green belt, with which ever pulley combo, it stretched beyond the length it initially was when I’d 1st do one pull or something. They’d be tight 1st installing them new, then after that, it’d be easier, like I bought a size too big or something. I always wondered why this would happen but I thought it was ‘normal.’

I'm glad you guys like griptec. I won't waste anymore time with them. They remind me of many years ago dealing with Mac products.

How long of a belt do some of you need? I found a 78" RPM belt. Trying to figure out if that will work for my possible 3"/4lb lower combo.

Well, given with what’s going on right now in the world, I’d maybe say let’s give them the benefit. I ordered my RPM belt with 2 days shipping and it took an extra week past the 2 day shipping. I contacted them and they told me “due to prioritizing health concerns we may experience delays,” so I didn’t argue there lol.

& as far as the belt size. The RPM line of belts seem to differ slightly in size vs. the Green HD belts. So far, I picked one that was close to what I was currently running on my Green HD belt. It just so happened that I was using a belt that was already close to the recommended RPM belt length by tensioner load.

With my 2.75” upper only and 90mm aux idler, I was using a K080755HD belt. Which is 1931mm. So I went with the closest belt to that size whether or not it was smaller or larger. The closest one happened to be smaller by 10mm (1921mm) I think. The larger one was a bigger difference.

If I measured right I'm going to need the k080828rpm which is 82.87". Right now I have the k080830 which is 83.75"

You’d have to make sure your tensioner has the proper load on it was well. What does your tensioner position look like right now?

for the guys with rpm belts: when it says you need to be at 30% on the tensioner, is that up or down? meaning is the tensioner at 0 or 100 when there is no belt on it and its all the way up?

0% is when there’s no belt, 100% is when you are fully extending the tensioner swing arm to install a belt. So 20-30% of tension is where you want to be.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

they might be over run, not that it’s an excuse. My original procharger pulley didn’t clear the valve covers due to design issues (shoulders WAY thicker than any other pulley). They failed to return a call or two after saying they would get me a new one made and then it showed up at my house

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Centri guys might need belts over 100". I think my last Procharger set up took 110" belt.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you notice in the data log picture, in 4th gear is when that damn vacuum hose blow off. A fraction of a second into 4th and vacuum when to flat line 0 lol, it shouldn’t look like that. I’m assuming it was slowly working it’s way off due to approaching 30psi lol.

I will forever be a believer in the RPM belts now. Literally every time I had the green belt, with which ever pulley combo, it stretched beyond the length it initially was when I’d 1st do one pull or something. They’d be tight 1st installing them new, then after that, it’d be easier, like I bought a size too big or something. I always wondered why this would happen but I thought it was ‘normal.’

Well, given with what’s going on right now in the world, I’d maybe say let’s give them the benefit. I ordered my RPM belt with 2 days shipping and it took an extra week past the 2 day shipping. I contacted them and they told me “due to prioritizing health concerns we may experience delays,” so I didn’t argue there lol.

& as far as the belt size. The RPM line of belts seem to differ slightly in size vs. the Green HD belts. So far, I picked one that was close to what I was currently running on my Green HD belt. It just so happened that I was using a belt that was already close to the recommended RPM belt length by tensioner load.

With my 2.75” upper only and 90mm aux idler, I was using a K080755HD belt. Which is 1931mm. So I went with the closest belt to that size whether or not it was smaller or larger. The closest one happened to be smaller by 10mm (1921mm) I think. The larger one was a bigger difference.

You’d have to make sure your tensioner has the proper load on it was well. What does your tensioner position look like right now?

0% is when there’s no belt, 100% is when you are fully extending the tensioner swing arm to install a belt. So 20-30% of tension is where you want to be.
Here's the thing I understand that. Many months ago I emailed a few times, no reply.

Last week I called, talked to a lady (Amanda?) she said she's the one that answers the phone. Said if I don't hear back, call in two hours.

I did that. Then she had to talk with Doug? I measured my current pulley for her. She said again, I'll call right back.

Never heard anything again. She didn't mention anything about being super busy or you may not hear back because we are short staffed. Nothing of that nature.

How many more times should I try? I spend a lot of money on car parts. IMO this is poor communication and customer service. Maybe I expect to much?

94slowbra1

Established Member
I agree with you Brady, its very frustrating. Try the lower you already bought, you may not need the griptec once you install that

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you Brady, its very frustrating. Try the lower you already bought, you may not need the griptec once you install that
Yeah, I highly doubt I will. Was just going to purchase a griptec 2.6 to compare it with the carbonite coated pulley I'm currently using.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Honestly I'd go with the lower. Mine has had a 4lb lower on it for over 8 years and not single issue. Ive also never had belt slip and its hitting 25lbs right now, and my belts last a while with very minimal dust

Same here! although i was nowhere near 25lbs, I have ran the 3.75 upper and 4lb lower combo, and 90mm idlers for over 6 years w/HD green belt never really noticed any belt slip car ran great, and put down some decent numbers on 91oct.

I just recently converted to e85 (E70 tune) went with a 3.25 upper still using Gates green belt, car feels great! No belt slip that i have noticed in the last 175 miles, but hard to tell by just trying to look at the gauge. I did find it odd that i only hit 18lbs, although there are other variables involved.

Nevertheless the results some are posting from the grip tech and RPM belt are impressive, makes me want to data log and see if I'm losing any boost due to slip?

Users who are viewing this thread